The Department of Media Studies is looking for two Assistant professors in Media and Culture with an innovative research agenda and relevant teaching expertise in cultural approaches to media.
What are you going to do?
You will provide education in a dynamic context with ample opportunities for the development of innovative teaching methods. Your research will be part of the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA) , one of the five research schools of the Amsterdam Institute for Humanities Research . ASCA is home to more than 100 researchers and more than 140 PhD candidates, and conducts world-leading research in Cultural Analysis. ASCA researchers share a commitment to studying culture in all its forms and expressions within an interdisciplinary framework, and to maintaining a close connection with contemporary cultural and political debates. All ASCA research fits into at least one, but usually more than one of five thematic constellations: 1) Mediality; 2) Arts & Aesthetics; 3) Globalization & Migration; 4) Identities; and 5) Cultural & Social Critique.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- designing and conducting independent research on film, television and/or cross-media studies, resulting in academic publications in peer-reviewed international journals and/or books;
- actively pursuing external funding for research, notably funding from research councils, national as well as European;
- actively contributing to and developing national and international research networks and other forms of cooperation;
- actively contributing to the research activities of the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA);
- developing, coordinating and teaching courses in both Dutch and English, in the BA programme in Media and Culture as well as in the MA programmes in Film Studies, Television and Cross-Media Culture, and the Research Master’s in Media Studies;
- supervising BA and MA theses and tutoring students; co-supervising PhD theses;
- actively contributing to the development and improvement of the broader teaching programmes in the department;
- taking part in committees and working groups, and carrying out departmental administrative tasks as directed.
What do we require of you?
You are a dynamic and ambitious researcher with a strong profile, demonstrable by international publications and an international academic network. Your publications show broad knowledge of media from a cultural perspective and a strong affinity with film, television and/or cross-media studies. Your research matches the profile of the ASCA.
You are able to develop and teach courses on a range of media topics, in particular television, film, digital and/or social media, as well as their intersections. Important is proven flexibility in teaching on topics beyond your own research focus, a willingness to work in interdisciplinary teams of teachers and the ability to offer inspiring lectures and tutorials in the BA, MA and minor programmes that aspire to a wide range of students. You have proven excellent administrative, organisation, and coordination skills.
Your experience and profile:
- holds a PhD in Media and Culture or a related field with a relevant research focus;
- has an international academic network in the research area concerned;
- provides research output commensurate with the level of the position;
- is an active and ambitious researcher with a strong publication record;
- demonstrates ability and ambition to obtain external research grants;
- has wide and relevant teaching experience at BA and MA level;
- has excellent command (near-native fluency) of both Dutch and English; non-native Dutch speakers must achieve an active and passive command of Dutch within two years (passing the state examination for Dutch as a Second Language programme II is a prerequisite for a permanent employment contract);
- has experience with digital and audio-visual teaching facilities and affinity with ICT in university teaching;
- is experienced in public pedagogy and practice-based education and/or research;
- is good team worker and versatile at all levels, capable of multidisciplinary co-operation;
- has excellent organisational experience and skills;
- holds the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification, or is willing to acquire this within the first two years.
Research that entails collaboration with non-academic institutions and agencies in the Netherlands, Europe, and beyond is highly welcome.
We offer a temporary employment contract for a period of two years with the intention of converting it into a permanent contract after a positive assessment. Our ideal starting date of the employment contract is 1 August 2021.
The gross monthly salary, dependent on relevant experience, will range from €3,746 to €5,826, based on 38 hours a week. This is excluding a generous holiday scheme (8%) and year-end bonus (8.3%). A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% rule’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement for the Dutch Universities is applicable.
We additionally offer:
- the opportunity to collaborate in interdisciplinary teams;
- opportunities for professional development;
- an inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
To work at the University of Amsterdam is to work in a discerning, independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterized by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society. Here you can read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
About the Faculty of Humanities
The Faculty of Humanities provides education and conducts research with a strong international profile in a large number of disciplines in de field of language and culture. Located in the heart of Amsterdam, the faculty maintains close ties with many cultural institutes in the capital city. Research and teaching staff focus on interdisciplinary collaboration and are active in several teaching programmes. The faculty offers assistant professors the opportunity to collaborate with leading researchers at research institutes that - partly as a result of their interdisciplinary approach - are world-renowned.
For questions about this position or the department you may contact:
- Jeroen de Kloet , Chair of the Department of Media Studies
T: +31 (0)20 525 2586
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application. You may apply online by using the link below.
Applications (to the Dean of the faculty, Prof. F.P. Weerman), including a motivation letter, a detailed CV, a list of publications and the names and e-mail addresses of two referees who can provide letters of recommendation, should be submitted in pdf.
The response period closes on 9 May 2021. Only complete applications received within the response period via the link below will be considered.
The interviews will be in the course of May and June 2021. A trial lecture may be part of the application procedure.
No agencies please
Associate Professor/Assistant Professor/Lecturer Tv And Film Production , Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University ;, China, 7 days ago
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – School of Film and Television Arts University Overview Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI uni...
Associate Professor /Assistant Professor/Lecturer, Tv And Film Production, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 4 days ago
DEPARTMENT: School of Film and Television Arts, Academy of Media and Creative Technology ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Specialised in Sound Arts/ TV Studio Production/Screenwriting and Creative Writing/ or...
Professorship In Media Aesthetics And Media Technology (W2/W3), LEUPHANA UNIVERSITY OF LUENEBURG, Europe, 4 days ago
HUMANISTIC. SUSTAINABLE. ENTREPRENEURIAL. To achieve its educational aims, Leuphana University has developed a unique program aligned with the ideas of liberal education and humanism and has foun...
Video Content Producer, Washington State University, Worldwide, about 6 hours ago
Title: 203K-YN - TV/Video Equipment Operator 2 Business Title: Video Content Producer Location: Employee Type: Classified Job Family: Civil Service - OT Eligible Position Details: As a member of t...
Professor And Dean, The Academy Of Film And Creative Technology , Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University ;, China, 7 days ago
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – Academy of Film and Creative Technology University Overview Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EM...
Associate Professor / Assistant Professor In Tv And Mediaproduction, University of Stavanger, Norway, 18 days ago
Job description The University of Stavanger invites applicants for a position as Associate Professor in TV- and mediaproduction at the Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Media- and Social S...