Lecturer/Senior Lecturer - Bachelor of Sport Te Ao Hākinakina Major - up to two positions available
Faculty of Health | Te Kaupeka Oranga
University of Canterbury | Te Whare Wananga of Waitaha
Located in Christchurch, New Zealand | Aotearoa
- Full-time 37.5 hours per week (1.0 FTE each)
- Continuing (i.e. permanent) position/s
- Generous annual leave provisions and professional development opportunities
Kia hiwa rā, kia hiwa rā!
He hiahia, he pūkenga nōu ki te mahi a te Pūkenga / Pūkenga Matua / Ahorangi Tuarua? Nāia te pōwhiri nā Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha kia tono mai i te tūranga nei.
Āu Mahi | What You Will Do
Our Sports Team within Te Kaupeka Oranga | the Faculty of Health are looking for a new colleague(s) to join us within our exciting new Bachelor in Sport degree programme and established Masters of Sport Science programme. Applications are invited for up to two full time, permanent positions at Lecturer | Pūkenga or Senior Lecturer | Pūkenga Matua specialising in Te Ao Hākinakina , with the ability to teach into nutrition, physical activity promotion, clinical exercise physiology, marketing and management or sports coaching an advantage. This is an exciting opportunity for up to two new or seasoned scholars to make a significant contribution to research and teaching within the newly established Faculty of Health where the Sport Team are a key academic group. The successful applicant will provide major contributions to teaching and the delivery of academic courses and programmes, engage in the full range of research activities, including postgraduate supervision, and undertake academic leadership and service duties within the sport programmes, Faculty and University.
Mōu| Who You Are
The successful candidate will be either an emerging researcher/teacher (Lecturer | Pūkenga), or a more experienced researcher/teacher (Senior Lecturer | Pūkenga Matua). You will have experience in the sport sector and demonstrate a good understanding of sport in an Aotearoa-New Zealand context. You will also be able to connect this with a strong understanding of te ao Māori and how, and where, sport and te ao Māori intersect. The successful candidate will drive research in a sport-related area of their choice, as well as developing and extending partnerships/collaboration with Faculties across UC, with Māori communities and with other external stakeholders.
Applicants will need to demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Hold a masters or doctoral degree in sport or other relevant discipline
- Relevant and effective teaching experience in their specialist area(s), including undergraduate and postgraduate. Ability to both develop and lead undergraduate and post graduate courses in Te Ao Hākinakina and contribute to teaching of other courses/majors in the Bachelor of Sport.
- Competency and confidence in bicultural practice, including a commitment to upholding the values, tikanga, kawa and traditions as guided by Ngāi Tūāhuriri, the mana whenua. Ability in te reo Māori me āna tikanga would be an advantage.
- Established relationships in Te Ao Māori and Māori Communities (i.e Māori sporting organisations, Kura Kaupapa Māori, or marae). These relationships are valued and will be vital to the future of the Te Ao Hākinakina major. The successful applicant(s) will be supported in nurturing these important relationships while also building new relationships in Māori communities.
- At the senior lecturer level should have a record of successful supervision of research students.
- An appropriate research publication history, and plans for future research, grant funding and publication in an area of sport relevant to the Sport Team and consistent with appointment at Lecturer/Senior Lecturer rank.
The successful applicant will have opportunities for international conference travel to support their research and teaching activities and will have the opportunity to network with international leaders their field through the University's unique Erskine and Canterbury Fellowship Schemes (which enables the University to host world leading academics) and through the University's academic staff exchange programmes with Oxford and Cambridge Universities in the UK.
Mahi Ngātahi | Who You Will Work With
Te Kaupeka Oranga | Faculty of Health offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and research activities that respond to the dynamic nature of the health and sport sectors and their workforce. We offer undergraduate programmes in Sport and Health Sciences as well as postgraduate programmes in Counselling, and Child and Family Psychology, Nursing, Health Leadership as well as various population health and clinical endorsements within the Postgraduate Diploma and Master of Health Sciences. For more information on our Faculty please visit us at Te Kaupeka Oranga | Faculty of Health
The Faculty offers exciting research and teaching opportunities through its new home, the Rehua building, located in the heart of UC's Ilam Campus with modern digital technologies and innovative learning and social spaces. UC is also a partner in Manawa, the health research and education facility in Christchurch's Te Papa Hauora/Health Precinct ; bringing together health researchers and doctoral students to collaborate and innovate alongside Canterbury District Health Board (CDHB) clinical and research staff.
For information on our team and qualifications, click on the links to, the Faculty of Health and the Bachelor of Sport , Bachelor of Sport Coaching , Post-Graduate and Masters in Sport Science , and Postgraduate qualifications in Health Sciences .
Ngā Painga o UC | Why UC
In 2023 UC is celebrating 150 years of accessible education. The past, the present and the future are intertwined. For more information on our 150th Anniversary visit us here.
Ngā Uara | Our Values of manaakitanga, whanaungatanga and tiakitanga guide our decisions and behaviour and provide a roadmap for how we do things at UC, affirming our commitment to pastoral care and support for our ākonga and staff. They challenge and inspire us to be the best we can, and make UC a great place to work and study. For more info on Ngā Uara | Our Values visit us here .
We are committed to accessible higher education, service to the community and the encouragement of talent without barriers of distance, wealth, class, gender or ethnicity. The University explicitly aims to produce graduates and support staff who are engaged with their communities, empowered to act for good and determined to make a difference in the world.
We offer a range of fantastic benefits including flexible work practices, study opportunities and generous superannuation and leave provisions. For more information, please visit us: https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/joinus/benefits/
What we offer
The University is committed to providing an excellent working environment through:
- Relocation support
- A unique bequest funded endowment (Erskine fund) that supports an extensive visiting Fellowship programme
- Widely accessible sabbatical provision
- University and Faculty scholarship support for graduate students
- Generous annual leave provisions
- Flexible working arrangements
- Supportive working environment
- Professional development and study opportunities
- Living in revitalised Ōtautahi | Christchurch, Aotearoa New Zealand
- A unique working environment in a beautiful campus with access to UC facilities such as the recreation centre and Staff club at discounted rates plus onsite cafés and eateries, and more.
The salary range for this position is: Lecturer | Pūkenga ($89,645 to $108,144) or Senior Lecturer | Pūkenga Matua ($113,826 to $129,098).
The closing date for this position is: 5 November 2023 (Midnight NZ time)
Pēhea te tono mai | How You Apply
Applications for this position must be submitted on our careers website and should include the following:
- a cover letter which includes a 2-3 page statement outlining your research interests and goals and teaching philosophy (combined)
- a Resume which includes a list of relevant research publications (combined).
We do not accept applications by email, however, we are happy to answer any queries at WorkatUC@canterbury.ac.nz
For further information specifically about the role, please contact: email@example.com
For overseas applicants, please visit Immigration New Zealand website to review the latest visa requirements for visiting and working in New Zealand.
|Posted on||22 Sep 2023|
|Closes on||05 Nov 2023 23:55|
|Expertise||Education & Training, Health, Sports, Te Ao Māori|
|Work type(s)||Continuing (Permanent) full-time|
|More details (document)|
|Position description 1||Lecturer 2023.pdf|
|Position description 2||Senior Lecturer.pdf|
|Position description 3|
|Position description 4|
Māori Research Services Librarian, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, 12 days ago
Research Services Team | Te Mātāpuna - Library and Learning Services, AUT Kia Hiwa rā, Kia Hiwa rā Nei rā te karanga o Te Mātāpuna o Te Wānanga Aronui o Tāmaki Makaurau ki te tangata e mātau ana k...
Kaiwhakaako (Lecturer/Senior Lecturer) Nursing, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, 2 days ago
Flexible working arrangements up to (1.0FTE), permanent position Heuea ngā rangi tuatinitini Heuea ngā rangi pōkaikaha Kai maiangi ake te hautapu Tua tonu, mau tonu ākina Te āhuatunga a te tūrunga...
Pūkenga | Lecturer In Nursing, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, about 2 hours ago
« Back to Jobs Pūkenga | Lecturer in Nursing Location: Newtown Type: Permanent Post Date: Tue Dec 5 01:51:36 2023 Ref: 514 Are you a Registered Nurse with a current annual practicing certificate?...
Pūkenga | Lecturer In Science And Mathematics Education, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, about 2 hours ago
« Back to Jobs Pūkenga | Lecturer in Science and Mathematics Education Location: Kelburn Type: Permanent Post Date: Fri Dec 1 03:11:04 2023 Ref: 627 Are you a registered teacher or eligible to re...
Lecturer In Political Science, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, 4 days ago
« Back to Jobs Lecturer in Political Science Location: Kelburn Type: Contract Post Date: Thu Nov 9 04:04:40 2023 Ref: 508 Have you got a strong understanding of political science and an interest ...
Lecturer In Maori Literature And Creative Communication, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, about 2 hours ago
« Back to Jobs Lecturer in Maori Literature and Creative Communication Location: Kelburn Type: Permanent Post Date: Wed Dec 6 01:45:18 2023 Ref: 471 Have you got demonstrable expertise in Māori w...