Since its founding in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. We encourage the 36,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Among the best research universities in Europe, we join forces with prestigious partner universities and networks around the world, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
Faculty of Economics and Business
The Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB) is a research focused, international faculty which consistently ranks high in international business rankings. FEB offers an inspiring international academic community for students, staff, alumni and external organisations.
The mission of FEB is to prepare students for a career in research or a leading position in the corporate or public sector through high quality, research-based degree programmes in the fields of economics and business; to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in these fields by conducting high quality research; and to provide a stimulating and international environment for both staff and students.
FEB is an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
Department of Accounting
The department of Accounting is a medium-sized group of around 35 academics coming from a variety of countries. We are active in areas like auditing, corporate governance, corporate social responsibility, financial accounting and reporting, management accounting and control, tax and corporate law.
We teach on accounting and control in several bachelor programmes as well as in the master programmes Business Administration and Accountancy and Controlling. Besides, the department participates in the Research Master program, a challenging 2-year master program intended for students aiming at a PhD.
Our research is concentrated in the SOM Research School. Within SOM, we conduct high-quality research and highly value multidisciplinarity. Currently, we are part of the accounting research programme. We aim to publish our results in premier, peer-reviewed international journals and have published in journals such as Academy of Management Journal, Accounting, Organizations, and Society, Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of Management, and Strategic Management Journal. We also reach out to the business community in communicating our research findings in executive programmes and professional journals.
To strengthen our teaching and research in accounting and control, we are seeking a tenure-track assistant professor who focuses on education. The assistant professor will be located within the department of Accounting (Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB), University of Groningen, The Netherlands). Candidates with teaching interests in the various areas of accounting and control (e.g., corporate governance, financial accounting and reporting, and management accounting and control) are invited to apply.
As an assistant professor with an education profile you are expected to:
- teach in accounting and control across several bachelor and master programmes
- play a significant role in the development of education at FEB, both at the course and the programme level
- contribute to a positive climate within the department and the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education
- undertake sound academic research, which should lead to publications in recognized, international academic journals in a FEB-relevant field; and
- engage in setting up collaborations with colleagues both within and outside of the faculty.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
- a passion for teaching and education development
- relevant teaching competences as shown, for instance, by excellent teaching evaluations in a relevant economics or business domain
- a PhD in accounting or a closely related field
- the ability or potential to publish international academic articles, preferably evidenced by one or more articles in recognized, international academic journals in a FEB-relevant field
- demonstrable organizational competences
- good command of spoken and written English.
and you are:
- willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
- able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment; and
- a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues.
Within the department of Accounting, a full-time position is vacant for a tenure track assistant professor. The vacancy comprises a full-time position, but an 80% or 90% appointment is possible as well, based on the preferences of the candidate.
Tenure track positions at the Faculty of Economics and Business are temporary positions subject to a tenure decision at the end of the fifth year. Formal tenure track requirements include criteria with respect to education, research and citizenship and service. During the tenure track, a 70% (teaching and education management) / 20% (research) / 10% (development time) division is used.
In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch universities, we offer:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience, starting from a minimum of € 3,974 gross per month (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 6,181 gross per month (salary scale 12) for a full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance, as well as participation in a solid pension scheme. Non-Dutch applicants may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. A full-time position entitles you to 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- initially an appointment for seven years, on the condition of a positive mid-term evaluation at the end of the third year of employment. The seventh year is intended to compensate for any ‘life events’ (e.g., prolonged illness or parental leave) which might take place during the first six years. Based on a positive final evaluation at the beginning of the sixth year at the latest, tenure will be granted. Tenure entails a permanent contract and promotion to the rank of associate professor
- a budget of 5,000 euros to spend on e.g. hiring student assistants, travelling, staying abroad, following trainings and courses on teaching (e.g. case- or challenged-based teaching, including diversity and inclusion in teaching, using gaming) and attending (educational) conferences
- a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
- a pension scheme
- maternity and parental leave
- the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
- dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Starting date is negotiable but preferably not later than late 2022/early 2023.
Assistant Professor In Accounting (Tenure Track), University of Amsterdam (UvA), Netherlands, 3 days ago
Assistant Professor in Accounting (tenure track) Assistant Professor in Accounting (tenure track) Published Deadline Location yesterday 1 Dec Amsterdam Job description The University of Amsterdam ...
Assistant Professor In Accounting (Tenure Track) , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
The University of Amsterdam invites applications for tenure-track faculty positions in accounting. Successful candidates will work as Assistant Professor at the Accounting section of the Amsterdam...
Rosalind Franklin Fellow, Tenure Track Assistant/Associate Professor (20.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Rosalind Franklin Fellow, Tenure Track Assistant/Associate Professor (20.0 FTE) Rosalind Franklin Fellow, Tenure Track Assistant/Associate Professor (20.0 FTE) Published Deadline Location 16 Sep 2...
Academic Position In Development Economics, KU Leuven, Belgium, 23 days ago
Benefits The vacancy is open to both junior and senior researchers. PhD students in the final phase of their studies may also apply. The successful candidate will be hired in the rank of Assistant...
Assistant Professor Supervisory Control For Complex System, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 10 days ago
Assistant Professor - Supervisory Control for Complex System Assistant Professor - Supervisory Control for Complex System Published Deadline Location yesterday 31 Oct Eindhoven Job description Do ...
Assistant Professor Supervisory Control For Complex System, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 9 days ago
Do you want to join us in making key contributions to future societal challenges by developing your own research line? We believe engineered systems and their control are essential to address thes...