Clinical Laboratory Technologist/Technician - Histology SL1 - SL3 - PER DIEM
At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist/Technician is a valuable member of our team, who provides clinical services to our patient population and follows all laboratory procedures and protocols with interpretation of such policies as necessary to ensure proper patient care and safe work equipment.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist/Technician may include but are not limited to the following:
- Will paraffin and embed the following: biopsy, routine surgical specimens, placenta, autopsy and research tissue.
- Perform paraffin microtomy techniques which include the use of the microtome to produce 2-5 micron sections.
- Stain, coverslip and case assemble, label and distribute all prepared histology sections.
- Follow all appropriate protocols for all LIS systems: Copath, Ventana Benchmark, Ultra, Symphony, Vantage and Copath.
- Will complete all routine and special requests for additional levels, recuts, special stains and immunohistochemistry requests; verifying each upon completion in Copath and documenting the above for QA purposes.
- Perform the battery of special stains and immunohistochemistry used in diagnostic histopathology.
- Rotate responsibility for the above and perform the necessary maintenance of all laboratory instrumentation, including but not limited to the changing of instrument reagents used to process, stain and coverslip tissue. Responsible for appropriate QA documentation with regard to maintenance and temperature logs to be performed on a daily basis.
- As assigned, assists Pathologists by grossing biopsy specimens.
Required : BS degree in biology, medical technology or other life sciences, or an AAS degree from an accredited program in Histotechnology. Good interpersonal and communication skills are considered essential for this position. HT (ASCP) or eligible.
SL-1: NYS License as Clinical Laboratory Technologist or documented eligibility and 0-2 years demonstrated relevant laboratory experience. SL-2: NYS License as Clinical Laboratory Technologist or documented eligibility and 2-5 years demonstrated relevant laboratory experience. SL-3: NYS License as Clinical Laboratory Technologist or documented eligibility with a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated relevant laboratory experience.
SL-1: NYS License as Clinical Laboratory Technician or Histological Technician or documented eligibility and 0-2 years demonstrated relevant laboratory experience.
SL-2: NYS License as Clinical Laboratory Technician or Histological Technician or documented eligibility and 3-5 years demonstrated relevant laboratory experience.
Preferred : Minimum one year Histology clinical laboratory experience, to include: Experience with special stains, Immunohistochemistry staining , Microtomy and grossing biopsies.
Special Notes : Resume/CV should be included with the online application.
In accordance with the New York State Department of Health (DOH) regulation that all hospitals and nursing homes “continuously require all personnel to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19,” Candidates who are not already partially vaccinated must obtain the first dose of the vaccine within three (3) calendar days of acceptance of conditional job offer and must obtain any subsequent doses in accordance with the vaccine protocol Candidates who are partially vaccinated, but not yet fully vaccinated, must complete their vaccination series within three (3) calendar days of job offer or in accordance with vaccine manufacture protocol, whichever comes later.
The regulation also includes those who may be affiliated with or interact with employees of a hospital or nursing home. The regulation allows for limited exemptions with reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable law.
Posting Overview : This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. Candidates are advised on the application that for full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date (which is within two weeks of the posting date).
If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date. Please note, that if no candidate were identified and hired within 90 days from initial posting, the posting would close for review, and possibly reposted at a later date.
- Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
- All Hospital positions maybe subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary.
- This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
- This function/position maybe designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services*
- Complete electronic reference check with a minimum of three (3) professional references.
- Successfully complete a 4 panel drug screen*
- Meet Regulatory Requirements for pre employment screenings.
- Provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s).
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
*The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Office of Equity and Access at (631)632-6280.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here .
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Official Job Title: TH Clinical Laboratory Technologist I
: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Histology
: Per Diem
:Variable Shift Hours: variable Pass Days: Variable
Posting Start Date
: Jan 25, 2023
Posting End Date
: Apr 25, 2023, 11:59:00 PM
Salary:Commensurate with experience
SBU Area:Stony Brook University Hospital
Histology Technician, UNIVERSITY OF SURREY, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
FHMS Faculty Admin Location: Guildford Salary: £24,948 to £26,396 Post Type: Full Time Closing Date: 23.59 hours GMT on Monday 13 February 2023 Reference: 002823 An exciting opportunity has arisen...
Senior Laboratory Technician, VIB, Belgium, about 16 hours ago
The laboratory of Angiogenesis and Vascular Metabolism headed by Prof. Peter Carmeliet is one of the laboratories of the Center for Cancer Biology (VIB-KU Leuven CCB), a research department of VIB...
Lab Helper B (Quail), McGill University, Canada, 27 days ago
Hiring Unit: Rosalind and Morris Goodman Cancer Research Centre Position Summary: Assists in performing laboratory tests: staining of histology slides Tissue Processing and embedding, slide labeli...
Associate Research Scientist Faculty Position In Diagnostic Pathogen Detection. , Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Neurosurgery, United States, 15 days ago
The Department of Neurosurgery at the Yale University School of Medicine seeks a faculty level Associate Research Scientist to work at the cutting edge of diagnostic methodologies for human pathog...
Research Associate, Temple University, United States, 5 days ago
Research Associate - (23000318) Description Grade: T25 The Burdo laboratory in the Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Inflammation and Center for NeuroVirology and Gene Editing at the Le...
Faculty Positions In Neurobiology, Westlake University, Westlake University, Spain, 21 days ago
Westlake University is a new type of non-profit, research-oriented university in Hangzhou, China. It is creating a stimulating, world-class environment for interdisciplinary research and education...