Portfolio Leader - Trees to High-Value Wood Products
Based in Rotorua
We seek expressions of interest for a Portfolio Leader to lead and build on the foundations already in place for the portfolio: "Trees to High-Value Wood Products". This portfolio aims at unlocking the values of wood products from diverse exotic forests to deliver low-carbon built environments. The position is an excellent opportunity for a leader excited to elevate to the next level.
This position provides strategic and tactical scientific leadership, planning, direction insight, and quality delivery for a portfolio of scientific projects.
Scion specialises in research, science and technology development for the forestry industry, wood products and wood-derived materials. We lead new technology development for renewables, bioproducts, and energy and the establishment of a broader-based bioeconomy. We are a Crown Research Institute dedicated to forestry and is home to more than 300 science and support staff on its two main campuses in Rotorua and Christchurch. Scion also values a culture of ensuring employees pursue innovation and excellence in science delivery.
About the role:
Working with the General Manager of the Impact Area "Forests to Timber Products", your role entails providing strategic and tactical direction to a wide array of projects. These projects encompass numerous research topics, ranging from genetics, seedlings and forests to products and their influence on the community, environment, and economy. In this role, you identify ways to increase social, economic, and environmental advantages throughout the integrated forest-wood-community value system. The primary objective is to assist in developing a forest-based bioeconomy and sustainably sourced high-value-added wood products, thus advocating for a sustainable future for upcoming generations.
The project portfolio includes next-generation productive forests composed of mixed species. These forests can adapt to climate change, resist pests and diseases, and prevent wilding. This portfolio supports the growth of non-pine exotic tree species by enhancing knowledge, techniques, models, and guides for deploying selected species to diversify the forestry sector, thereby boosting resilience, sustainability, and wood supply. It also addresses regenerative forest management and harvesting principles.
The portfolio also seeks to encourage the use of wood in building environments by supporting the processing and manufacturing industry, including enhancement of product performance and targeted wood modification, aiming to convert buildings into carbon-negative structures. It works towards eliminating obstacles, broadening knowledge and confidence among stakeholders in the built environment sector, and reducing the carbon footprint of the construction sector to promote urban environment circularity. It extends to timber design and construction performance, aiming to transform buildings into carbon-negative structures.
Success in this role requires a passion for guiding diverse RD&E teams within the forestry-wood industry value chain. You lead and implement a substantial work program within the high-value timber value chain. Your role necessitates active collaboration and support for industry, government agencies, and universities. You are in charge of strategic implementation, generating ideas, coordinating proposals, and locally and internationally networking.
This position is an opportunity to contribute to Scion's impact strategies. You can make a significant difference in Scion's operations by working alongside a team of highly skilled Portfolio Leaders within a matrix environment. This teamwork provides a rich learning experience and the chance to make a substantial impact.
The ideal candidate for this role should possess:
- A passion for leading diverse RD&E teams within the forestry-wood industry value chain is crucial to succeed in this role. You will lead and execute a significant work program within the high-value timber value chain.
- A PhD or substantial experience in the field of forestry, timber and/or wood-based products or systems.
- A broad background in managing scientific research/innovation and leading multi-disciplinary teams to surpass client expectations.
- A wide-ranging experience as a scientist, with significant publications and/or technology delivery.
- Recognition as an expert and leader in their field, with a robust international network and reputation in relevant scientific areas.
- A history of success in grant writing and fundraising, including understanding the funding system, commercial entities, and the political landscape.
- A proven ability to build relationships with end-users and provide strategic leadership.
- Evidence of relevant training and membership in professional organisations to prove knowledge and leadership in the field.
- A strong commitment to achieving results, continuous improvement, and change management.
- Knowledge of business and management principles related to strategic planning, resource allocation, workforce modelling in conjunction with the Research Group Leaders, leadership techniques, production methods, and coordinating people and resources.
We are home to creative science minds and have a vibrant culture, ensuring employees can pursue innovation and excellence in their science delivery right at the heart of New Zealand's forest industry. Scion offers an enviable working environment with excellent work/life balance initiatives, and we are proud to offer:
- A great career that enables positive outcomes for Aotearoa, New Zealand.
- Flexible work options including a 9-day fortnight.
- Continuous professional development.
- An enviable work environment with an enjoyable collaborative culture.
- A demonstrated commitment to Good Employer/EEO principles.
- A great work location on the edge of Rotorua's world famous Whakarewarewa Forest
- See more benefits of working at Scion
Full-time role 40 hours per week
Rate of Pay $100,000.00 -$140,000.00 p,a
Closing Date: 24/11/2023
If you are interested in applying for this position, please ensure you submit your application as soon as possible. Interviews may be undertaken throughout the application period.
Postdoctor In Fibreboard Recycling, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 22 hours ago
The Department of Forest Biomaterials and Technology (SBT) is part of the Faculty of Forest Science, has about 50 employees and is based in both Umeå and Uppsala. The department conducts high-qual...
Postdoctor In Fibreboard Recycling, Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Sweden, 16 days ago
14 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet Research Field Chemistry » Biochemistry Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Sweden Application Dead...
Research Technician In The Field Of Ecology Of Woody Plants And Invertebrate Predators, Mendel University in Brno, Czech, 16 days ago
14 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Mendel University in Brno Research Field Agricultural sciences » Forest sciences Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Czech Repub...
Research Technician/ Student, ”Stefan cel Mare” University of Suceava, Romania, 28 days ago
2 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company ”Stefan cel Mare” University of Suceava Department Forestry and Environmental Protection Research Field Agricultural sciences » Forest sciences Rese...
Scientist In “Computational Geo Ecology” 80–100% (W/M/D), Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research WSL, Switzerland, 1 day ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research WSL Research Field Environmental science » Earth science Environmental science » Ec...
Population Genetic Analytic Technician, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 8 days ago
The Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology was founded in the late 1970s - when the College of Forestry moved to Umeå. The number of employees has since grown steadily is now around 10...