8 May 2023
University of Bergen
Department of Linguistic, Literary and Aesthetic Studies
- Research Field
Language sciences » Other
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
1 Jun 2023 - 23:59 (Europe/Oslo)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
PhD Research Fellowship
The Department of Linguistic, Literary and Aesthetic Studies invites applications for a PhD position in Sign Language Linguistics connected to the NONMANUAL project commencing 01.09.2023, or as agreed. The position is for a fixed-term period of four years.
About the Project
The project “Fundamentals of formal properties of nonmanuals: A quantitative approach” (NONMANUAL) is funded by the European Research Council, PI: Vadim Kimmelman. The project studies facial expressions and body and head movements in five different sign languages, using large datasets, Computer Vision and advanced statistical analysis. Read more about the project here: https://www.uib.no/en/nonmanual
About the the Department of Linguistic, Literary and Aesthetic Studies
The Department has approximately 80 tenured faculty , 17 administrative employees, around 40 PhD candidates and seven postdocs. The department covers the subjects of comparative literature, digital culture, classical philology, art history, Nordic literature, language and subject didactics, Old Norse philology, Norwegian as a second language, linguistics and theater studies.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian master’s degree or the equivalent foreign degree in General Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, or a comparable degree. It is a condition of employment that the master’s degree has been awarded at the time of application. Applicants who document a foreign degree will be evaluated according to the regulations of the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT) and The Faculty of Humanities’ PhD Programme plan.
- The candidate should have some experience with research in sign language linguistics as demonstrated in their MA thesis or other documented research projects.
- The applicant must have document experience with quantitative research (e.g. using statistical analysis and/or programming for linguistic research).
- The applicant must be able to work independently in a well-structured way and have good cooperation skills.
- The applicant must be proficient in English.
Applicants must submit a proposal for a research project that will result in a doctoral dissertation. The project should be clearly thematically related to the research goals of NONMANUAL.
Preference will be given to applicants with the following qualifications:
- Experience with Computer Vision.
- Experience with Machine Learning.
- Documented knowledge of a signed language. Deaf signers are especially encouraged to apply.
Applicants will be evaluated according to admission requirements in The Faculty of Humanities' PhD Program pt. 2.1.
In assessing the applications, the academic quality and feasibility of the proposed PhD project and its relevance to NONMANUAL, and the academic qualifications of the candidate will be considered. Further emphasis is also placed on strategic considerations, motivation, and the applicant's personal eligibility.
About the PhD position
The main purpose of the PhD position is to complete a doctoral degree, which qualifies for independent research and for other forms of employment that demand specific competency. The duration of the PhD position is four years, of which 25 per cent of the time comprises obligatory duties associated with teaching, dissemination of results, and administration. The plan for this part of the position is developed in collaboration with the Department at the very beginning of the employment period.
Applicants who have already held a PhD position at the University of Bergen are not eligible to apply for this position.
The employment period may be reduced for candidates who have previously been employed in a recruitment position at other institutions.
The PhD position demands that the applicant has their regular workplace at the University of Bergen and comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
About the research training
As a PhD candidate you must participate in the Faculty of Humanities’ educational programme. The programme consists of completing a training component of 30 ECTS, annual progress reporting and an approved midway evaluation. Click here for additional details on the content and requirements of the PhD program at the Faculty of Humanities.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 54 (code 1017) in the state salary scale, currently NOK 501 200 gross p.a. following ordinary meriting regulations.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise).
- Good welfare benefits
How to apply for the job:
Apply electronically via the link "APPLY FOR THIS JOB". Applicants are required to use the electronic CV form.
The following information must be enclosed:
- A project proposal of up to five pages/12.000 characters, bibliography not included. The project proposal should describe the research project, including research background, main research questions, theory, method, etc.
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of bachelor's and master's degrees. This must contain information about the number of ECTS of the master’s degree or be followed by an official and personalized confirmation with this information issued by the awarding institution.
- A short summary of the master’s thesis or equivalent thesis (up to three pages).
- Relevant certificates/references.
- Bibliography for the proposed project.
- A progress plan for the project.
- A list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list).
- Publications in your name (up to three works).
- The names and contact information for two referees. One of these must be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis.
The application and attachments need to be in Norwegian, another Scandinavian language or English. Documents in other languages need to be uploaded together with a certified translation into English (or a Scandinavian language). Attachments can be in either Word or PDF and must be uploaded to Jobbnorge within the application deadline.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting the Head of Department, Anders Fagerjord, e-mail: email@example.com , telephone: +47 98041073 or PI of the NONMANUAL project, Professor Vadim Kimmelman, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org , telephone: +47 90248771.
The public sector shall reflect the diversity of the Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of applicants. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview.
Questions or inquiries about the electronic application process can be directed to: email@example.com .
For further information about the recruitment process, click here .
Life as a PhD candidate at UiB
Marion Claireaux tells about life and work as a PhD candidate at UiB.
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are four departments and four centres at Faculty of Humanities. Read more about the faculty and departments.
- Research Field
- Language sciences » Other
- Education Level
- PhD or equivalent
- Number of offers available
- University of Bergen
Where to apply
Post Box 7800
- Postal Code
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Computer Vision And Sign Languages (Erc Project Nonmanual), University of Bergen, Norway, about 2 hours ago
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Computer Vision and Sign Languages (ERC project NONMANUAL) Apply for this job See advertisement UiB - Knowledge that shapes society Through robust and close interac...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Computer Vision And Sign Languages (Erc Project Nonmanual) , University of Bergen, Norway, about 24 hours ago
27th September 2023 Languages English English Norsk Nynorsk English Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Computer Vision and Sign Languages (ERC project NONMANUAL) Apply for this job See advertisement ...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow Position In Palaeobotany (Pollen Analysis), University of Bergen, Norway, about 2 hours ago
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position in palaeobotany (pollen analysis) Apply for this job See advertisement UiB - Knowledge that shapes society Through robust and close interaction with the world...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow Position In Palaeobotany (Pollen Analysis) , University of Bergen, Norway, about 24 hours ago
30th September 2023 Languages English English Norsk Nynorsk English Postdoctoral Research Fellow position in palaeobotany (pollen analysis) Apply for this job See advertisement UiB - Knowledge tha...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Citizens, Media And Democracy, University of Bergen, Norway, about 2 hours ago
Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Citizens, media and democracy Apply for this job See advertisement UiB - Knowledge that shapes society Through robust and close interaction with the world around us –...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Citizens, Media And Democracy , University of Bergen, Norway, 1 day ago
1st November 2023 Languages English English Norsk Nynorsk English Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Citizens, media and democracy Apply for this job See advertisement UiB - Knowledge that shapes socie...