University Lecturer (0.8 fte)
University Lecturer (0.8 fte)
- Teaching in the field of Colonial and Global History at the undergraduate (primarily Dutch-language) and master's (primarily English-language) levels;
- Jointly organizing the teaching within the section;
- Carrying out research, resulting in the publication of relevant articles and books in the field of Colonial and Global History;
- Initiating new research projects and applying for research funding from external bodies;
- Initiating and coordinating academic cooperation in the field of Colonial and Global History with (potential) partner institutions across the world, in particular in the context of the Cosmos Malabaricus project of the Kerala Council of Historical Research in India;
- (Co-)Editorship for relevant journals or book series, such as the LUP-series Dutch Sources on Colonial and Global History with Leiden University Press.
- max. 30.4 hours per week
- €3974—€5439 per month
- Leiden View on Google Maps
- Proven teaching experience and didactic capabilities;
- A completed PhD dissertation in the field of Colonial and Global History, preferably pertaining to the early modern history of the Indian Ocean world;
- A research agenda which will contribute to the development of a Colonial and Global History research profile within the section and the Institute;
- Willingness to participate in all aspects of teaching within the General History section and the MA specialization Colonial and Global History;
- Ability to use published and unpublished Dutch-language colonial sources;
- Deep knowledge of the archival collections of the VOC in the Netherlands and abroad, including their potential for writing regional Asian histories;
- Basic knowledge in the field of Archival Studies as well as preparedness to learn/use the latest technological skills regarding Digital Humanities (incl. HTR);
- Expertise in the early modern history of at least one region in the Indian Ocean world, preferably with a capacity to use sources in at least one relevant Asian language;
- Ability to work in Dutch and English. Candidates from outside the Netherlands will be expected to acquire basic skills in teaching in the Dutch language within the first two year of their appointment;
- Possession of a Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO), or willingness to acquire this qualification.
Conditions of employment
Fostering an inclusive community is a central element of the values and vision of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive.
Terms and conditions
The appointment is for 30,4 hours per week (0.8 fte) in temporary employment for a period of 18 months, with the option to become a permanent member of staff thereafter. The position corresponds to the position of University Lecturer in the University system of job profiles (UFO).
The salary is in accordance with the collective salary agreement of the Association of Dutch universities (CAO NU). Depending on qualifications and experience, the gross monthly salary is € 3557 (scale 10-4) to € 6181 (scale 12) for a full working week. Leiden University also offers an annual holiday premium of 8% and an end-of-year premium of 8.3%.
About our faculty
Since its founding in 1575, Leiden University has acquired an international reputation for excellent teaching and research. With its staff of 800, the Faculty of Humanities provides 25 Bachelors and 28 Masters programmes for over 7,200 students based at locations in Leiden's historic city centre and in The Hague. For more information on the Institute for History https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities/institute-for-history.
For more information about this position, please contact Professor dr. Jos Gommans: (email@example.com )
Discover the world at Leiden University
Leiden University is one of Europe’s leading international research universities. Get to know us as an employer.
Apply for this job
Apply for this job
This application process is managed by the employer (Leiden University). Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.Apply for this job via the employer's website
Thank you for applying
Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.
Tip: save this job as favorite in your AcademicTransfer account. This gives you an immediate overview and makes it easy to find the job later on. No account yet? Create it now and take advantage of other useful functionalities too!
Back to the vacancy
Applications, accompanied by
(a) a curriculum vitae,
(b) a one-page course design for a third-year undergraduate research seminar, and
(c) a copy of a key publication
mentioning the vacancy number can be submitted via the blue button in our application system, up to and including 31 October 2022.
Interviews will take place in the second and third week of November 2022.
Professor By Special Appointment Transatlantic Environmental History, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
Apply now The Faculty of Humanities Leiden University and the Roosevelt Institute for American Studies (RIAS) are pleased to announce a vacancy for a Professor by special appointment (bijzonder ho...
Full Professor In Algebra, Geometry And Number Theory (0.8 1.0 Fte), Leiden University, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
Apply now The Faculty of Science and the Mathematical Institute are looking for a: Full professor in Algebra, Geometry and Number Theory (0.8-1.0 fte) Vacancy nr: 22-775 The Mathematical Institute...
Knowledge Valorization Staff Member, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
Apply now The African Studies Centre Leiden is looking, for the Knowledge Platform on Inclusive Development Policies (INCLUDE) , for a Knowledge Valorization Staff member (0,8 FTE) Vacaturenummer:...
Cryo Electron Microscopy Scientist (1.0 Fte), Leiden University, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Apply now The Netherlands Centre for Electron Nanoscopy (NeCEN) at Leiden University, The Netherlands is looking for a: Cryo-electron microscopy scientist (1.0 fte) Vacancy number: 22-720 Key resp...
5 Assistant/Associate/Full Professors In Artificial Intelligence And Computer Science, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Apply now 5 Assistant/Associate/Full Professors in Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science The Faculty of Science, Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science (LIACS), is looking for candid...
Full Professor In 'African Linguistics', Leiden University, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
Apply now The Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University Centre for Linguistics (LUCL) is looking for a: Full professor in 'African Linguistics' (1,0 FTE, 38 hours per week) Vacancy number: 22-766 1...