Postdoctoral Research Fellow within environmental toxicology and cell biology of marine mammals
Apply for this job
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
(Video unable to load from YouTube. Accept cookie and refresh page to watch video, or click here to open video)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
At the Department of Biological Sciences, there is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position within environmental toxicology. The position is for a fixed term of three years and is associated with the project "Whales and polar bear in a petri dish: decoding marine mammal toxicology through in vitro and in silico approaches", funded by the Research Council of Norway (NFR).
About the project/work tasks:
The main aim of this exciting project is to establish fundamental knowledge about toxicological defense systems of marine mammals by characterizing functional properties of the molecular components of this system, as well as cellular responses in cell cultures from different species of marine mammals. Another aim is to integrate bioinformatic analyses of genome and transcriptome data with available reports on gene expression in biopsies from marine animals in nature. The project is funded by the Research Council of Norway, is linked to the Centre for Digital Life Norway, and has nine partners in Norway, Spain, Portugal, and USA.
The successful candidate will have the overall responsibility of establishing techniques for culturing, reprogramming and differentiation of cell cultures from selected species of marine mammals, toxicological exposure studies, and analyses of different molecular and cellular endpoints with advanced methods. This also involves establishing toxicogenomic analyses and studies of receptor activation using reporter assays and in silico modelling, as well as bioinformatic analyses.
We are seeking a highly motivated candidate who masters relevant technologies at a theoretical as well as practical level, and with ambitions to develop their academic career. The position will involve some travelling both nationally and internationally, and a research stay abroad with one of the partners is an option.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within environmental toxicology, cell biology, molecular biology or other relevant field. PhD-students may apply if defence of the PhD-thesis is completed by August 5, 2023. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Experience from working with cell biology and molecular biology is a requirement.
- Experience from experiments with environmental toxicology and marine mammal cells is an advantage.
- Experience with transcriptomics, proteomics, and/or lipidomics, as well as in silico modelling and bioinformatic analyses is an advantage.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Applicants must have excellent skills in oral and written English.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Research experience, ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The postdoctoral position is a fixed term position with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. If the appointee lacks teaching experience, or other relevant qualifications, the employment period may be increased to 3 years and 6 months. Teaching and other duties will in such cases be added to the position. (The department will fund the extra months.) The position may be extended by up to one year (maximum 4 years in total) if the appointee is granted externally financed research stays abroad. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution. In accordance with the Research Council’s rules, neither can anyone be hired more than once as an NFR-financed postdoctoral research fellow.
For postdoctoral research fellow positions associated with externally financed projects, the completion of the project proposal for the qualifying work, as well as a progress plan, will be developed in cooperation with the supervisor and head of department.
It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer:
- a good and professionally stimulating working environment.
- position as postdoctoral fellow (code 1352 in the basic collective agreement) and a gross annual salary of NOK 604 900 (equivalent to pay grade 62) upon appointment. Further increases in salary are made according to length of service in the position. A higher salary may be considered for a particularly well-qualified applicant.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- Good welfare benefits .
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- the names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- transcripts and diplomas. If you have not yet completed your PhD degree, please submit a statement from your institution confirming the expected date of award of your degree. Your PhD degree must be documented with transcripts and/or diploma, alternatively a confirmation from your institution on completed degree, by August 5, 2023.
- relevant certificates/referenceslist of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- publications (as applicable)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge
For further details about the position, please contact professor Anders Goksøyr , Department of Biological Sciences, UiB.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
Upon the expiry of the closing date for applications, an evaluation committee will be appointed. As an applicant, you have a right of access to the committee’s description of your formal and professional qualifications. If you wish to take advantage of this right of access, please contact the executive officer in charge after receiving information about the appointment of the evaluation committee.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here .
About The University of Bergen (UiB)
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are seven departments and several centres at Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Read more about the faculty and departments.
Apply for this job
31st May 2023
University of Bergen
Fulltime (1 positions) Fulltime (%)
Place of service
Institutt for biovitenskap
See more jobs
- Vacant positions - University of Bergen
Find more jobs
Link to startpage
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Neuroscience, University of Bergen, Norway, 22 days ago
8 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Bergen Department Department of Biomedicine Research Field Biological sciences » Biology Neurosciences » Neurobiology Neurosciences » ...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Neuroscience , University of Bergen, Norway, about 5 hours ago
6th October 2023 Languages English English English Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Neuroscience Apply for this job See advertisement UiB - Knowledge that shapes society Through robust and close in...
Postdoctoral Studies In Stem Cell Biology And Spinal Cord Regeneration (Scholarship) , Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 10 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? We are an international, multidisciplinary research team dedicated to revealing mechanisms that are responsible for successful regenerati...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Neuroscience And/Or Human Stem Cell Based Neuronal Models, UNIVERSITY OF HELSINKI, United Kingdom, 25 days ago
INVITATION FOR APPLICATIONS Postdoctoral researcher We are looking for a skilled postdoctoral fellow with a background in neuroscience and/or human stem cell based neuronal models at the Institute...
Research Fellow (Immunotherapy Development For Pancreatic Cancer Treatment), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
Job Description The National University of Singapore invites applications for Postdoctoral Research Fellow for “Immunotherapy development for pancreatic cancer treatment” in the laboratory of Dr M...
Research Fellow (Biological Sciences), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
Job Description Research Fellow Position in Cultured Seafood Meat My Laboratory in National University of Singapore (Department of Biological Sciences) is seeking a highly-motivated Research Fello...