About the position
A fixed-term 100 % position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Humanities and Education as a Post-doctoral Research Fellow in environmental history, affiliated to the Department of Religion, Ethics and History, for a period of 2 years. The position is located, at present, at Campus Kristiansand.
The starting date is negotiable with the Faculty.
The Postdoctoral position will be part of the research project Deadly Dreams – The Cultural History of Poison, 1840-2020. The project investigates the cultural history of environmental poisons from a generational perspective, at different areas of society and over time. The project focus on humans everyday experiences with harmful substances that, whether known or unknown at the time, caused degraded living conditions and harm to human- or environmental health.
The project is part of an international research network in environmental humanities. It analyses the historical background for The Toxic Epidemic, one of the present day´s major challenges for the environment, health, living conditions and sustainability. The person who is engaged must join in close cooperation with the project leader and the rest of the research group.
The postdoc researcher must work within the joint theoretical and methodical framework of the research project and design and carry out a sub-project within this joint project. This sub-project shall include one international research review of historical studies of environmental poisons and one in-depth case study of a relevant set of historical primary sources. The postdoc position will also involve some research-administrative tasks, and it will be expected that the candidate contributes in the development of the research group and the training environments around the PhDs and MA-students in the research group.
Further provisions relating to the positions as Post-doctoral Research Fellows can be found in the Regulations Concerning Terms and Conditions of Employment for the post of Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Research Assistant and Resident.
- PhD in history with a thematic focus after 1840
- Experience with social, cultural or environmental historical research perspectives
- Experience with working with historical primary sources
- A three-page project description as the basis for discussion of the post doc´s own sub-project.
- Candidates must have defended their PhD-thesis prior to the application deadline
The working language of the research group is Scandinavian and English. The person employed must be fluent in Scandinavian and / or English, oral and written.
- It is desirable that applicants will have presented their theses during the last five years.
Emphasis will be placed upon the project description and the relevance it has with regard to the subject in question and the research environment at the Faculty.
- Good cooperative skills, enthusiasm and flexibility
- Motivation to contribute to the development of results, coherence, theoretical advancements and progress within the joint research project
- Motivation for and ability to help develop the research competence of the junior researchers in the project
- Ability to adopt and apply relevant theoretical perspectives
- Good skills in communication and dissemination of research
Personal qualities and suitability for the position will be emphasised
- participation in an innovative and international research group
- Mentoring by the project leader in the process of building competence and qualifications in the postdoc position
- professional development in a large, exciting, and socially influential organisation
- a positive, inclusive and diverse working environment
- modern facilities and a comprehensive set of welfare offers
- membership of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
More about working at UiA.
The position is remunerated according to the State Salary Scale, salary plan 17.510, code 1352, NOK 553 500 – 574 700 gross salary per year. Higher salary grades may be considered for particularly well-qualified applicants. A compulsory pension contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the pay according to current statutory provisions.
UiA is an open and inclusive university. We believe that diversity enriches the workplace and makes us better. We, therefore, encourage qualified candidates to apply for the position independent of gender, age, cultural background, disability or an incomplete CV.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
The successful applicant will have rights and obligations in accordance with the current regulations for the position, and organisational changes and changes in the duties and responsibilities of the position must be expected. The appointment is made by the University of Agder’s Appointments Committee for Teaching and Research Positions.
Short-listed applicants will be invited for an interview. With the applicant’s permission, UiA will also conduct a reference check before the appointment. Read more about the employment process.
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act § 25 (2), applicants may request that they are not identified in the open list of applicants. The University, however, reserves the right to publish the names of applicants. Applicants will be advised of the University’s intention to exercise this right.
In case of discrepancies between the Norwegian and the English version of this description, the Norwegian version takes precedence.
The application and any necessary information about education and experience (including diplomas and certificates) are to be sent electronically. Use the link "Apply for this job".
The following documentation must be uploaded electronically:
- Certificates with grades
- List of publications
- Doctoral thesis
- Up to 10 academic articles and R&D projects which the candidate wishes to particularly emphasise for the assessment process
- A description of the applicant’s research interests, the background for the thesis question that the applicant wishes to work on, and its relevance for the advertised position. A brief overview of relevant research pertaining to the design of assignments and relevant issues for research should also be included here
- Project plan
- Any other relevant documentation
The applicant is fully responsible for submitting complete digital documentation before the closing date. All documentation must be available in a Scandinavian language or English.
Application deadline: 14.12.2021
For questions about the position:
For questions about the application process:
Ph D Research Fellow In Electrochemistry For Lithium Ion Batteries , University of Agder, Norway, about 9 hours ago
PhD Research Fellow in electrochemistry for lithium-ion batteries Apply for this job See advertisement About the position A 100% position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engine...
Ph D Research Fellow In Degradation Of Lithium Ion Batteries , University of Agder, Norway, about 9 hours ago
PhD Research Fellow in degradation of lithium-ion batteries Apply for this job See advertisement About the position A 100% position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engineering ...
Researcher/Posdoctoral Fellow, Across Domain Investigations In Multilingualism, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
About the position One 2-year position as Researcher/Postdoctoral Fellow in Multilingualism is available in the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU The Norwegian University of Science an...
Researcher/Posdoctoral Fellow "Across Domain Investigations In Multilingualism" , NTNU, Norway, 3 days ago
This is NTNU NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim. A...
Postdoc Position In Design, Body And Well Being In Play, Syddansk University, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
We are inviting applicants interested in critical scholarly inquiry into body-centred design methods in the context of design for play, for a 2-year Postdoc Position starting 1 September 2022. The...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Sustainability Assessment Of Fish Feed Alternatives, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 12 days ago
About the position There is a temporary position available at the Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management (IØT) as Postdoctoral Fellow for a period of 2 years. The position is...