The Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society (LUCAS) invites applications for a University Lecturer (UD) in History of Design and Material Culture (0.8-1.0 FTE), starting date 1 August 2023, Vacancy number: 23-021 13344.
LUCAS and the Department of Art History want to confirm and strengthen their expertise in the history of design and the decorative arts with a special interest for material culture studies. We are looking for art historians with a strong, demonstrable interest in these fields.
- You will develop, teach and coordinate courses on the history and theory of the decorative arts, design and material culture at different levels (esp. in the BA Art History, tracks Kunst & Cultuur and Arts, Media and Society; and in our MA Arts and Culture and Research MA Arts, Literature and Media). Language of instruction are Dutch and English;
- You are required to supervise BA and (Res)MA theses as well as internships in Dutch and English;
- You will cultivate and develop collaborative relations with relevant museums, cultural heritage institutions, private collections and archives, and research institutions;
- You will help in recruiting Dutch and international students by contributing to open days, orientation and information sessions;
- You will participate in the development and implementation of educational innovations, also in digital form;
- You will contribute to our output within one of our research programmes, and will present the results in the form of publications, conference presentations and other means – to academic, professional/societal partners and wider audiences;
- You will acquire project funding at national and international level (NWO, ERC, Horizon Europe etc.)
- You may co-supervise PhD candidates;
- You are required to fulfill administrative duties within the BA/MA programme of Art History and Arts & Culture, the Research MA Arts, Literature and Media, the LUCAS institute and/or the Faculty of Humanities;
- You will actively participate in the academic community of the Institute;
- You are well-connected and eager to further develop an extensive network in the field.
- You hold a PhD degree on a topic regarding design and decorative arts, with a special interest in the study of material culture;
- You bring expertise in the field of the analysis of objects, collections, artistic practices, and exhibitions;
- You are aware of current issues, viewpoints and innovative methods within the field;
- You are an innovative and inspiring teacher, with an inclusive approach to education and a strong commitment to teaching a diverse community of BA and (research) MA students;
- You are willing and able to meet the requirements for a Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO) within two years if you do not already possess a Dutch University Teaching Qualification;
- You can contribute to the research profile of LUCAS and have affinity with the institute’s aims, values and strategy (https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities/centre-for-the-arts-in-society/research )
- You have a promising publication record, notably international peer-reviewed publications and/or monographs;
- You have experience with acquiring research or educational awards/grants;
- You are a clear communicator and team player, enthusiastic to collaborate across disciplinary boundaries, in both teaching and research;
- You possess the following competences: conceptual capacity, environment orientation, presenting skills, result orientation, organisational sensitivity.
- You have a native proficiency in Dutch and a (near) native proficiency English;
- You live and are officially registered as resident in The Netherlands or are willing to relocate upon starting the position.
The Faculty of Humanities at Leiden University is a unique international centre for the advanced study of languages, cultures, arts, and societies worldwide, in their historical contexts from prehistory to the present. Our faculty is home to more than 6,000 students and 800 staff members. For more information see: https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities .
The Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society (LUCAS; https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities/centre-for-the-arts-in-society ) is one of the seven Academic Institutes of the Faculty of Humanities. We are dedicated to ground-breaking research that explores the multifaceted relationships between the arts and society. The institute hosts a range of academic disciplines clustered around a key research theme: the relationships between the arts and society. Our members study cultural production over the course of two millennia, from classical antiquity to our contemporary world. Strengthened by our diversity, LUCAS members are uniquely placed to study the broad concept of the arts, with its rapidly changing ideas, aesthetics, and theories of cultural production. Through research, expertise, and service, the Institute strives to facilitate a deeper understanding of the cognitive, historical, cultural, creative, and social aspects of human life.
We offer a position as University Lecturer (UD) of 0.8 to 1.0 FTE (exact size tbd) initially for 1.5 years, with the possibility of an extension to a permanent position, based on performance. The appointment will consist of 75% teaching/admin, and 25% research. The salary is in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO) and depending on qualifications and experience. The gross monthly salary is € 2,960,- (scale 10) to € 5,439,- (scale 11) for a full working week. Depending on qualifications, the appointee may start at the appropriate step in scale 10 until they fully meet the requirements for scale 11 as specified by the Faculty of Humanities, particularly with regard to teaching skills certification and the number of years of relevant work experience.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. https://www.workingat.leiden.edu/ .
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ / BKO). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, they must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Fostering an inclusive community is a central element of the values and vision of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive.
Digital Humanities expertise
We are particularly looking for candidates who have the digital knowledge and skills that are relevant for their field of research, and who are able to teach these.
Enquiries can be made to the Programme Chair of the BA Art History and MA Arts & Culture, prof. dr. S.P.M. Bussels (email@example.com ). Questions about the procedure can be directed at Mariska de Groot (firstname.lastname@example.org ). Information about LUCAS can be found at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/geesteswetenschappen/centre-for-the-arts-in-society and about Leiden University at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en .
How To Apply
Please submit your application via the online recruitment system, by clicking the 'Apply' button, latest 28 February 2023 23:59. Applications received via e-mail will not be taken into consideration. Your application should include:
- A letter of motivation including a discussion of the candidate’s current scholarship, future research plans, and vision on teaching (max. 2 A4);
- A CV including education and employment history, publications, courses taught and language proficiency;
- An outline of your research plans for the coming years, with clear potential for grant applications (max. 2 A4);
- Recent teaching evaluations;
- Names, positions, and email addresses of two referees (no reference letters); please list these on your cv rather than filling them out separately in the system.
(Online) interviews and teaching presentations will take place 23 March 2023. The appointment will start 1 August 2023.
2 Year Fixed Term Lectureship In Anthropology Or Sociology Of China, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Apply now The Faculty of Humanities at Leiden University invites applications for a 2-year lectureship (teaching replacement) in anthropology or sociology of China, fixed term from 1 August 2023 t...
Student Assistant (10 12 Hours Per Week), Leiden University, Netherlands, 21 days ago
Terms and conditions The employment contract is in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities for a period of one year. Depending if you are a bachelor or master student...
Legal And Technology Assistant (0,4 Fte), Leiden University, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
We offer The employment contract is in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities for a period of one year. Depending if you are a bachelor or master student the salary ...
2 Year Fixed Term Lectureship In Anthropology Or Sociology Of China, Leiden University, Netherlands, 9 days ago
2-year fixed term lectureship in anthropology or sociology of China 2-year fixed term lectureship in anthropology or sociology of China Published Deadline Location today 2 Apr Leiden 2-year fixed ...
University Lectureship In The Digital Urban Studies Of East Asia, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Apply now The Leiden University Institute for Area Studies (LIAS) invites applications for a University Lectureship in the Digital Urban Studies of East Asia (1.0fte) The Faculty of Humanities at ...
Assistant Professor (Ud) In The Field Of Ecosystems And Sustainability, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
Apply now Leiden University College (LUC) The Hague, part of theFaculty of Governance and Global Affairsis looking for an Assistant Professor (UD) in the field of Ecosystems and Sustainability LUC...