The Faculty of Humanities, the Leiden University Institute for History invites applications for a
University Lectureship in Ancient History
- Teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels in the BA, MA and ResMa programmes in History as well as the BA and MA programmes in Classics and Ancient Near Eastern Studies; supervision of BA and MA theses;
- Original research and regular dissemination of the results through appropriate academic channels;
- Administrative duties at the Institute for History and/or at the various Studies programmes which include courses in Ancient History;
- Acquisition of research-funding from NWO, ERC and other sources;
- Representation of the field to external audiences and in public media.
- Specialist knowledge of Greek or Roman history matching at least one of the themes covered by the research profile of the department of Ancient History (The Unification of the Mediterranean world );
- The department particularly welcomes applications by candidates specializing in cultural history, religious history or the history of mentality;
- Excellent knowledge of current debates in the field;
- A PhD degree in Ancient History;
- A research and publication record that is commensurate with career stage;
- An excellent academic teaching record (evidenced by evaluations); commitment to high-quality teaching practice, and wide thematic teaching scope.
- An excellent command of English and willingness to acquire a very good command of Dutch within two years. Candidates who already speak Dutch will receive preferential treatment.
Upon appointment, depending on experience and formal qualifications to date, the lecturer is required to obtain a nationally standardized teaching skills certification (Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs, or BKO).
Since its founding in 1575, Leiden University has acquired an international reputation for excellent teaching and research. In this era of globalization, humanities are more important than ever. Migration, integration, trade and technology are blurring the borders between countries and cultures. To be able to cooperate and live together, it is crucial that we understand each other. Humanities offer the insights we need to do this. Research and education range from languages, cultures, area studies to history, philosophy, arts and religious studies. We are driven by passion and curiosity about the world around us. With its staff of 800, the faculty provides 25 Bachelors and 28 Masters programmes for over 7,200 students based at locations in Leiden’s historic city centre and in modern buildings in The Hague. For more information, see the website of Humanities.
Terms and conditions
The appointment (0.8 FTE) is in temporary employment, initially for one year (August 1, 2021 to July 31, 2022), followed by a two-year extension (August 1, 2022 to July 31, 2024) and the possibility to become a permanent member of staff after this period. The rank of lecturer corresponds roughly to that of assistant professor in North-American terms. The salary is in accordance with the collective salary agreement of the Association of Dutch Universities (CAO) and depending on qualifications and experience. The gross monthly salary is € 2.790,- to € 5.826,- (scale 10 to 12) for a full working week.
Leiden University also offers an annual holiday premium of 8% and an end-of-year premium of 8.3%. Depending on qualifications, the appointee may start at the appropriate step in scale 10 until he/she fully meets the requirements for scales 11 as specified by the Faculty of Humanities, particularly with regard to teaching skills certification and the number of years of relevant work experience. For more information , see the website.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity, inclusiveness and equal opportunities within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Further information can be obtained from Luuk de Ligt, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Applications should be in English, and should be submitted via the blue button in our application system. Please quote the vacancy number in your application. All requested documents should be sent in one PDF document named ‘FAMILY NAME/Ancient History’:
- Letter of motivation;
- Curriculum Vitae including education, employment history, publications, courses taught and languages & proficiency levels;
- Short description of a BA2 course in Ancient History (no more than 1,000 words);
- A brief statement on research plans for the coming years (no more than 1000 words);
- A copy of one key publication;
- Names, positions, and email addresses of two referees (no reference letters).
Only applications received no later than March 10, 2021 can be considered. Interviews will be held in the final week of March 2021 or in the first week of April.
Lecturer In Korean Language, Leiden University, Netherlands, 12 days ago
Leiden University The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields such as philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature, linguistics and area studies covering nearly eve...
Assistant Professor Sociolinguistics , University of Leiden ;, Netherlands, 9 days ago
The Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL) is looking for an Assistant Professor Sociolinguistics Key responsibilities Leiden University Centre for Linguistics is l...
Lecturer In Korean Language , University of Leiden ;, Netherlands, 17 days ago
The Faculty of Humanities, the Leiden University Institute for Area Studies (LIAS) invites applications for a Lecturer in Korean Language Key responsibilities Teaching Korean language courses from...
Assistant Professor Of Developmental Politics, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 5 hours ago
Leiden University The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences conducts high-quality research and offers a broad and disciplinary educational programme, focused on increasing our understanding o...
University Lecturer (Ud) In American Literature And American Studies , University of Leiden ;, Netherlands, 17 days ago
Key responsibilities The lecturer will hold a position within the Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society (LUCAS) and teach courses as needed in the MA North American Studies, the BA Engl...
Researcher Ancient Greek Or Byzantine Studies, Uppsala University, Sweden, about 10 hours ago
Published: 2021-03-18 Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highe...