Research Associate - Temperate Tree Physiology
Fruit Crops Physiology
Vacancy number: 52742
Fulltime - Fixed Term 2 Years
Are you looking to enhance your science career in plant physiology working in sustainable production systems, canopy management and environmental effects on fruit and nut crops?
Do you have an affinity in the use of field and laboratory equipment and technology, including electronic equipment and associated software such as loggers and sensors?
What you will be doing
You will provide technical support for research centred primarily on almonds, grapevine and apples with collaborative opportunities in stonefruit and other perennial crops. You will manage the experiments in orchards, growth rooms and laboratories. This varied role will see you:
- Assisting with design, operation and maintenance of experiments;
- Collecting, collating, and analysing field and laboratory research data;
- Preparing written material for inclusion in reports or scientific papers;
- Supervising other technical and seasonal staff and students.
What you will bring
To be successful in this role, you are required to have:
- Either at least five years of relevant horticultural experience, or a formal qualification in horticulture, biological sciences or equivalent: Either an undergraduate tertiary qualification and at least two years of relevant practical experience, or a post-graduate qualification.
- Practical horticultural experience is an advantage.
- Flexibility to work outside normal working hours as required according to seasonal demands; fit and able to perform physically demanding field work, and comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions. The current projects will require overnight stays in the Regions during the harvest season on multiple occasions.
- A current full driver's licence and an ability to drive long distances is required.
- Ability to travel domestically, and possibly internationally as required.
- A ChemCert accreditation and/or a remote pilot licence are an advantages.
A copy of the Position Description is available for you to view once you click on the 'apply' button.
What you will get
The opportunity to work within a team where you will contribute to exciting projects with an organisation that has an excellent reputation for its science and impact! You will be based in Australia with a small group of PFR staff, but work closely with your New Zealand based team in Hawke's Bay, Clyde, and Motueka. There will be strong opportunities to grow the Team's science activity and collaborations in Australia in line with the team's research direction. We encourage career development for individual researchers, and a development plan will be included in your annual planning session.
At Plant & Food Research, we believe science can create a better future. By finding smarter, greener options today, we're helping secure the world we want to live in tomorrow. With our partners, we use world-leading science and technology to improve the way we grow, fish, harvest, create, prepare and share food. Every day, we have 1000 people working across New Zealand and the world to help develop and deliver healthy foods from the world's most sustainable food systems.
Assistant Or Associate Professor Crop Modelling In Greenhouses And Vertical Farms (Tenure Track), Wageningen University and Research Center, Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
Your job Are you keen to contribute to the sustainable production of healthy fresh vegetables? Do you like to supervise students? Do you want to combine modelling and data analytics with plant exp...
: Institute Professor At The Centre For Innovative And Sustainable Horticultural Technologies (Cizto)., The National Institute of Horticultural Research, Poland, 18 days ago
21 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company The National Institute of Horticultural Research Department Centre for Innovative and Sustainable Horticultural Technologies Research Field Agricul...
Assistant Or Associate Professor Crop Modelling In Greenhouses And Vertical Farms (Tenure Track), Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands, 9 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Wageningen University & Research Research Field Agricultural sciences Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Countr...
Technician Plant Microbiome, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 21 hours ago
For two of our projects, MicroHealth (80% of your time) and Promise II (20% of your time), we are looking for a technician that will support the work of a PhD candidate and a postdoctoral research...
Academic Talent Community – Faculty Of Health, Southern Cross University, Australia, about 21 hours ago
Join SCU’s Faculty of Health Talent Community Flexible, inclusive work environment with generous remuneration and benefits Together we are shaping a better future. We are transforming tomorrow Abo...
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Or Associate Professor Of Novel Cereal Foods, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 7 days ago
Tenure-track Assistant Professor or Associate Professor of Novel Cereal Foods Department of Food Science (FOOD) Faculty of Science (SCIENCE) University of Copenhagen (UCPH) The Department of Food ...