TT Asst. Prof. Sustainable Process & Product Design, edu focus (V23.0617)
- « Back to the overview
We are looking for an Assistant Professor who is interested in starting a career that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of Sustainable Process and Product Design. As an Assistant Professor, you'll be responsible for sharing the ins and outs of sustainable process and product design with students. Your mission will be to equip them with a holistic perspective that takes into account a product or process's entire lifecycle, encompassing environmental, societal, and economic considerations.
Your duties will encompass creating fresh, advanced courses that emphasize process design within the framework of environmentally friendly and sustainable chemical processes. You will also have the opportunity to update some of our existing learning pathways. Although your primary focus will be on the new Engineering Doctorate (EngD) programme, you will also contribute to the Chemical Engineering and Industrial Engineering and Management Bachelor's and Master's programmes.
Beyond teaching, this role opens doors for you to establish a research line in the domain of sustainable process and product design. Your research endeavors will be geared towards optimizing process conditions, enhancing energy efficiency, and devising innovative strategies to curtail the carbon footprint and overall environmental impact of chemical processes.
We offer you a full-time position and excellent career opportunities in our faculty’s career system Career Paths in Science and Engineering, including the perspective to get a permanent appointment (tenure) in 1-3 years and become Full Professor in approximately 10 years.
As Assistant Professor with a focus on education you will:
● teach in the EngD programme Sustainable Process Design and in the degree programmes chemical engineering
● play a significant role in the development of education at FSE, both at the course and the programme level
● develop your own research line and/or contribute to research lines in the ENTEG Chemical Engineering cluster. Depending on the experience and research interests of the candidate, the position will be embedded in the basic unit Product Technology, Green Chemical Reaction Engineering, or Products and Processes for Biotechnology in the Biobased Economy
● supervise EngD students
● contribute to the supervision of PhD students in the research group
● contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education.
At the stage of Assistant Professor, 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks.
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Groningen is the lively capital of the Northern Netherlands with a high quality of life and affordable living conditions.
Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists. The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE - https://www.rug.nl/fse/ ) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, chemical engineering and astronomy, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and industrial engineering & management. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in Engineering and Technology institute Groningen (ENTEG - https://www.rug.nl/research/enteg/ ). ENTEG research is highly multidisciplinary in nature and focuses on fundamental and engineering research on the development of new and innovative processes and products. The aim is to conduct excellent research and education in engineering sciences and technologies that contribute to a sustainable and smart society.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
● a passion for teaching and education development
● excellent teaching qualities
● a PhD degree in Chemical Engineering or a related field
● the ability to inspire students and colleagues
● a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
● at least two years of relevant work experience after your PhD
● demonstrable communicative and organizational competences
● good command of spoken and written English
● the ambition and the potential to climb the academic career ladder.
And you are:
● a team player who can work well in an international, culturally diverse environment
● willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and the Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) in five years
● able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to learn the language within at most five years.
Conditions of employment
The Faculty of Science and Engineering of the University of Groningen was the first on the European mainland to introduce a tenure track career policy, 20 years ago, and with significant success. We have attracted great talents that have contributed strongly to the worldwide leading position of our faculty’s ten research institutes. Our career system has helped our staff members to develop highly successful and rewarding academic careers. The latest version of this system, ‘Career Paths in Science and Engineering’, offers:
● diverse career paths with a focus on research, education or impact
● dynamic career paths, in which staff members can switch focus in the course of their career
● the promotion to Assistant Professor level 1, in combination with a permanent contract, already after 1 - 3 years
● a perspective for promotion to Associate Professor after 5 years, while the assessment for promotion to Full Professor can take place after another 5 years
● significant freedom for staff members whether and when to apply for promotion.
For more information about Career Paths in Science and Engineering, see: https://www.rug.nl/(...)ienceandengineering/
Please consider the career path with a focus on education for the criteria for tenure and for promotion to more senior positions.
As starting conditions, we offer a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 4,332 (salary scale 11) up to a maximum of € 6,737 gross per month (salary scale 12, depending on your career stage) for a full-time position as Assistant Professor. Additionally, we offer:
● a holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
● a pension scheme
● maternity and parental leave
● the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
● a mentor programme and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
● dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/(...)with-us/that-is-why/
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications and a list with names of references
● a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes
● a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You may apply for this position until 23 October 11:59pm / before 24 October 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The initial online selection interviews will take place on 16 and 17 November 2023.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/(...)rsity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Dr J.G.M. Winkelman, Director EngD Sustainable Process Design, +31 50 3634433, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.
- Profile report in which the position is described in more detail
- Career Paths in Science and Engineering
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Marine Organic Carbon Cycle (0.8 1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 2 days ago
5 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Physics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applicatio...
Assistant Professor (Ud) Modern History (0,8 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 3 days ago
2 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Language sciences Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands ...
Eng D Process And Product Design, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
Position Engineering Doctorate (EngD) Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Chemical Engineering and Chemistry Reference number V37.7075 Job description The post-masters program Process and Prod...
2 Lecturer Positions In Economics, Econometrics Or Finance (2.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 1 day ago
7 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Economics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applicat...
Eng D Position On Automotive Radar Antenna Design, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 2 days ago
5 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) Research Field Technology Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands Application De...
Eng D Position On Automotive Radar Antenna Design, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Position Engineering Doctorate (EngD) Irène Curie Fellowship No Department(s) Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.7116 Job description This EngD project will be conducted within the MID4au...