- 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 2,960 - € 4,670
- Required background
- Research University Degree
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Application deadline
- 04 January 2023
Do you want to be part of a team advancing a new key technology in neuroscience? Focused ultrasound is a minimally invasive technology that opens exciting new horizons for non-invasive deep brain stimulation, surgery without a scalpel, targeted drug-delivery, and more. Radboud University has launched the FUS Initiative to accelerate research and clinical translation. As an ultrasound engineer, you help us turn these promises into reality.
Radboud University has launched the FUS Initiative to accelerate research and clinical translation. You will collaborate closely with researchers and clinicians from Radboud University and the Radboud university medical center to help realise new ultrasound innovations and provide technical research support. The team will be the link between researchers, industry, and non-profit organisations in the FUS Initiative.
You will be part of the core staff of the Radboud FUS Initiative. You will take a leading role in developing the next generation of neuromodulation: transcranial ultrasonic stimulation. For example, you will interact with researchers and external partners to co-develop systems, solve problems, and identify future technical research directions. Your work may include measurement of ultrasound fields, calibration of ultrasound equipment, integration of ultrasound stimulation and imaging, and acoustic simulation. Your role will likely also include equipment control, configuration and testing of lab set-ups, and interfacing ultrasound devices and neuroscience tools. You will be consulted for technical advice on study design and stimulation protocols. You will help develop and implement scientific software required for ultrasonic neuromodulation, such as planning, targeting and safety software.
- You have a degree (BSc, MSc, PhD) in engineering, physics or a related field such as medical imaging or biomedical engineering.
- You have experience with imaging or therapeutic applications of ultrasound and with measurement of ultrasound fields and transducer characterisation.
- You have expertise in focused ultrasound or therapy ultrasound.
- You have experience with acoustic simulations, signal processing, and programming.
- You have scientific coding skills, for example in Python, R, and/or Matlab.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively present complex or technical information to a range of audiences.
- You are enthusiastic about being part of team advancing focused ultrasound research and applications.
- You have the ability and motivation to quickly gain expertise in focused ultrasound or therapy ultrasound.
- You enjoy solving problems, overcoming challenges and collaborating with researchers and clinicians.
- You have a strong command of English.
The Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour is a world-class interfaculty research centre, that houses more than 700 researchers devoted to understanding the mechanistic underpinnings of the human mind. Research at the Donders Institute is focused around four themes: 1. Language and communication , 2. Perception, action and decision-making , 3. Development and lifelong plasticity , 4. Natural computing & neurotechnology . Excellent, state-of-the-art research facilities are available for the broad range of neuroscience research that is being conducted at the Donders Institute. The Donders Institute has been assessed by an international evaluation committee as 'excellent' and recognised as a 'very stimulating environment for top researchers, as well as for young talent'. The Donders Institute fosters a collaborative, multi-disciplinary, supportive research environment with a diverse international staff. English is the lingua franca at the Institute.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €2,960 and a maximum of €4,670 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 10 ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 1 year, which will be extended to at least December 31st 2024 and possibly longer.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Dr Mieke van Holstein, Project leader FUS initiative at +316 31 13 29 42 or email@example.com .
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 4 January 2023 exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Mieke van Holstein. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
The first round of interviews will take place on 10 January. You would preferably begin employment as soon as possible.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline 04 January 2023
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.
Dr Holstein, M.G.A. van (Mieke)
Project leader FUS initiative
firstname.lastname@example.org +316 31 13 29 42
Job application form
* Mandatory field
Are you an internal candidate at Radboud University?
When are you an internal candidate?
You are an internal candidate if you:
- Work at Radboud University (i.e. have an employment contract with Radboud University).
- Are a former Radboud University employee receiving unemployment (WW/BWNU) benefits paid by Radboud University (which started less than two years ago or resulted from the discontinuation of your job/redundancy).
- Currently work as a student employee at Radboud University through the campus employment office.
- Work as a temporary employee at, or have been seconded to, Radboud University.
One file only.
5 MB limit.
One file only.
6 MB limit.
One file only.
4 MB limit.
One file only.
2 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
Read our data processing policy .
Last modified: 02 December 2022
Share this page
Staff Scientist In Ultrasound Engineering At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Focused ultrasound stimulation (FUS) is a new non-invasive deep brain stimulation technique that opens up new horizons in research and treatment. Radboud University has joined forces in the focuse...
Project Manager For Donders Citylab @Mu Zi Eum, Radboud University, Netherlands, 9 days ago
We offer a challenging multidisciplinary project environment with interesting research opportunities and researchers as well as muZIEum as a partner. The Donders Institute is a research institut...
Donders City Lab Officer, Radboud University, Netherlands, 22 days ago
Donders CityLab Officer Donders CityLab Officer Published Deadline Location today 26 Mar Nijmegen Job description Would you like to make a difference by bringing research and society together in a...
Ai Software Engineer At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, 11 days ago
AI Software Engineer at the Donders Centre for Cognition AI Software Engineer at the Donders Centre for Cognition Published Deadline Location today 1 Apr Nijmegen Job description As a member of ou...
Assistant Professor Of Very Long Baseline Radio Interferometry, Radboud University, Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
The Department of Astrophysics at Radboud University is part of the Institute for Mathematics, Astrophysics and Particle Physics (IMAPP). This vibrant and international department currently consis...
Electron Microscopy Specialist, Radboud University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
The Department of General Instrumentation (GI) is a shared facility of the Faculty of Science at Radboud University. It plays an important role in our international, scientific and dynamic communi...