About the position
The University of Stavanger invites applicants for position as Associate Professor of Law.
The subject area for the position is welfare law with special emphasis on child welfare law.
As Associate Professor, you will mainly teach and guide students at the bachelor, master and possibly doctoral level within the welfare law theme, research and disseminate research results within relevant research areas at the department. It is also expected that you contribute to the development of cooperation with the working life and field of practice.
The development/use of digital and diverse learning methods, innovation, value creation based on results from research, and academic/artistic development work, will be included in the position.
The general job description for teaching and research staff gives a more detailed account of relevant duties
If applicants do not meet the requirements for employment as Associate Professor, it will be considered to make employment in a teaching position as Assistant Professor.
The position is organizationally affiliated with the Department of Social Studies. The institute has a broadly composed professional environment. The profession education for child welfare educators and social workers are a large part of the department's activities. Professional education is an integrated / holistic education with contributions from various disciplines, and the master programs are based on this multidisciplinary. This mean that the person who will be employed shall take care of subject and subject responsibility, academic administrative work and teaching tasks in collaboration with other professionals.
The person who will be employed should be able to teach within the legal courses in both a three-year Bachelor's degree program for child welfare educators and a three-year Bachelor's degree program for social work (social worker), as well as in various integrated master's courses, PhD and on other educations.
The tasks will be teaching, supervision, professional development, research and examination work related to the subject area.
For employment as Associate Professor, you must have a PhD or equivalent competence in legal subjects.
For employment as Assistant Professor, you must have a master's degree in law and a minimum of two years relevant practice.
Furthermore, you should have special knowledge within welfare law and Norwegian administrative law, and desirable to have experience from labor law and foreign law. Applicants with specialization in child welfare law are preferred, but applicants with specialization within the welfare law otherwise or nearby areas may also be relevant candidates.
Teaching experience is emphasized. You must be able to document pedagogical and didactic skills relating to higher education, or complete a university pedagogy course within a period of two years of the appointment start date. The course will be provided by the university.
The working and teaching languages are Norwegian and English. You have to master Norwegian or another Scandinavian language very well on accession, and then be able to teach, guide, evaluate, etc. on all three levels (bachelor, master and first degree PhD). The person employed must also be able to provide teaching and guidance in English.
The following attributes are also desirable
- ability to inspire colleagues with regard to research, artistic and educational development
- ability to initiate, obtain external funding for, lead and carry out major research and development projects
- research results published in recognised Norwegian and international publications, and references indicating progression in research and publications
- a reflective and conscientious attitude towards your own teaching and supervision
- ability to involve and engage students in teaching where the course's objectives, content and assessment situations are closely interlinked
- experience and/or interest in the development of varied learning methods and digital tools in teaching
- experience of partnerships with businesses
- experience with relevant international research networks and the ability to build and nurture networks -regionally, nationally and internationally
- experience with innovation and the commercialisation of research
- ability to manage a heavy workload, inquisitiveness, flexible and motivation to develop new knowledge in collaboration with others
- the will and ability to work interdisciplinary.
- good teamwork and communication skills, and ability to contribute to a constructive working environment
- varied duties in a large, exciting and socially important organization
- an ambitious work community which is developing rapidly. We strive to include employees at all levels in strategic decisions and promote an informal atmosphere with a flat organizational structure.
- colleague-based guidance programme during your first year of teaching at UiS, NyTi.
- salary in accordance with the State Salary Scale, l.pl 17.510, Associate Professor, code 1011, NOK 640.200 - 813.400 gross per year or Assistant Professor, code 1009, NOK 555.100 - 640.200 gross per year. A higher salary may be considered in special cases
- automatic membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund , which provides favourable insurance- and retirement benefits.
- favourable membership terms at a gym and at the company sports club
- employment with an Inclusive Workplace organization which is committed to reducing sick leave, increasing the proportion of employees with reduced working capacity, and increasing the number of professionally active seniors
- Hjem-jobb-hjem , discounted public transport to and from work
- as an employee in Norway, you will have access to an optimal health service, as well as good pensions, generous maternity/paternity leave, and a competitive salary. Nursery places are guaranteed and reasonably priced
- relocation programme in event of moving to Norway, including support and language courses for spouses
Your application will be assessed by an expert committee. In the expert assessment, emphasis will be placed on submitted scientific works/documented artistic activity and documented teaching competence. The committe will also assess your experience with popularisation/dissemination activities, university politics and administration, and any other documented qualifications relevant to the position.
If you do not satisfy key parts of the qualification requirements, you may have your application rejected before applications are submitted to the expert committee for assessment.
Based on the expert committee's statement, relevant applicants will be invited to an interview and a teaching demonstration before any recommendations are made.
It is a prerequisite that the appointee has a residence which enables him or her to be present at/available to the academic community during ordinary working hours.
The position has been announced in both Norwegian and English. In the case of differences of opinion between the texts, the Norwegian text shall be decisive.
More information on the position can be obtained from Head of Department Einar Engebretsen, tel: +47 51 834241, e-mail: email@example.com
Information about the appointment procedure can be obtained from HR-adviser Kirsten Sikveland, tel: +47 51833701, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Apply for the position online via the “Apply for the position” link on this page. Here you can submit your application and CV with relevant education and experience.
The following documents must be uploaded as attachments to your application in separate files:
- relevant certificates and references.
- complete list of scientific work and artistic activity.
- up to 10 works which document your teaching and educational competence; see Guidelines for the Assessment of Teaching Skills .
- up to 10 scientific works which are pivotal to your research output, including your PhD thesis
- documentation of other relevant activities concerning the position requirements
The documentation must be available in either a Scandinavian language or in English. If the total size of the attachments exceeds 30 MB, they must be compressed before upload. Information and documentation to be taken into account in the assessment must be submitted within the application dealine. Contact details for three references must be provided in the application or upon request.
Please note that information on applicants may be published even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the official list of applicants - see Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act .
UiS only considers applications and attachments registered in JobbNorge.
UiS - challenge the well-known and explore the unknown
The University of Stavanger (UiS) has about 12,000 students and 1,700 employees. It is located in the third largest urban region in Norway, with a dynamic labor market and exciting cultural and leisure activities. We are the only Norwegian member of the European Consortium of Innovative Universities. The university has high ambitions. We will be a driving force in the development of knowledge in the region, and an international research university with an emphasis on innovation. Together with our staff and students, we will challenge the well-known and explore the unknown.
The Department of Social Studies, as part of the Faculty of Social Sciences, offers bachelor programs within Child Welfare and Social Work, as well as three Master's programmes: a two-year Master's programme in Social Work and Social Pedagogy, and two international master's programmes: Nordic master in Social Work and Welfare og Social Work with Families and Children.
The Department aims to contribute to high-quality social science development, both in welfare management and in social work with vulnerable children, young people and their families.There are currently 63 employees and 830 students at the department.
Senior Engineer, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
About the position A position as Senior Engineer is available for 3 years at the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD). The position is funded by a grant from the Research Council of Norway. CBD ...
Associate Professor In Environmental Management And Strategic Enviromental Assessment , Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
About the position The Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management (IØT) invites applications for a permanent position as Associate Professor in Environmental Management and Strat...
Associate Professor In Digital Economics, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 15 hours ago
About the position At the Department of Information Security and Communication Technology, there is a vacancy for an Associate Professor in Digital Economics. A prospective candidate is expected t...
Researcher In Facial Appearance Modelling, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 14 hours ago
About the position The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (http://www.ntnu.edu/ie ) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) has a vacancy for a 100 %...
Head Of Laboratory, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
About the position NTNU is the foremost technical university in Norway and located in Trondheim. NTNU Nanolab is a 700 m2 cleanroom facility opened in 2009. It is a major part of NTNU´s strategic ...
Tenure Track Associate Professorship In Medicine, Human Cognitive Neuroscience, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 15 hours ago
About the position To be at the forefront of research and education in human cognitive neuroscience, the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at the Norwegian University of Science and Technolo...