10th June 2023
The Department of Geoscience and Petroleum has vacancies for
Three (3) Postdoctoral positions within SUBPRO Zero - IV-87/23
Apply for this job
This is NTNU
NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim.
At NTNU, 9,000 employees and 43,000 students work to create knowledge for a better world.
You can find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here .
(Video unable to load from YouTube. Accept cookie and refresh page to watch video, or click here to open video)
About the job
The postdoctoral fellowship position is a temporary position where the main goal is to qualify for work in senior academic positions.
We have three (3) vacancies for 2-year Postdoctoral fellowships at the Department of Geoscience and Petroleum (IGP).
The Postdoctoral fellowships are a part of the research center SUBPRO-Zero (SUstainable Bridge PROgram towards Zero emissions), that has the mission to conduct fundamental and applied research to contribute to net-zero emissions in the offshore industry. Industrial partners include Neptune Energy, Equinor, Aker BP, Total Energies, Vår Energi, DNV, Aker Solutions and Kongsberg Digital.
The overall objectives of each project are:
- “Decision-support methods for holistic water management (water value chain)”: This project will focus on the development and evaluation of methods for real-time water management strategies considering the integrated system from topside facilities, transportation and injection and several technical and operational constraints. The work will be based on integrated modeling and will leverage numerical optimization.
- “Lean designs for carbon dioxide subsea injection systems”: The overall objective is to explore new optimal designs and materials for subsea CO2 injection systems, considering operational variations in pressure, temperature and flow and safety requirements. This will hopefully lead to the development of lean CO2 injection systems that are cost-effective, safe and fit for purpose. Several aspects will be considered such as: structural integrity, compatibility of materials, cost-effectiveness, safety, carbon footprint, testing requirements.
- “Design and operation of subsea oil and gas fields powered by renewable sources”: The overall goal is to study the feasibility and methods to design and operate subsea fields to adapt to the limitations in available power while ensuring uninterrupted operations.
The Postdoctoral fellow is assigned to the Department of Geoscience and Petroleum (IGP). Besides working on research, the Postdoctoral fellow is expected to work on dissemination and knowledge-transfer activities (presentations in events arranged by the consortium and article publishing in journal and conferences). The postdoctoral fellow is also expected to supervise and/or co-supervise master students. The postdoctoral fellow is expected to potentially collaborate with other PhD and postdoc projects considering her/his interests and proficiency.
The postdoctoral fellows are supervised by Associate Prof. Milan Stanko from the Department of Geoscience and Petroleum (IGP).
You will report to the Head of Department of Geoscience and Petroleum (IGP) at NTNU.
When applying, please indicate for what position are you applying to. It is possible to apply for several positions simultaneously.
Duties of the position
- The postdoctoral fellow is expected to perform research on the topic assigned
- The postdoctoral fellow is expected to participate and contribute to activities organized by the SUBPRO-Zero center
- The postdoctoral fellow is expected to make publication of articles in conferences and journals
- The postdoctoral fellow is expected to supervise/co-supervise undergraduate students
Required selection criteria
- You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, petroleum engineering, process engineering. If you can document that the PhD thesis has been submitted, your application can be assessed even if you have not yet defended your dissertation. Documentation of the obtained doctoral degree must be presented before you can take up the position.
- You must have a professionally relevant background in physics or engineering, e.g. within one of the following engineering fields: mechanical, chemical, process, petroleum engineering.
- Good written and oral English language skills are essential.
- The candidate should have prior and documented experience within fluid mechanics, solid mechanics, and using programming to solve engineering problems that require modeling.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, Ph.D Candidate, research assistant and specialist candidate.
Preferred selection criteria
- It is an advantage if the candidate has prior experience within any of the following topics: topside processing, numerical optimization, integrated asset modeling, CO2 injection, design and operation of subsea oil and gas production systems.
- A high level of personal responsibility and initiative
- Work independently as well as part of a team in accordance with the project objectives
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 563 500 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
The period of employment is 2 years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants , and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU.
After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include (Departments to choose from the following):
- CV and certificates
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's-, master's- and PhD degrees. If you have not yet completed your Ph.D, you must provide confirmation on your estimated date for the doctoral dissertation, or that your PhD thesis has been submitted
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 items)
- Research plan
- Name and contact information of three referees
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here . If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Working at NTNU
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is a strength. We want our faculty and staff to reflect Norway’s culturally diverse population and we continuously seek to hire the best minds. This enables NTNU to increase productivity and innovation, improve decision making processes, raise employee satisfaction, compete academically with global top-ranking institutions and carry out our social responsibilities within education and research. NTNU emphasizes accessibility and encourages qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender identity, ability status, periods of unemployment or ethnic and cultural background.
NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions and has a number of resources to promote equality .
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation . You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Professor Milan Stanko, telephone +47 735 94 944, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR Consultant Anne-Lise Brekken, e-mail: email@example.com.
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Export control regulations
Since the topic of the project is within oil and gas technology and energy, it is likely regulations related to export control must be followed. Export control regulations are imposed by the Norwegian government to control knowledge and technology transfer to ensure there are no violations to Norwegian defense and security policies and to avoid Norwegian goods, services and technology are used for the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. Specifically, if there are relevant applicants from the following countries: Russia, Iran, North Korea, China and Pakistan, a special request for license must be made to the Directorate of Foreign Affairs, which can take significant time.
Application deadline: 10.06.2023.
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Geoscience and Petroleum
We conduct teaching and research related to management of Earth’s geological resources. Norway’s rich resources of wind, water, oil, gas and minerals have been and are essential to the country’s prosperity, and will continue to be in the future. The Department plays a key role in the development of technology and the education of graduates who enable value creation based on our natural resources. The Department of Geoscience and Petroleum is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Apply for this job
10th June 2023
NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Fulltime (1 positions) Fulltime (%)
Place of service
Institutt for geovitenskap og petroleum
Postdoc Position In Acoustic Methods For Prediction Of Geological Conditions While Drilling, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
About the job We have a vacancy for a PostDoc candidate at the Department of Geoscience and Petroleum (IGP) in Acoustic methods for detection and prediction of geological features while drilling -...
Postdoc Position In Acoustic Methods For Prediction Of Geological Conditions While Drilling, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 21 days ago
31 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology Department Department of Geoscience and Petroleum Research Field Engineering » Geological engin...
Postdoc In Advanced Modeling Of Filtering And Reinjection Of Dispersed Oil Droplets – Dtu Chemical Engineering, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 4 days ago
A 1-year postdoctoral position in advanced modeling of filtration separation of oil droplets from water produced from a petroleum reservoir is available at the Department of Chemical and Biochemic...
Post Doctoral Fellow, Environmental Engineering, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
Position Overview KU is seeking a highly motivated Post-doctoral Fellow to work on a joint project between Khalifa University and King Fahad University of Petroleum and Minerals. The project aims ...
Post Doctoral Fellow, Environmental Engineering, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Arab Emirates, 15 days ago
7 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KHALIFA UNIVERSITY Research Field Chemistry Engineering Environmental science Geosciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage ...
Research Assistant, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, about 9 hours ago
Research Assistant Recruiter KHALIFA UNIVERSITY Location Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Posted 21 Sep 2023 End of advertisement period 21 Oct 2023 Ref 230000IL Academic Discipline Engineering & T...