SCIENTIST: INSECT ECOLOGIST
- Lead innovative research and development
- Maximise your national and internal impact
- Senior permanent position within our Entomology team
Scion specialises in research, science and technology development for the forestry industry, wood products and wood-derived materials. We lead new technology development for renewables, bioproducts and energy and the establishment of a broader based bio-economy.
Are you an experienced Insect Ecologist who wants to lead a projects in championing science excellence and innovation? Are you a professional thought leader, keen to uncover solutions for the better management of insect pests of trees and to research tree/insect/pathogen interactions? Does scientific research that really makes a difference to New Zealand's Forestry Industry, native forests and the environment ignite your passion?
About the position:
The position will lead innovative research and development into the sustainability, resilience and productivity of New Zealand Forests in response to insect pests and pathogens. Collaborating within and across multi-disciplinary teams, the focus will be on design of new entomology technologies and approaches; confronting challenges and developing high quality science-based solutions. The position will include strong programme and project enablement capabilities, coaching and networking.
To be successful in this role you will have a passion for science that achieves impacts for the forestry sector and that benefits the New Zealand environment and have:
- PhD qualified with at least 10 years of research experience in Forest Entomology, Forest Pathology and/or Forest Ecology. Scopus h - index of 8+
- Demonstrated research outcomes within the field of insect ecology and application of relevant technologies and approaches, within forested ecosystems.
- Knowledge and understanding of ecological principles relevant to forest health and resilience
- Knowledge of plant/insect/pathogen (or disease) interactions, with experience in one or more of the following: insects as vectors of nematodes or pathogens, fungal biological control of insects, bark and ambrosia beetles and their associated fungi
- Experience in morphological identification of insects is extremely desirable
- Developing indigenous partnerships to co-design programmes of work and/or proven history of working in partnership with communities also desirable
Scion is home to creative science minds and has a vibrant culture ensuring employees can pursue innovation and excellence in their science delivery. Scion is proud to offer:
- Opportunities for a fulfilling career that enables outcomes for New Zealand, Aotearoa;
- Continuous professional development;
- Enviable work environment; and
- A demonstrated commitment to Good Employer/ EEO principles.
Closing Date: 5 November 2021
If you are interested in this role, we encourage you to apply without delay, as due to the urgency to fill this role, we may begin interviews during the advertising period.
For further information and to apply online, please refer to our website: www.scionresearch.com .
Applied Forest Ecologist; New Paltz, Ny, Mohonk Preserve, United States, 13 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyMohonk PreserveLocationMohonk Preserve, New Paltz, NYJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalaryUpper $50's per ye...
Forest Health Invasive Species Strike Team Specialist, Avon/Rochester Ny, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, United States, 12 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyNew York State Department of Environmental ConservationLocationAvon NY (near Rochester)Job CategoryTemporary...
Research Scientist Technology And Automation In Forestry, NIBIO - Norwegian Institute of Bioeconomy Research, Norway, 22 days ago
Key Information The department of Forest Technology and Economics now has a vacant position as researcher in application of machine-based sensors for improved forest operations and mapping of the ...
Assistant/Associate Professor – Forest Genetics And Tree Improvement, Mississippi State University, Worldwide, 11 days ago
Assistant/Associate Professor – Forest Genetics and Tree Improvement Department of Forestry Mississippi State University Position: Full-time, tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor position in...
Permanent (Full Time) Scientific Vacancy In The Field Of “The Health Of Forest Ecosystems”, Université de Liège (ULiege), Belgium, about 3 hours ago
A position of first assistant, in the field of The health of forest Ecosystems, attached to the Gembloux Agro-Bio Tech Faculty (single department). In Europe, recurrent droughts affect how forests...
Lead Forester Nrs2 – Washington, Department of Natural Resorces, United States, 4 days ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyDepartment of Natural ResorcesLocationPort Angeles, WAJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalary$41,352.00 - $62,...