9 May 2023
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
30 May 2023 - 23:00 (Europe/Lisbon)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Offer Starting Date
1 Jul 2023
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Research Engineer - Online sensor for remote measurement of contaminants of emerging concern and microplastics using Raman scattering techniques
Job Reference: Ref.04.23.19
Employer: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Group/Unit: Water Quality Research Group
Number of Vacancies: 1
Employment Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 20 months
Open Date for Applications: May 9th, 2023
Closing Date for Applications: May 30th, 2023, 23h00m (Lisbon Time)
Key words: #ramanspectroscopyandscattering, #microplasticsanalysis, #watercontaminants, #microfluidics
Would you like to be a key player in the development of cost effective online sensors for contaminants of emerging concern and microplastics for improving the monitoring of the water pollution derived from urban runoff?
INL is seeking a qualified research fellow for a collaborative project (D4RUNOFF - Data driven implementation of hybrid nature-based solutions for preventing and managing diffuse pollution from urban water runoff) funded by HORIZON Europe and relates to the topic “HORIZON-CL6-2021-ZEROPOLLUTION-01 – Clean environment and zero pollution”. One of the main objectives is the development of new online sensor for remote measurements of pollutants from urban water runoff. Thus, this project will be developed in the area of nanotechnology-enabled sensors for water quality monitoring whose main responsibility will be to support the Water Quality Research Group at INL under supervision of Dr. Laura Rodriguez-Lorenzo and Dr. Begoña Espiña.
The selected researcher will collaborate with international multidisciplinary teams and is expected to produce several technical and scientific documentation and work planning.
The selected research will undertake the following main activities and responsibilities:
- Develop innovative Raman strategies for the monitoring and identification of small microplastics (100 – 1 microns) in urban water runoff;
- Implement analytical methods for the classification by size of small microplastics;
- Develop innovative SERS sensors for the monitoring and identification of organic pollutants (e.g. pesticides);
- Synthesis and characterization of SERS substrates.
- Collaborate with international multidisciplinary teams with expertise in SERS and Raman sensors, microsystems and microfabrication technology, surface chemistry, microfluidics
- Produce several technical and scientific documentation as well as day-to-day management of work planning
- PhD in Nanotechnology, Material science, Chemistry or similar
- Experience in characterization and identification of microplastics in complex matrices by size and composition.
- Experience in synthesis and characterization of nanomaterials (i.e. electron microscopies, X-Ray diffraction (XRD), UV-Vis-NIR spectroscopy, dynamic light scattering, and sample preparation).
- Raman and surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS).
- SERS substrate design and fabrication.
- Surface and analytical chemistry.
- Microfluidics (fabrication and modelling) will be positively evaluated.
- “Strong motivation to work both independently and as part of a team in an interdisciplinary environment, with the ability to play close attention to details and to meet deadlines
- Communication, organizational and teamwork skills.
- “Hands-on” approach together with a high commitment in respecting working deadlines
- Highly organized and dynamic
- Competitive salary;
- Tax benefits and other Diplomatic privileges;
- Private health insurance;
- Family allowances (according to family situation);
- Free nursery service at INL premises (subject to availability);
- Support for education fees of dependent children;
- Relocation support;
- 30 working days of annual leave.
How to Apply
The application must be in English and include the following mandatory documents:
a) Cover letter;
b) Curriculum Vitae;
c) Academic and/or Professional diplomas;
Online application instructions:
Incomplete applications including the failure to provide mandatory documents or providing inaccurate information will result in the application not being considered.
How the Selection Process works
A. Applications eligibility check
This stage will be carried out on the basis of the mandatory requirements, education, experience and technical skills defined for the job, as well as the validation of the mandatory documents. Only candidates who meet the eligibility criteria will move forward to the next stage.
B. CV Assessment
The Selection Committee will evaluate the eligible applications based on their CV and other submitted documents and the suitability for the position. The best ranked candidates will be shortlisted for the interview stage(s).
The interview(s) may be done in different formats: video recording, online or onsite.
The question based interview will evaluate the match between the candidate’s profile and the requirements for the position, including the technical and personal skills. To better support this stage, the candidate may be requested to prepare a short presentation.
The selected candidate will be nominated and formally offered the position, including the disclosure of the contractual conditions.
We highly value your interest in becoming part of the INL experience and it is important for us to maintain good communications with all candidates. No matter the outcome of your application, we will always provide you with feedback.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL follows a non-discrimination and equal access principle, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of and duties based on any possible discriminatory issues.
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int ), is the first and only Intergovernmental Organisation in the world entirely focused on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
It was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research, deploy and communicate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to be a recognised leading global nanotechnology innovation hub.
- Research Field
- Education Level
- PhD or equivalent
- Number of offers available
- INL - International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory
Where to apply
Av. Mestre José Veiga, S/N
- Postal Code
Assistant Professor Multi Scale Hydrological Assessment Through Modelling And Data Integration, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
Vacancies Assistant Professor Multi-scale hydrological assessment through modelling and data integration Key takeaways Freshwater is crucial to sustain life, economic development and the environme...
Research Scientist (W/M/D) Agriculture, Leibniz, Germany, about 2 hours ago
The mission of the Leibniz Centre for Agricultural Landscape Research (ZALF) as a nationally and internationally active research institute is to deliver economically, environmentally and socially ...
Eng D On Biomass Conversion Technologies, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
Vacancies EngD on Biomass Conversion Technologies Key takeaways In this position you will have the opportunity to develop your EngD studies on the design and experimental testing of a lab-scale bi...
Research Engineer (Raman Spectroscopy And Imaging), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
Job Description We are looking for highly motivated candidate with experience in Raman spectroscopy and OCT imaging, fiberoptic design and fabrications to work on fiberoptic optical spectroscopy a...
Chair And Full/Associate Professor Of Civil Engineering, University of Mississippi, United States, about 10 hours ago
The School of Engineering at the University of Mississippi is seeking an experienced educator, researcher, and administrator for the position of Chair of Civil Engineering. The faculty appointment...
Doctoral Student In Theoretical Chemistry (Msca Cofund Project Prismas) (Pa2023/2726) , University of Lund, Sweden, about 4 hours ago
PRISMAS - PhD Research and Innovation in Synchrotron Methods and Applications in Sweden – is a new doctoral network training the next generation of 40 leading synchrotron experts, co-funded by the...