Faculty of Humanities, Leiden Institute for Area Studies is looking for a:
University Lectureship in Korean Studies (1,0 FTE)
Leiden University invites applications for a University Lecturer in International Relations of Korea to begin in January 2024. We are particularly interested in candidates with disciplinary expertise in the political sciences. Thematic areas of specialization may include political economy, labour, environmental justice, human rights and social justice, development and inequality, government and public policy.
We welcome applicants whose research and teaching profile demonstrates sensitivity to historical, social and cultural contexts related to their research theme. An excellent command of Korean is expected. Certainly in teaching and preferably in research, the successful candidate is expected to engage with the wider (East) Asian context and contribute to position the study of the Koreas in transnational and global configurations.
- Teaching at all undergraduate and graduate levels in the BA programs Korean Studies and International Studies, the MA programs International Relations and Asian Studies, and other programs and courses as appropriate; supervision of BA and MA theses; contributions to curriculum development.
- Original research and regular dissemination of the results through appropriate channels;
- Securing external funding to support research and other activities;
- Administrative duties;
- Representation of the field to external audiences and media.
- A PhD degree in Korean Studies or in a relevant discipline (e.g., international relations, political science or political economy with a strong focus on Korea). Candidates near completion of the degree will be considered;
- An excellent command of Korean
- A research and publication record that is commensurate with career stage;
- Commitment to high-quality teaching practice, and wide teaching scope in terms of content;
- Specialist and near-native knowledge of the language and history of the Korean peninsula;
- An excellent command of English. The BA in International Studies and all MAs are offered in English, and English may be used in the BA Korean Studies as well;
- If the successful applicant does not speak Dutch, s/he is expected to do a language training offered by the University Academic Language Centre; LIAS will make resources available to this end.)
- Upon appointment, depending on experience and formal qualifications to date, the successful applicant may be required to enter a nationally standardized tertiary teaching skills certification trajectory (UTQ or University Teaching Qualification).
The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields such as philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature, linguistics and area studies covering nearly every region of the world. With its staff of 995, the faculty provides 27 master’s and 25 bachelor’s programmes for over 7,000 students based at locations in Leiden’s historic city centre and in modern buildings in The Hague. For more information: https://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl
The University Lecturer will hold a position in the Leiden University Institute for Area Studies (https://www.hum.leiden.edu/lias/ ). LIAS is comprised of a School of Asian Studies, a School of Middle-Eastern Studies, and a School of Religious Studies with international staff and student populations. The institute is committed to a present-day vision of area studies, integrating disciplinary and regional-historical perspectives on a solid foundation of excellent language skills.
Current staff in LIAS has expertise in the fields of Anthropology, Archaeology, Art Studies, Buddhist Studies, Film Studies, History, International Relations, Language Pedagogy, Law, Linguistics, Literary Studies, Material Culture Studies, Performance Studies, Philology, Philosophy, Political Economy, Religious Studies, Sociology, and Visual Culture Studies.
Terms and conditions
We offer a fulltime (38 hours per week) position for one year, to be taken up as soon as possible, but no later than 1 January 2024. Upon satisfactory performance the position will be converted into a permanent position.
Salary ranges from €3,974 to €5,439 gross per month, based on a full-time appointment (pay scale 11 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). The university lecturer may start at the appropriate step in scale 10 until they fully meet the requirements for scale 11 as specified by the Faculty of Humanities, particularly with regard to teaching skills certification and the number of years of relevant work experience.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions .
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Diversity and inclusion
Fostering an inclusive community is a central element of the values and vision of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive.
Queries can be directed to Dr. Jin Hee Park (firstname.lastname@example.org )
Applications must be received no later than 11 June 2023. Interviews with shortlisted candidates are scheduled in June 2023. Applications should be in English, and be submitted via the blue button. Please ensure that you include in a single PDF document named ‘FAMILY NAME – Given name – vacancy number and in this order:
- A CV including education and employment history, publications, courses taught, enad languages + proficiency levels;
- A letter of motivation;
- A research agenda with clear potential for applications to funding bodies such as NWO and ERC (max 2 pages);
- A teaching statement (max 1 page);
- Two course descriptions (intro + outline of 12 two-hour weekly sessions) with clear relevance to the position profile;
- Names, positions, and email addresses of three referees (no reference letters at this stage).
Assistant Professor ('Ud') In Classical Archaeology And Art, Leiden University, Netherlands, 7 days ago
26 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Leiden University Research Field Cultural studies Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applic...
Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Modern/Contemporary Korean Studies (Open Field), University of Alberta, Canada, about 22 hours ago
This position is a part of the Association of the Academic Staff of the University of Alberta (AASUA). Location - North Campus Edmonton. This role is in person The Department of East Asian Studies...
Research Technicus, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 1 hour ago
Apply now The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Institute of Physics (LION) invite applications for a Research technician (1,0 fte; temporary position for 1 year) Vacaturenummer: 14110 Key respons...
Assistant Professor In Practice And Theory Of Design, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 1 hour ago
Apply now The Faculty of Humanities, Academy of Creative and Performing Arts (ACPA) is looking for a Assistant Professor in Practice and Theory of Design (0.4-0,5 Fte) Vacancy number:14116 The Aca...
Assistant Professor ('Ud') In Classical Archaeology And Art, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 1 hour ago
Apply now The Department of World Archaeology of the Faculty of Archaeology is looking for an Assistant Professor (‘UD’) in Classical Archaeology and Art Vacancy number: 14063 Profile We seek an e...
Assistant Professor In Practice And Theory Of Design, Leiden University, Netherlands, 7 days ago
26 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Leiden University Research Field Language sciences Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Appli...