Forensic Science - Drug Chemistry, Senior Technician
Fixed Term, 9 Months
Institute of Environmental Science and Research Ltd (ESR)
ESR is a company that develops innovative solutions critical to the world of environmental health and forensic science, and has approximately 400 staff with sites in Auckland, Christchurch, Upper Hutt, and Porirua. As well as our work supporting government agencies to improve their services and operations, we work with clients in central and local government, industry organisations and the private sector.
About the role
The Drug Chemistry Team fulfils a vital role in the administration of justice in NZ and keeping people safe through the accurate analysis and identification of illicit drugs. As a Forensic Senior Technician in the Drug Chemistry Team you will be expected to be involved in the running, maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment including FTIR, GC-MS and UHPLC instrumentation. You will also carry out the scientific examination and analysis of suspected drug items for forensic purposes. The role is based at the Mount Albert Laboratory of ESR.
Duties and Responsibilities of this role include:
- Providing technical assistance in the scientific examination and analysis of illicit drugs and other items for forensic purposes to the specified standard.
- Working under the direction of the reporting scientist and communicating the results of the analyses to the supervising reporting scientist.
- Sampling items for trace DNA for forensic purposes.
- Having responsibility for the maintenance and calibration of instruments, such as FTIR, GCMS and UHPLC.
- Maintaining the specified quality standards in all aspects of the work.
- Maintaining reference collections and ensuring the timely ordering of materials and chemicals.
- Co-ordinating calibration responses.
- Undertaking other duties and specific team role(s) as agreed within the team.
- Contributing to a healthy and safe workplace by identifying, reporting and controlling hazards and promptly reporting any accidents/incidents.
Skills and Experience
Ideally you will bring to this role:
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Self-motivation, positivity and team spirit.
- Relevant forensic experience and proficiency in forensic skills and techniques.
- A sound knowledge of analytical chemistry.
- Experience in the use and maintenance of analytical instrumentation including microscopes, FTIR, GCMS and UHPLC.
- Knowledge of safe laboratory practices and biological and chemical hazards.
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills.
- Computer literacy; especially Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Current drivers licence.
- active work/life policies including family-friendly initiatives and flexible hours
- ongoing personal development
- free car parking
- access to Southern Cross group membership scheme
Please note the successful applicant will be required to complete a pre-employment drug-screen, disclosure of criminal charges/convictions, proof of academic qualifications/papers, the provision of a staff elimination DNA sample and participation in ESRs immunisation programme are conditions of employment for this position. The successful applicant is also required to participate in regular medical monitoring for this role.
Apply on line at https://careers.sciencenewzealand.org/esr/esr-jobs
Closing date: 28 October 2020
Esr 15: Smart Grids: Designing New Aggregation Models For Smart Grids., ph energia lda, Portugal, 17 days ago
IoTalentum is financially supported by the European Commission under the Marie Skłodowska- Curie Actions (MSCA). The benefits of being an ESR of IoTalentum include: • You will work in a stimulatin...
Photochemical Transformations For Library Synthesis, ComInnex, Inc., Hungary, 4 days ago
Applications are invited for a 36-month position as a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Early-Stage Researcher (ESR) in the area of photocatalysis and synthetic organic chemistry. The work will be executed w...
Imt 28 20 Internship/ Bachelor Or Master Thesis: Characterisation Of Permanent Magnets And Their..., Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany, 24 days ago
<strong>Area of research:</strong> <p>Diploma & Master Thesis<br/></p> <br/><strong>Part-Time Suitability:</strong> <p>The position is suitable for part-time employment.</p> <br/><strong>Starting ...
Production And Characterization Of Novel Co² Reduction Electro Catalysts Based On Bimetallic Deposited Clusters., Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 20 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2020-902) Laatst aangepast : 13/11/2020 Research will be done at the Quantum Solid State Physics group, at the Department of Physics and Astronomy, which is part of the Faculty of Scienc...
Marie Sklodowska Curie Esr, University of Newcastle, United Kingdom, 17 days ago
The Role The European Training Network on DIRNANO offers 1 position for an Early-Stage Researcher (ESR) in Professor Moghimi’s group at the School of Pharmacy, Newcastle University, United Kingdom...
Early Stage Researcher In The Frame Of Ser Sing Project / Advanced Surface Enhanced Raman..., UNIVERSIDAD DE ZARAGOZA, Spain, 30 days ago
The SERSING project entails the development of novel handheld or robot-mounted instrumentation for near-real-time or on-demand detection/identification of chemical threats coupled with advanced al...