The Leiden University, Faculty of Humanities, Institute for History is looking for
University Lecturer in Migration History (0,8 fte.)
Vacancy number 22-788 13221
Starting date 1 August 2023.
Leiden University History Department has a vacancy (tenured position) for a lecturer in Migration History. For this position we are looking for a Migration Historian. As a lecturer you will hold a position in the Institute for History, working within the research specialisation Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence (CMGI). Most of the teaching for this post will be in Leiden University's Dutch-taught BA Economic and Social History, and in the English-taught MA Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence, and its sub-track Governance of Migration and Diversity (part of the Leiden-Delft-Erasmus joint MA Governance of Migration and Diversity LDE GMD).
- Teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels, in tutorial, lecture and seminar formats, and supervision of theses in recent Economic and Social History, with an emphasis on Migration History (BA and MA level).
- Doing original research on Migration History (with an emphasis on the period after 1900) and dissemination of the results through appropriate channels, and applying for funding.
- Co-organising teaching with our section ESH/CMGI
- Performing administrative and coordinating tasks in line with career stage.
- Representation of the field to external audiences and media.
- You hold a PhD degree in Migration History.
- You have expertise that compliments what is already done within our section.
- You have a publication record that is matching your career stage.
- You have experience in teaching at university level, proven by teaching evaluations and/or a teaching certificate.
- You have earning capacity when it comes to external funding.
- You have affinity with and capacity for teamwork and collegiality in an intercultural work environment.
- You are willing and able to explore the possibilities of AI and Digital Humanities in Migration Research.
- You have an excellent command of English.
- If you do not speak Dutch, you are expected to acquire a good command of Dutch (B1 level) within two years of the appointment. The Institute for History will make resources available to this end.
Upon appointment, depending on experience and formal qualifications to date, you are required to obtain a nationally standardized teaching skills certification (Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs, or BKO). If you do not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, you must be willing and able to obtain this Qualification within two years.
About our organisation
Since its founding in 1575, Leiden University has acquired an international reputation for excellent teaching and research. With its staff of over 800, the Faculty of Humanities provides 26 Bachelors and 27 Masters programmes for over 7,200 students based at locations in Leiden and The Hague.
The Institute for History is the home of a vibrant community of researchers and lecturers with outstanding track records and successful in attracting national and international research grants. Under the label ‘Global Questions, Local Sources’ scholars affiliated to the Institute combine a deep knowledge of global interactions and of specific localities, regions and states in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas. They use comparative, connective and entangled approaches and resort to qualitative and quantitative research methodologies.
All researchers of the Institute for History are connected to one of the six research specializations: The Unification of the Mediterranean World (400 BC – 400 AD), Collective Identities and Transnational Networks in Medieval and Early Modern Europe, 1000-1800, Political Culture and National Identities, Colonial and Global History, Cities, Migration and Global Interdependence, and History and International Relations. For more information on the Institute for History: https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities/institute-for-history .
Diversity and Inclusion
Leiden University’s Institute for History embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized backgrounds to apply.
Terms and conditions
The appointment (0,8 fte) is in temporary employment for 18 months (1 August, 2023 to January 31st, 2025), with the prospect of a permanent position after positive evaluation. The position corresponds to the position of University Lecturer in the University system of job profiles (UFO). The salary is in accordance with the collective salary agreement of the Association of Dutch Universities (CAO) and depending on qualifications and experience. The gross monthly salary is € 3557 (scale 10-4) to € 6181 (scale 12) for a full working week.
Depending on qualifications, as specified by the Faculty of Humanities, particularly regarding teaching skills certification and the number of years of relevant work experience, the appointee may either start at the appropriate step in scale 10, 11 or 12.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions
For more information about:
Further information for this position can be obtained from Professor Marlou Schrover email@example.com .
Applications should be in English, and be submitted to the hiring Committee at via the blue button, with the items listed below included in this order in a single PDF document named ‘LAST NAME/Position Migration History':
- Curriculum Vitae including education and employment history, overview of publications and courses taught.
- Letter of motivation (max. 1 page).
- Research agenda, with the potential for (inter)national grant application (max. 1 page).
- One sample course description (max. 1 page).
- Names, positions, and email addresses of two referees (no reference letters).
The deadline for applications is 27 January 2023. Interviewees will be invited to give a 20 minute mock-lecture and a 10 minute research presentation. Interviews will be held in week 11.
University Lecturer (Ud) In Global Art History (0.8 1.0 Fte) , University of Leiden ;, Netherlands, 4 days ago
The Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society (LUCAS) invites applications for a University Lecturer (UD) in Global Art History (0.8 – 1.0 FTE), starting date 1 August 2023, Vacancy number:...
University Lecturer (Ud) In History Of Design And Material Culture (0.8 1.0 Fte) , University of Leiden ;, Netherlands, 1 day ago
The Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society (LUCAS) invites applications for a University Lecturer (UD) in History of Design and Material Culture (0.8-1.0 FTE), starting date 1 August 202...
Assistant Professor In Applied Cognitive Psychology, Leiden University, Netherlands, 8 days ago
Assistant Professor in Applied Cognitive Psychology Assistant Professor in Applied Cognitive Psychology Published Deadline Location yesterday 10 Feb Leiden The Cognitive Psychology Unit, part of t...
Tenure Track Profile: Biodiversity And Society, Leiden University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Tenure-track Profile: Biodiversity and Society Tenure-track Profile: Biodiversity and Society Published Deadline Location today 13 Mar Leiden Job description The Faculty of Science is looking for ...
Ambtelijk Secretaris Examencommissie (0,8 Fte), Universiteit Leiden, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Find jobs Blog Events For employers All career services X Sign in Sign up EN NL Back AMBTELIJK SECRETARIS EXAMENCOMMISSIE (0,8 fte) AMBTELIJK SECRETARIS EXAMENCOMMISSIE (0,8 fte) Geplaatst Deadlin...
Medewerker Studentzaken 3 (0,8 Fte), Universiteit Leiden, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Find jobs Blog Events For employers All career services X Sign in Sign up EN NL Back Medewerker studentzaken 3 (0,8 fte) Medewerker studentzaken 3 (0,8 fte) Geplaatst Deadline Locatie 24 jan 31 ja...