About the position
The University of Stavanger is seeking an Associate Professor in Mathematics Education.
The subject area for the position is mathematics education.
As an Associate Professor, you will primarily teach and supervise students at bachelor's, Master’s and PhD level within the subject area, conduct research and disseminate research results within relevant research areas at the department, and contribute to the development of partnerships with businesses.
The development/use of digital and diverse learning methods, innovation, value creation based on results from research, and academic development work, will be included in the position.
The general job description gives a more detailed account of the subject area and relevant duties for associate professors.
The position is organisationally affiliated to the Faculty of Education Science and humanities, Department of Teacher Education and Sports Science. Members of the mathematics group have been working for several years with research and development within the field of mathematics education. Researchers in the group have been exploring various aspects of mathematical knowledge for teaching together with internationally renowned research groups. Some members of the mathematics group have also directed projects based on Leonid Zankov’s theories of developmental learning in mathematics. Through participation in research projects and international cooperation, the group of mathematicians at the department has become leading in the use of Lesson Study in teacher education on a national level. Through the years, the mathematics group has conducted research, development and foreign aid projects in Malawi with an emphasis on mathematical knowledge for teaching. Lately, the group has also been focusing on how to develop mathematics teaching practice.
We are seeking an associate professor with a PhD or equivalent qualification in mathematics education.
You must be able to document pedagogical and didactic skills relating to higher education, and basic skills in planning, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision. If you do not meet the competence requirement you must complete a university pedagogy course within a period of two years of the appointment start date. The course will be provided by the university.
The working and teaching languages are Norwegian and English. We expect you to be fluent in oral Norwegian from your first day at work.
The following attributes are also desirable
- ability to inspire colleagues with regard to research, artistic and educational development
- ability to initiate, obtain external funding for, lead and carry out major research and development projects
- research results published in recognised Norwegian and international publications, and references indicating progression in research and publications
- a reflective and conscientious attitude towards your own teaching and supervision
- ability to involve and engage students in teaching where the course's objectives, content and assessment situations are closely interlinked
- experience and/or interest in the development of varied learning methods and digital tools in teaching
- experience of partnerships with businesses
- experience with relevant international research networks and the ability to build and nurture networks -regionally, nationally and internationally
- experience with innovation and the commercialisation of research
- ability to manage a heavy workload, inquisitiveness, and motivation to develop new knowledge in collaboration with others
- good teamwork and communication skills, and ability to contribute to a constructive working environment
- varied duties in a large, exciting and socially important organisation
- an ambitious work community which is developing rapidly. We strive to include employees at all levels in strategic decisions and promote an informal atmosphere with a flat organisational structure.
- colleague-based guidance programme during your first year of teaching at UiS, NyTi.
- salary in accordance with the State Salary Scale, l.pl 17.510, code 1011, NOK 580.000 - 680.000 gross per year. A higher salary may be considered in special cases.
- automatic membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund , which provides favourable insurance- and retirement benefits.
- favourable membership terms at a gym and at the company sports club
- employment with an Inclusive Workplace organisation which is committed to reducing sick leave, increasing the proportion of employees with reduced working capacity, and increasing the number of professionally active seniors
- Home-job-home , discounted public transport to and from work
- as an employee in Norway, you will have access to an optimal health service, as well as good pensions, generous maternity/paternity leave, and a competitive salary. Nursery places are guaranteed and reasonably priced
- relocation programme in event of moving to Norway, including support and language courses for spouses
Your application will be assessed by an expert committee. In the expert assessment, emphasis will be placed on submitted scientific works/documented artistic activity and documented teaching competence. The committe will also assess your experience with popularisation/dissemination activities, university politics and administration, and any other documented qualifications relevant to the position.
If you do not satisfy key parts of the qualification requirements, you may have your application rejected before applications are submitted to the expert committee for assessment.
Based on the expert committee's statement, relevant applicants will be invited to an interview and a teaching demonstration before any recommendations are made.
In the absence of applicants with sufficient scientific expertise, the university may consider temporarily designating an appointee for up to three years, during which time he/she will endeavour to gain the qualifications necessary for a permanent position. The applicant must be capable of gaining the necessary qualifications during the period of employment.
The university aims to recruit more women into professor positions; thus, if several applicants are considered to have equal qualifications, a woman will be given priority over a man.
It is a prerequisite that the appointee has a residence which enables him or her to be present at/available to the academic community during ordinary working hours.
The position has been announced in both Norwegian and English. In the case of differences of opinion between the texts, the Norwegian text shall be decisive.
More information on the position can be obtained from Head of Department Lars Rune Waage, tel: 51833474, e-mail: email@example.com or Professor Raymond Bjuland, tel: 51833494, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about the appointment procedure can be obtained from HR-advisor Grete Marnburg, tel: 51833545, e-mail: email@example.com .
Apply for the position online via the “Apply for the position” link on this page. Here you can submit your application and CV with relevant education and experience.
The following documents must be uploaded as attachments to your application in separate files:
- relevant certificates and references.
- complete list of scientific work and artistic activity.
- up to 10 works which document your teaching and educational competence; see Guidelines for the Assessment of Teaching Skills .
- up to 10 scientific works which are pivotal to your research output, including your PhD thesis
- documentation of other relevant activities concerning the position requirements
The documentation must be available in either a Scandinavian language or in English. If the total size of the attachments exceeds 30 MB, they must be compressed before upload. Information and documentation to be taken into account in the assessment must be submitted within the application dealine. Contact details for three references must be provided in the application or upon request.
Please note that information on applicants may be published even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the official list of applicants - see Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act .
UiS only considers applications and attachments registered in JobbNorge.
UiS - challenge the well-known and explore the unknown
The University of Stavanger (UiS) has about 12,000 students and 1,700 employees. We are the only Norwegian member of the European Consortium of Innovative Universities. The university has high ambitions. We will have an innovative and international profile, and will be a driving force in knowledge development and in the process of societal change. Together with our staff and students, we will challenge the well-known and explore the unknown.
Department of Education and Sports Science, which is part of the Faculty of Arts and Ecucation, offers primary teacher training and postgraduate education in Education Science. Education Science is an academic focus at the university, and we are prepared to take a larger national responsibility for educating the labor needed in the nation and in the region, within the academic field. There are currently 75 employees and 840 students at the department.
Associate Professor In Quantitative Managerial Economics, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 8 days ago
About the position The Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management (IØT) invites applications for a permanent position as Associate Professor in Quantitative Managerial Economics....
Associate Professor In Entrepreneurship, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
About the position The Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management (IØT) invites applications for up to 2 permanent positions as Associate Professor in Entrepreneurship. Informati...
Professor/Associate Professor In Food Chemistry, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
About the position The Department of Biotechnology and Food Science at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology announces an open position as Professor/Associate Professor within the fie...
Associate Professor In Mathematics, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
This is NTNU At NTNU, creating knowledge for a better world is the vision that unites our 7 000 employees and 40 000 students. We are looking for dedicated employees to join us. About the position...
Professor/Associate Professor Within Cyber And Information Security In Power Systems, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
About the position In collaboration with Statnett (the Transmission Systems Operator of Norway) the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical engineering at NTNU announced a newly establish...
Associate Professor In Marine Biology, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 8 days ago
About the position Department of Biological Sciences Ålesund have a vacancy for a 100% permanent teaching and research position for an associate professor in marine biology. The position reports t...