PhD Research Fellow in mechatronics
Apply for this job
About the position
A 100 % position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engineering and Science as a PhD Research Fellow in Mechatronics, affiliated with the Department of Engineering Sciences , for a period of three years. The position is located, at the present, at Campus Grimstad. The starting date is negotiable with the faculty.
This PhD research fellow position is within the field of multibody dynamics with flexible bodies and their possible applications.
The Agder region is world leading in the development and design of offshore load handling equipments. The University of Agder plays an active role in this. To increase the accuracy of the load handling, more accurate dynamic models of the systems are required. The overall aim of this PhD-position is to develop better models of 3D mechanical systems with slender flexible/soft bodies like crane structures, manipulators, or flexible robots. The actuation system either electrical or hydraulic and the control system also need to be included in the models. The models may be implemented and used for the development of:
- Anti swing or input shaping for hanging loads on cranes
- Heave compensation for marine cranes
- Tool-point control
It may also be relevant to include data-driven modelling to improve the accuracy even further.
The Norwegian Motion Laboratory located at the University of Agder includes various dynamic equipments like loader crane, different robots, Stewart platforms, motion capturing system, hydraulic ring line system etc. so the developed algorithms and models are expected to be experimentally verified.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (mechatronics, mechanical engineering or similar). This year’s candidates/candidates with approved diploma within September 21, can also apply.
- Good knowledge of English, both written and oral. Please check this website for the English proficiency requirements. Please check this website to see if an English test is required
- Background or experience in the following areas:
- Modelling and simulation of 3D mechanical systems, multibody systems/robot manipulators (kinematics, dynamics, control)
- Programming in Matlab or similar platforms
- Experimental work
A prerequisite for employment is that the candidate is to be admitted to UiA’s PhD programme at the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Specialisation in Engineering Sciences, Scientific field in Mechatronics .
Further provisions relating to the positions as PhD Research Fellows can be found in the Regulations Concerning Terms and Conditions of Employment for the post of Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Research Assistant and Resident .
It is desired if the applicant has experience with one or more of the following topics:
- Modelling and simulation of fluid power systems
- Modelling and simulation of electrical actuators and systems
- Control theory – applied and theoretically
- Data acquisition
- Dissemination of technical work through publications/reports and presentations
- Quick learner, motivated and dedicated to research
- Strong analytical, experimental and measurement skills
- Team player, and be able to work independently depending upon the situations
- Good communication and documentation skills
Personal qualities and suitability for the position will be emphasised.
- Professional development in a large, exciting and socially influential organisation
- A positive, inclusive and diverse working environment
- Modern facilities and a comprehensive set of welfare offers
- Membership of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
More about working at UiA .
The position is remunerated according to the State Salary Scale, salary plan 17.515, code 1017 PhD Research Fellow, NOK 482 200 gross salary per year. A compulsory pension contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the pay according to current statutory provisions.
UiA is an open and inclusive university. We believe that diversity enriches the workplace and makes us better. We, therefore, encourage qualified candidates to apply for the position independent of gender, age, cultural background, disability or an incomplete CV.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
The successful applicant will have rights and obligations in accordance with the current regulations for the position, and organisational changes and changes in the duties and responsibilities of the position must be expected. Appointment is made by the University of Agder’s Appointments Committee for Teaching and Research Positions.
Short-listed applicants will be invited for interview. With the applicant’s permission, UiA will also conduct a reference check before appointment. Read more about the employment process .
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act § 25 (2), applicants may request that they are not identified in the open list of applicants. The University, however, reserves the right to publish the names of applicants. Applicants will be advised of the University’s intention to exercise this right.
In the application, please justify why you are qualified for the position. The application and any necessary information about education and experience (including diplomas and certificates) are to be sent electronically. Use the link "Apply for this job".
The following documentation must be uploaded electronically:
- Certificates with grades/BSc and MSc transcripts
- Master’s thesis
- Language skills
- Academic work and R&D projects, as well as a list of these
- Project description with a maximum scope of 5 pages, including reference list. The outline should present and discuss possible research questions, theory perspectives, material, a progress plan, and methods within the given framework
- Any other relevant documentation
The applicant is fully responsible for submitting complete digital documentation before the closing date. All documentation must be available in a Scandinavian language or English.
Application deadline: 01.08.21
For questions about the position:
- Associate Professor Morten Kjeld Ebbesen, tel. +47 37 23 32 07, e-mail email@example.com
- Head of department Paul Svennevig, mobile +47 37 23 32 54, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions about the application process:
- Higher Executive Officer Lise Askbo Fylkesnes, tel. +47 37 23 31 25, e-mail: email@example.com
University of Agder
The University of Agder has more than 1400 employees and 13 000 students. This makes us one of the largest workplaces in Southern Norway. Our staff research, teach and disseminate knowledge from a variety of academic fields. Co-creation of knowledge is our common vision. We offer a broad range of study programmes in many fields. We are situated at two modern campuses in Kristiansand and Grimstad respectively.
We are an open and inclusive university marked by a culture of cooperation. The aim of the university is to further develop education and research at a high international level.
Apply for this job
1st August 2021
University of Agder
Fulltime (1 jobs) Fulltime (%)
Place of service
See more jobs
- Vacant positions - University of Agder
Find more jobs
Link to startpage
Ph D Research Fellows In Artistic Research: Popular Music, University of Agder (UiA), Norway, 19 days ago
The University of Agder, Faculty of Fine Arts, invites applications for up to 3 full-time positions as PhD Research Fellow in artistic research within Popular Music at the Department of Popular Mu...
Ph D Research Fellows In Electronic Music And Music Technology, University of Agder (UiA), Norway, 19 days ago
The University of Agder, Faculty of Fine Arts, invites applications for up to 3 full-time positions as PhD Research Fellow in Electronic Music and Music Technology at the Department of Popular Mus...
Ph D Research Fellows In Music Business And Digitalization Within Popular Music (# Of Pos: 3), University of Agder (UiA), Norway, 19 days ago
The University of Agder, Faculty of Fine Arts, invites applications for up to 3 positions as PhD Research Fellow in Music Business and Digitalization at the Department of Popular Music for a perio...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Environmental History, University of Agder (UiA), Norway, 19 days ago
About the position A fixed-term 100 % position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Humanities and Education as a Post-doctoral Research Fellow in environmental history, affiliated ...
Post Doc On Model Learning In Dynamic Networks (1 Year + 1 Year), Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, about 12 hours ago
Within the EE/Control Systems Group of Eindhoven University of Technology there is an open position for a PostDoc on Model learning in dynamic networks (1 year + 1 year) Are you enthusiastic about...
Postdoc In Efficient, Intelligent And Reliable Fluid Power Technology (2021 224 03825), Aalborg University, Denmark, about 8 hours ago
At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, AAU Energy, a position as Postdoc in efficient, intelligent and reliable fluid power technology is open for appointment from 01.02.2022 – 31.01.2023 or s...