26 May 2023
University of Agder (UiA)
- Research Field
Environmental science » Ecology
Biological sciences » Other
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
31 Jul 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
About the position
A 100 % position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engineering and Scence as a PhD Research Fellow in Coastal Ecology, affiliated to the Department of Natural Sciences , for a period of three years. The position is located, at the present, at Campus Kristiansand. The starting date is negotiable with the Faculty.
The position is integrated into the group of Assoc. Prof. Blanco Gonzalez and the candidate will get involved in a network of national and international collaborators working in aquaculture and marine resource management issues.
Possible research areas include:
- Population genomics of coastal species
- Adaptive mechanisms in marine organisms
- Metabarcoding approaches in coastal and fjord systems
- Sustainable aquaculture and improvement of broodstock management practices.
The PhD candidate is expected to generate new knowledge about the ecology of coastal species in Norway, focusing on developing and applying molecular methods relevant to monitoring marine biodiversity, the status and productivity of marine resources and/or adopting sustainable practices for the aquaculture industry.
The successful candidate will play an active role to disseminate the results to a wide audience and to strengthen the position of the research group. Participation in field surveys campaigns and collaboration with other research groups are also anticipated.
- The successful candidate should hold a MSc degree (at the starting date) in a relevant field such as marine ecology, bioinformatics, evolution, biotechnology, fisheries or aquaculture. Relevant competence in the analysis of molecular data, notably experience working with DNA and/or RNA, is required
- Written and spoken English proficiency. International candidates that are not exempt from the English language requirements pursuant to the guidelines of the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT) must document this through one of the following tests with the stated results or better:
- TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language with a minimum score of 600 for the Paper based Test (PBT), or 92 for the Internet-based Test (iBT)
- IELTS - International English Language Testing System, with the result of 6.5
A prerequisite for employment is that the candidate is to be admitted to UiA’s PhD programme at the Faculty of Engineering and Science.
Further provisions relating to the positions as PhD Research Fellows can be found in the Regulations Concerning Terms and Conditions of Employment for the post of Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Research Assistant and Resident.
- Skills and experience within genomics, transcriptomics or metabarcoding data is desired, but not required.
- Experience with laboratory protocols in molecular biology, relevant field work, ecological modelling, programming, R-coding, and analyses of large datasets will be emphasized.
- Prior experience with experimental design, advisory work and reporting, as well as being familiar with coastal ecology and rearing practices in Norwegian aquaculture are desirable.
The PhD Research Fellow will be expected to take part in a binding cooperation with the research group and contribute to an active research environment that will give opportunities for personal and professional development. The appointee must have the ability to work creatively and independently. Motivation for scientific work, structured work routines, collaborative skills and ability to contribute positively to a collegial environment are also expected. During the assessment process emphasis will be placed on the applicant’s previous work, master thesis, examination results, any other previous relevant research, teaching, and development work, as well as the submitted project proposal.
Personal qualities and suitability for the position will be emphasised.
- professional development in a large, exciting and socially influential organisation
- a positive, inclusive and diverse working environment
- modern facilities and a comprehensive set of welfare offers
- membership of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
More about working at UiA .
The position is remunerated according to the State Salary Scale, salary plan 17.515, code 1017 PhD Research Fellow, NOK 532 200 gross salary per year. A compulsory pension contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the pay according to current statutory provisions.
UiA is an open and inclusive university. We believe that diversity enriches the workplace and makes us better. We, therefore, encourage qualified candidates to apply for the position independent of gender, age, cultural background, disability or an incomplete CV.
The successful applicant will have rights and obligations in accordance with the current regulations for the position, and organisational changes and changes in the duties and responsibilities of the position must be expected. The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning the acts relating to Control of Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology . Appointment is made by the University of Agder’s Appointments Committee for Teaching and Research Positions.
Short-listed applicants will be invited for interview. With the applicant’s permission, UiA will also conduct a reference check before appointment. Read more about the employment process .
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act § 25 (2), applicants may request that they are not identified in the open list of applicants. The University, however, reserves the right to publish the names of applicants. Applicants will be advised of the University’s intention to exercise this right.
The application and any necessary information about education and experience (including diplomas and certificates) are to be sent electronically. Use the link "Apply for this job".
The following documentation must be uploaded electronically:
- Application letter (max. 1 page): describe why you apply for the position and how your experiences and skills fit the description of the position
- A short project description (1-3 pages) that present your ideas for the project, including the relevance of the research, theory perspectives, possible data, a progress plan, methods and references. It is highly recommended to contact the project supervisor, Assoc. Prof. Enrique Blanco Gonzalez to discuss the development of the project proposal well in advance of the application deadline
- CV (max. 3 pages): include information on education, work experience, scientific and R&D work, publication list, and names of two references, one of which should be your MSc supervisor or another academic advisor that knows you well
- Summary of your MSc thesis (max. 2 pages)
- Diplomas, transcripts and up to three (3) letters of reference
- Full MSc thesis
- Up to five (5) scholarly and other relevant publications which the applicant wishes to include for assessment
- Other important documentation like results from language tests (e.g. TOEFL)
The applicant is fully responsible for submitting complete digital documentation before the closing date. All documentation must be available in a Scandinavian language or English.
Application deadline: 31.07.23
For questions about the position:
- Associate Professor Enrique Blanco Gonzalez, tel. +47 45 59 65 31, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions about the application process:
- HR Advisor Linda H. Kristiansen, tel. +47 48 14 06 09, e-mail email@example.com
University of Agder
The University of Agder has more than 1500 employees and almost 14 000 students. This makes us one of the largest workplaces in Southern Norway. Our staff research, teach and disseminate knowledge from a variety of academic fields. Co-creation of knowledge is our common vision. We offer a broad range of study programmes in many fields. We are situated at two modern campuses in Kristiansand and Grimstad respectively.
We are an open and inclusive university marked by a culture of cooperation. The aim of the university is to further develop education and research at a high international level.
- Research Field
- Environmental science
- Years of Research Experience
- 1 - 4
- Research Field
- Biological sciences
- Years of Research Experience
- 1 - 4
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- University of Agder (UiA)
- Postal Code
- Universitetsveien 25
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Ph D Research Fellow In Public Administration At The Faculty Of Social Science , University of Agder, Norway, about 11 hours ago
30th December 2023 Languages English Norsk Bokmål English English PhD Research Fellow in Public Administration at the Faculty of Social Science Apply for this job See advertisement About the posit...
Ph D Research Fellow In Political Science , University of Agder, Norway, about 10 hours ago
30th December 2023 Languages English Norsk Bokmål English English PhD Research Fellow in Political Science Apply for this job See advertisement About the position A 100% position is available at t...
2 Ph D Research Fellows In “Offshore Wind And Regional Futures: Challenges And Opportunities” , University of Agder, Norway, about 10 hours ago
16th October 2023 Languages English Norsk Bokmål English English 2 PhD Research Fellows in “Offshore wind and regional futures: challenges and opportunities” Apply for this job See advertisement A...
Ph D Research Fellow In Artistic Research: Songwriting , University of Agder, Norway, about 11 hours ago
30th October 2023 Languages English Norsk Bokmål English English PhD Research Fellow in Artistic Research: songwriting Apply for this job See advertisement About the position At the University of ...
Ph D Research Fellow In Popular Music Performance , University of Agder, Norway, about 11 hours ago
30th October 2023 Languages English English English PhD Research Fellow in Popular Music Performance Apply for this job See advertisement About the position CreaTeME invites applications for 1-2 p...
Postdoctoral Position In Seaweed Ecology , Institute of Marine Research, Norway, about 9 hours ago
6th October 2023 Languages English English English Postdoctoral position in seaweed ecology Apply for this job See advertisement About the position The Institute of Marine Research (IMR) offers a ...