Annual Crops Breeder: Hybrid vegetables
Lincoln, Christchurch, New Zealand
Vacancy number 49263
Salary range: $95,290 to $123,316 (depending on skills and experience)
Permanent Fulltime (38 hours per week)
What you'll be doing | Ngā whāinga matua
You will contribute to our annual crops breeding programme to deliver world class varieties primarily for the hybrid vegetable industry.
You will provide:
- quality breeding research underpinned by technical leadership and mentorship of Vegetable Team members.
- management of the development and ongoing delivery of the hybrid vegetable breeding programmes.
- assistance in the development of budgets, setting strategic direction and contributing to reports.
- project planning with input from key clients, based on the current breeding objectives.
- the establishment and management of research trials to address challenges, and physiological and/or pathological issues related to vegetable production, in NZ and overseas.
For a more detailed outline of the role the Position Description is available for you to view once you click on the 'apply' button.
What you will bring | Ngā tino pūkenga me ngā wheako
- Postgraduate degree, preferably a PhD, in Horticulture/Plant sciences that is Plant Breeding or Genetics related or an undergraduate science degree in Horticulture or Plant sciences combined with significant (at least five years) relevant practical hybrid breeding experience as a technical expert in horticulture or vegetable crops.
- A passion for vegetable crop research that meets the needs of the modern producer and consumer.
- Proven leadership and innovative problem solving together with effective project management.
- Able to work effectively as part of a larger, multi-disciplinary team based nationally with demonstrated skills in facilitating collegial interactions and communicating effectively.
What you will get | Ngā hua o tēnei tūranga
We're a diverse workplace, offering flexible work practices and hassle-free, no-cost parking. Our teams are committed to the work they do, while having fun doing it. We encourage and support career development and offer excellent employee benefits, including generous leave provisions, so you'll have time for the other things you enjoy!
About us | Ko wai mātou
At Plant & Food Research, we believe science can create a better future. By finding smarter, greener options today, we're helping secure the world we want to live in tomorrow. With our partners, we use world-leading science and technology to improve the way they grow, fish, harvest, create, preserve and share food. Every day, we have 1000 people working across Aotearoa New Zealand and the world to help develop and deliver healthy and tasty foods from the world's most sustainable food systems.
Scientist In The Area “Monitoring Crop – (Micro)Climate Interactions In Protected Plant Cultivation Systems” (F,M,D), Leibniz, Germany, about 11 hours ago
The Leibniz-Institute of Vegetable and Ornamental Crops (IGZ) aims for excellence in horticultural research and related plant, environmental and social sciences. IGZ is based in Großbeeren close t...
Research Scientist (M/F/D) In Plant Genetics And Breeding , Technical University of Munich, Germany, about 2 hours ago
13.03.2023, Wissenschaftliches Personal The Chair of Plant Breeding at the Technical University of Munich / TUM School of Life Sciences invites applications for the position of a Plant Scientist s...
Contract Learning Designer, Open Polytechnic, New Zealand, about 11 hours ago
Contract Learning Designer - Open Polytechnic | Te Pūkenga This position can be based anywhere in NZ Ko Pukeatua te maunga e tū mai rā Ko Waiwhetu te wai e rere Ko te Kuratini Tuwhera te whakaruru...
Technology Director Crop Xr (0.5 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
Print this page Technology Director CropXR (0.5 FTE) Job description CropXR is a new national virtual research institute to be launched in 2023 focused on resilient crops for sustainable agricultu...
Assistant/Associate Professor, Wheat Breeding And Genetics, University of Alberta, Canada, about 4 hours ago
This position is a part of the Association of the Academic Staff of the University of Alberta (AASUA). Location - North and South campus. This role is in person The Department of Agricultural, Foo...
Junior Research Technician, VIB, Belgium, 5 days ago
The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) is a world-leading plant science institute located at the heart of a renowned plant biotechnology campus in Ghent, Belgium. Its mission is to ...