10th December 2023
- Norsk Nynorsk
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in climate dynamics
Apply for this job
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
(Video unable to load from YouTube. Accept cookie and refresh page to watch video, or click here to open video)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
There is a vacancy for a Postdoc position in climate dynamics at the Geophysical Institute and the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research. The position is for a fixed-term period of 3 years and is associated with the project “Overturning circulation in the new Arctic (ArMOC)” funded by the Research Council of Norway. The project includes international partners from UK, USA, and Sweden.
About the project/work tasks
The overturning circulation in the Nordic Seas and Arctic Ocean involves the transformation of warm Atlantic waters into cold, dense overflows. These overflow waters return to the North Atlantic and form the headwaters to the deep limb of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (AMOC). The Arctic climate is currently transitioning to a new, warmer, seasonally ice-free climate state, and this could have important implications for the Arctic overturning circulation. Understanding the changing processes of dense-water formation at the northern extremity of the AMOC is therefore important, as these headwaters to the lower limb of the AMOC affect the variability and potential predictability of the AMOC farther south and may sustain the AMOC even as overturning south of the Greenland-Scotland Ridge weakens in a warming climate.
The appointed postdoctoral researcher will investigate how present and future Arctic climate change impacts the Arctic overturning circulation. This will be achieved by:
- Quantifying changes in Atlantic Water modification along the Atlantic Water Boundary Current.
- Identifying changes in Atlantic Water pathways in present and future climates using Lagrangian simulations.
- Determining the effects of a changing climate on the Arctic overturning circulation.
The Postdoc will perform coordinated analysis of observations, ocean reanalyses, numerical models, and their intercomparison.
As a Postdoc at the Geophysical Institute at University of Bergen, you will also be affiliated with the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research (BCCR). BCCR is the largest climate research centre in the Nordic countries and among the leading centres in Europe. The working environment is highly international with around 200 scientists from 37 countries.
Applications are invited from candidates with experience in, and interest for, ocean circulation, air-ice-sea interaction and climate dynamics, in particular in high-latitude oceans.
Qualifications and personal qualities
- Applicants must hold a PhD degree in climate dynamics, physical oceanography, meteorology, physics, applied mathematics or related fields, or have submitted their doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline.
- Applicants must have experience in statistical analysis of ocean/climate data from numerical models.
- Knowledge of ocean and climate variability and ocean circulation and air-sea interaction in the Arctic is an advantage.
- Experience in scientific programming (e.g., Matlab, Python) is an advantage.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and demonstrate good collaborative skills.
- Applicants must have excellent skills in oral and written English.
Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized. Ambitions and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
Special requirements for the position
The University of Bergen is subjected to the regulation for export control system. The regulation will be applied in the processing of the applications.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow
The postdoctoral position is a fixed term position with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. If the appointee lacks teaching experience, or other relevant qualifications, the employment period may be increased with up to 12 months. Teaching and other duties will in such cases be added to the position. The position may be extended by up to one year (maximum 4 years in total) if the appointee is granted externally financed research stays abroad. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution. In accordance with the Research Council’s rules, neither can anyone be hired more than once as an NFR-financed postdoctoral research fellow.
For postdoctoral research fellow positions associated with externally financed projects, the completion of the project proposal for the qualifying work, as well as a progress plan, will be developed in cooperation with the supervisor and head of department.
It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer
- a good and professionally challenging working environment
- position as postdoctoral fellow (code 1352 in the basic collective agreement) and a gross annual salary of NOK 615 700 (equivalent to pay grade 63) upon appointment. Further increases in salary are made according to length of service in the position. A higher salary may be considered for a particularly well-qualified applicant.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- good welfare benefits
Your application must include
- a brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position. The applicant must address how the applicant fulfils the required qualifications and personal qualities.
- the names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD program.
- transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted.
- relevant certificates/references
- a list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- publications (as applicable)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge
For further details about the position, please contact Dr. Marius Årthun ([email protected]).
For HR related questions contact Maria Svåsand: e-mail: [email protected]
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here .
About The University of Bergen (UiB)
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are seven departments and several centres at Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Read more about the faculty and departments.
Apply for this job
10th December 2023
University of Bergen
Fulltime (1 positions) Fulltime (%)
Place of service
Allegaten 70, 5007 Bergen
Postdoctoral Research Fellow Position Within Deep Sea Microbiology, University of Bergen, Norway, 6 days ago
27 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Bergen Department Department of Biological Sciences Research Field Biological sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) ...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow Position Within Deep Sea Microbiology, University of Bergen, Norway, about 9 hours ago
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position within Deep Sea Microbiology Apply for this job See advertisement UiB - Knowledge that shapes society Through robust and close interaction with the world arou...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Satellite And Airborne Altimetry For Observing Arctic Summer, UiT The Arctic University of Norway, Norway, 24 days ago
9 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company UiT The Arctic University of Norway Department Department of Physics and Technology Research Field Technology » Communication technology Technology ...
Postdoc Position Low Resolution Global Climate Modelling: Dynamics And Forecasting, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain, 12 days ago
21 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Universitat de Barcelona Department Organisation profile Research Field Environmental science Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country...
Ph D Research Fellow In Machine Learning And Geomatics On Natural Hydrocarbon Seepage, University of Bergen, Norway, about 9 hours ago
PhD Research Fellow in machine learning and geomatics on natural hydrocarbon seepage Apply for this job See advertisement UiB - Knowledge that shapes society Through robust and close interaction w...
Ph D Research Fellow In Machine Learning And Geomatics On Natural Hydrocarbon Seepage, University of Bergen, Norway, 9 days ago
23 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Bergen Department Department of Earth Science Research Field Geosciences » Geology Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Cou...