19 May 2023
AUCKLAND UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
- Research Field
Ethics in health sciences
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
25 Jun 2023 - 00:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
- Lead AUT's largest faculty as we help solve the health workforce crisis in Aotearoa
- Bring inspirational, visionary and authentic partnership-driven leadership
- Focus on improving and achieving equity in educational outcomes for all students
- 5-year renewable role based at AUT's North Shore Campus
Auckland University of Technology (AUT) is dynamic and vibrant with a hugely diverse body of students, staff and partners. As one of the world's top 50 young universities, New Zealand's newest and second highest ranked, AUT is the university of opportunity where all students with talent and potential have the chance to succeed. We have a clear vision expressed through our new Te Tiriti Responsiveness Framework and the cornerstone Ki Uta Ki Tai Student Success Plan which ensures a shared, cohesive approach for the University to achieve its commitments and ambitions for student success, inclusion and belonging. We are a socially driven university with equity and excellence central to our purpose and actions, and offer a stimulating teaching and research environment with strong connections to government, business and industry. AUT has over 27,000 students and around 4,000 staff across our three Auckland teaching campuses.
Become the Dean of our Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences
We are seeking a visionary and authentic new Dean to provide outstanding strategic, academic and people leadership as the head of our unique Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences - Te Ara Hauora A Pūtaiao. This is the perfect time to join and make hugely significant academic and cultural impact to our largest Faculty, which plays a key role in the health and wellbeing of our communities and is a critical contributor to health services and outcomes in Aotearoa New Zealand. We are the largest health science provider in Aotearoa, we influence national policy and debate in health, sports and environmental science and we are actively embedded within numerous diverse communities.
Our Faculty vision "We transform minds by questioning the status quo and applying research and educational excellence in health, climate change, sport, and environmental science to create sustainable and connected communities".
As the Faculty Dean you will lead and empower an energetic faculty executive team of 14 direct reports and approximately 600 (FTE) deeply passionate, committed Faculty staff who are focussed on transformational teaching, strengthening and enhancing the student experience, and contributing impactful high-quality research. We're open to exploration and adventurous approaches to take us to the next level and make things happen - innovation and experimentation is embraced! This role is also a key part of the Vice-Chancellor's Executive, the University's Senior Leadership Team and a member of various University bodies such as Academic board.
Key focus areas will include:
- Champion, holistically support and advance the Faculty's objectives with respect to AUT's Te Tiriti framework.
- Embracing and driving the implementation of the faculty's clear vision and carefully designed 'living' strategy, which smartly informs decision making, curriculum development, research direction, and our place within the university and wider New Zealand, Pacific region and the world.
- Increasing participation and improving outcomes in Health courses for Māori students, and supporting the development of the Māori and Pacific workforce in health, science, sports science and tertiary education.
- Fostering excellence and support in faculty teaching, scholarship, research and collaboration across the schools and research centres. Building greater integrated academic practice with outward reach and focus, while increasing the number of faculty research active staff.
- Continuing to develop an inclusive, positive faculty culture that reflects the university's values - and taking the required measures to achieve high staff engagement.
- Increasing participation and improving outcomes in Health courses for Pacific students, and supporting the development of the Pacific workforce in health, science, sports science and tertiary education.
- Uplifting the Faculty's external profile and ensuring strong personal networking across New Zealand's Health and Health related sectors. Understanding and championing our impact, role and partnerships with the community.
- Driving greater connection and collaboration across the faculty and university, including more open curriculum.
You will be recognised as a culturally capable leader who values diversity, works inclusively and allows and champions creativity, flexibility and innovation whilst being humble and principled. You will be able to lead the Faculty on the next steps of its Te Tiriti journey. You will emphasise the importance of humanity in Health and education, critically displaying attributes of inclusiveness, empathy, trustworthiness, confidence and kindness. Your ability to listen, connect, collaborate, communicate and influence will be critical - as is your level of strong respect for others coupled with an open and engaging attitude that is flexible to changing requirements. A resolute, robust and positive attitude is essential.
Please review the position description for further detail. An extensive candidate information handbook will also be available and added to this advertisement, very soon.
Applications and Selection Criteria
We welcome applications from ambitious and inspiring senior academic, health or science leaders from both within and outside the university sector. Along with your full CV, please ensure to submit a) a cover letter which explains why this particular role (and AUT) is of interest, and b) a statement addressing how your experience aligns with the key selection criteria we're seeking below:
- Start Date: Late-2023/Early-2024 (to be agreed with the successful candidate).
- Term: The successful candidate will secure a 5-year term as Dean of the Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences, renewable by mutual agreement. A competitive remuneration package will be agreed, commensurate with skills and experience.
- Referees: Applicants should also provide names, contact details and clarification of relationship for at least three potential referees. Referees will not be contacted without the prior consent of the applicant.
- Enquiries: Please contact Mike Wood, AUT Executive Recruitment Partner - email@example.com .
Advertising closes: Sunday 25 June at 11:55 pm (New Zealand Standard Time)
Interviews: We expect interviews to take place during early-mid August.
At AUT we strive to be a place where people love to work and learn. We are committed to te Tiriti, excellence and inclusivity and aspire to be the University of choice for Māori and Pacific communities. We welcome people of all ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, socio-economic situations and accessibility needs.
Please note that all applications must be submitted through the online application process. For further information, please send us an enquiry here or call 921 9499. Please note we are happy to answer your questions but we do not accept applications by email. You will need to apply through the standard registration process.
- Number of offers available
- AUCKLAND UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
- New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
Where to apply
Auckland, New Zealand
Te Reo Lecturer, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, about 9 hours ago
Fixed-term lecturing position AUT is vibrant, achievement-oriented, and a rewarding place to work. As one of the world's top 30 millennial universities and Aotearoa New Zealand's newest, AUT offer...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer Midwifery (Permanent 0.8 Fte), Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, 9 days ago
Permanent Part-Time position (0.8 FTE, 4 days a week) AUT South Campus Exciting Career Opportunity! Lecturing opportunity for experienced health professionals with a minimum of a Masters qualifica...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer Midwifery (Permanent Full Time), Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, about 9 hours ago
Permanent Full-Time AUT South Campus Exciting Career Opportunity! Lecturing opportunity for experienced health professionals with a minimum of a Masters qualification, a commitment to Te Tiriti ho...
Lecturer Oral Health, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, 9 days ago
Part-time (0.8FTE), permanent position He aha te mea nui o tea ao? He tāngata, he tāngata, he tāngata! What is the most important thing in the world? It is the people, it is the people, it is the ...
Director, Health Safety And Wellbeing, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, 11 days ago
Become a highly trusted and effective HSW leader and business partner Coach, educate, support and influence staff, managers and leaders Work across AUT's extremely diverse range of workplaces and ...
Senior Research Officer Health & Rehabilitation Research Institute, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, 24 days ago
Health & Rehabilitation Research Institute School of Clinical Sciences Part time (0.4FTE), permanent You are invited to apply for a part time (0.4 FTE) position as a Senior Research Officer. The ...