PhD Research Fellow in mechatronics
Apply for this job
About the position
A 100 % position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engineering and Science as a PhD Research Fellow in Fellow in Mechatronics, affiliated to Top Research Centre Mechatronics at the Department of Engineering Sciences , for a period of three years. The position is located, at the present, at Campus Grimstad. The starting date is negotiable with the Faculty.
This research fellow will be part of the R&D project AIMWind – Analytics for asset Integrity Management of Wind Farms (WFs). AIMWIND is a collaboration between the University of Agder, NORCE in Norway, and TU Delft in The Netherlands. The main objective of AIMWind is to improve the lifecycle costs of WFs by improving availability during the design life and extending the operational life beyond that period.
This position focuses on the development of enhanced diagnostics and prognostics for windturbine (WT) rotating machinery, integrating of several individual condition monitoring systems to determine subsystem and WT-level health. Earlier work on condition monitoring at UiA on pitch and yaw systems will serve as a starting point.
Expected subtasks includes selecting appropriate sensors, developing physics- and data-driven based methods to monitor the health status of slected WT subsystems, and validating the proposed methods on scaled setups and WT data.
A close cooperation with other researchers working in the AIMWIND consortium and Top Research Centre Mechatronics is highly expected.
- Masters degree within Mechatronics, Mechanical, electrical engineering or renewable energy. This spring’s candidates who are in the closing stages of their master’s degree can also apply.
- English proficiency, both written and oral. International candidates that are not exempt from the English language requirements pursuant to the guidelines of the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT), must document this through one of the following tests with the stated results or better:
- TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language with a minimum score of 600 for the Paperbased Test (PBT), or 92 for the Internet-based Test (iBT)
- IELTS - International English Language Testing System, with the result of 6.5
A prerequisite for employment is that the candidate is to be admitted to UiA’s PhD programme in Engineering and Science, Specialisation in Engineering Sciences, Scientific Field in Mechatronics .
Further provisions relating to the positions as PhD Research Fellows can be found in the Regulations Concerning Terms and Conditions of Employment for the post of Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Research Assistant and Resident .
- Good experience in signal processing, fault diagnosis and prognosis, applied mathematics and machine learning.
- Programming experience in e.g. Python, or MATLAB
- Strong writing skills for research papers.
- Laboratory test and development
The working language at the University of Agder is Norwegian. Knowing Norwegian or another Scandinavian language is an advantage. Excellent English skill, both written and oral, is required to collaborate with other colleagues in the AIMWIND consortium.
- Excellent communication (both written and oral) and teamwork skills
- Proactive, adaptive and open-minded
- The candidate must have the ability to work independently and with a critical attitude.
Personal qualities and suitability for the position will be emphasised.
- professional development in a large, exciting and socially influential organisation
- a positive, inclusive and diverse working environment
- modern facilities and a comprehensive set of welfare offers
- membership of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
More about working at UiA .
The position is remunerated according to the State Salary Scale, salary plan 17.515, code 1017 PhD Research Fellow, NOK 482 200 gross salary per year. A compulsory pension contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the pay according to current statutory provisions.
UiA is an open and inclusive university. We believe that diversity enriches the workplace and makes us better. We, therefore, encourage qualified candidates to apply for the position independent of gender, age, cultural background, disability or an incomplete CV.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
The successful applicant will have rights and obligations in accordance with the current regulations for the position, and organisational changes and changes in the duties and responsibilities of the position must be expected. The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology . Appointment is made by the University of Agder’s Appointments Committee for Teaching and Research Positions.
Short-listed applicants will be invited for interview. With the applicant’s permission, UiA will also conduct a reference check before appointment. Read more about the employment process .
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act § 25 (2), applicants may request that they are not identified in the open list of applicants. The University, however, reserves the right to publish the names of applicants. Applicants will be advised of the University’s intention to exercise this right.
The application and any necessary information about education and experience (including diplomas and certificates) are to be sent electronically. Use the link "Apply for this job".
The following documentation must be uploaded electronically:
- Certificates and certified transcripts for bachelor's-, master's degree. Applicants with foreign higher education must attach an official description of the grading system used at the issuing institution.
- List and links of the applicant's scientific publications, if any.
- A one-page summary of Master’s thesis
- References (referee names and contacts)
- A short tentative research proposal of not more than 2 pages, including reference list, highlighting the background and research for the intended study that meets the research topic.
Please do not submit large documents, like thesis or publications. If any additional information is required, the applicant will be informed later.
The applicant is fully responsible for submitting complete digital documentation before the closing date. All documentation must be available in a Scandinavian language or English.
Application deadline: 01.08.21
For questions about the position:
- Prof. Khang Huynh, tel. +47 37 23 34 21, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof. Kjell Gunnar Robbersmyr, tel. +47 37 23 32 79, mobile +47 994 61 613, e-mail email@example.com
For questions about the application process:
- Higher Executive Officer Lise Askbo Fylkesnes, tel. +47 37 23 31 25, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- HR Advisor Solveig Roland Svendsberget , tel. +47 38 14 24 44/, mobile + 47 99 40 03 49, e-mail email@example.com
University of Agder
The University of Agder has more than 1400 employees and 13 000 students. This makes us one of the largest workplaces in Southern Norway. Our staff research, teach and disseminate knowledge from a variety of academic fields. Co-creation of knowledge is our common vision. We offer a broad range of study programmes in many fields. We are situated at two modern campuses in Kristiansand and Grimstad respectively.
We are an open and inclusive university marked by a culture of cooperation. The aim of the university is to further develop education and research at a high international level.
Apply for this job
1st August 2021
University of Agder
Fulltime (1 jobs) Fulltime (%)
Place of service
See more jobs
- Vacant positions - University of Agder
Find more jobs
Link to startpage
Ph D Research Fellow In Digitalisation Of The Public Sector, University of Agder (UiA), Norway, 25 days ago
The University of Agder, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Information Systems, invites applications for one full-time PhD Research Fellow in Information Systems for a period of three year...
Ph D Research Fellow In Mathematics Education, University of Agder (UiA), Norway, 24 days ago
Two 100 % positions are available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engineering and Science as a PhD Research Fellow in Mathematics Education, affiliated to the Department of Mathematical Sci...
Ph D Research Fellow In Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning Tools For Uav Communications ..., University of Agder (UiA), Norway, 22 days ago
About the position A fixed-term 100% position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engineering and Science as a PhD Research Fellow in ICT, affiliated to the Department of Engineer...
Ph D Research Fellow In Health Economics, University of Agder (UiA), Norway, 24 days ago
About the position A 100 % position is available at the University of Agder, School of Business and Law as a PhD Research Fellow in Health Economics, affiliated to the Department of Economics and ...
Ph D Research Fellow In Ict Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning Tools For Uav..., University of Agder (UiA), Norway, 22 days ago
About the position A fixed-term 100% position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engineering and Science as a PhD Research Fellow in ICT affiliated to the Department of Informati...
Ph D Research Fellow In International Business, University of Agder (UiA), Norway, 24 days ago
About the position Up to five 100% positions are available at the University of Agder, the School of Business and Law, as PhD Research Fellows in International Business for a period of three years...