6 Jun 2023
NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Research Field
Engineering » Civil engineering
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
22 Jul 2023 - 23:59 (Europe/Oslo)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
This is NTNU
NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim.
At NTNU, 9,000 employees and 43,000 students work to create knowledge for a better world.
You can find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here .
About the job
The postdoctoral fellowship position is a temporary position where the main goal is to qualify for work in senior academic positions.
The position is part of a joint research project with several partners from Norwegian research institutions and industry. More information about the research program can be found at https://www.viacluster.no/project/gronn-plattform (In Norwegian). The research for the post doc position will be in WP3 focusing on environmentally friendly asphalt, local granular materials, and recycled materials.
Your immediate leader is Head of the department, but you will also be part of a smaller research group.
Duties of the position
- Participation in the research activities in the project in cooperation with partners
- Participate in innovation activities in the project in cooperation with partners
- Publish results of research and innovations
Required selection criteria
- You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree or a corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD in civil engineering preferably in asphalt and/or unbound granular materials for road construction. If you can document that the PhD thesis has been submitted, your application can be assessed even if you have not yet defended your dissertation. Documentation of the obtained doctoral degree must be presented before you can take up the position
- Documented good written and oral English language skills and experience in scientific writing are required
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, Ph.D Candidate, research assistant and specialist candidate.
Preferred selection criteria
- Knowledge on environmental assessment tools/methods e.g. LCA is an advantage
- Understanding of a Scandinavian language is an advantage
- Since the project involves several research and industrial partners good communication and cooperation skills will be necessary to succeed
- Ability to combine theoretical knowledge with practical building procedures is important
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities.
- Exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- Close cooperation in a project team with academic and practical oriented partners
- An open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- Favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 594 500 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
The period of employment is 2 years without teaching duties.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants , and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU.
After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English or Scandinavian.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV and certificates
- Transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's-, master's- and PhD degrees. If you have not yet completed your Ph.D, you must provide confirmation on your estimated date for the doctoral dissertation, or that your PhD thesis has been submitted
- A copy of the doctoral thesis. If you are close to submitting, or have recently submitted your thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed doctoral degree must be presented before taking up the position
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 5 items)
- Research plan - How do you see your contribution to the project (max two pages)
- Name and contact information of three referees
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here . If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Working at NTNU
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is a strength. We want our faculty and staff to reflect Norway’s culturally diverse population and we continuously seek to hire the best minds. This enables NTNU to increase productivity and innovation, improve decision making processes, raise employee satisfaction, compete academically with global top-ranking institutions and carry out our social responsibilities within education and research. NTNU emphasizes accessibility and encourages qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender identity, ability status, periods of unemployment or ethnic and cultural background.
NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions and has a number of resources to promote equality .
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation . You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Inge Hoff, email email@example.com . If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR Consultant Tone Måsøval Arntzen email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 22.07.2023
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
We conduct research and teaching in civil and transportation engineering, technical planning, structural engineering, water and wastewater engineering and hydraulic engineering. Graduates from our programmes become employees – in both the public and private sectors – with a sustainability mindset combined with competitive knowledge and skills. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
- Research Field
- Engineering » Civil engineering
- Education Level
- PhD or equivalent
- Number of offers available
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Postal Code
- Høgskoleringen 1
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Postdoctoral Fellow In Battery Separator Research , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 22 hours ago
15th October 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Chemical Engineering has a vacancy for a Postdoctoral Fellow in battery separator research Apply for this job See advertisemen...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Atomistic Modelling Of Electrolytes For Battery Applications , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 22 hours ago
15th October 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Materials Science and Engineering has a vacancy for a Postdoctoral Fellow in Atomistic Modelling of Electrolytes for Battery A...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Molecular Biology/Gene Editing In Diatoms , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 22 hours ago
1st October 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Biology has a vacancy for a Postdoctoral Fellow in molecular biology/gene editing in diatoms Apply for this job See advertiseme...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Human Computer Interactions In Learning Technologies , NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, about 22 hours ago
30th September 2023 Languages English English English The Department of Computer Science has a vacancy for a Postdoctoral Fellow Postdoctoral Fellow in Human-computer interactions in learning tech...
Postdoc Within Simulation Based Testing With Automatic Scenario Generation And Adaptation, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
About the job We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral fellow to join our team for a two-year fellowship position. The primary objective of this position is to qualify for senior academic ro...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Battery Separator Research, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, about 22 hours ago
About the job The postdoctoral fellowship position is a temporary position where the main goal is to qualify for work in senior academic positions. The successful applicant will work for the 3S ba...