Tenure Track Assistant Professor Engineering Autonomous Systems (0.8-1.0 FTE) (V23.0731)
- « Back to the overview
We have an opening for an Assistant Professor who is interested to start a career that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of Autonomous Systems. The research area of autonomous systems encompasses foundational, engineering, and technological aspects supporting the development and management of software-intensive systems characterized by autonomy and self-adaptation. It focuses on system design, system and software architectures, and enabling technologies. The candidate is expected to contribute to the existing research activities within the Software Engineering group.
The Assistant Professor will contribute in developing a new Engineering Doctorate (EngD) program on Autonomous Systems, supervising Engineering Doctorate students that work closely with high-tech industries and conducting teaching and research in the aforementioned fields. The Autonomous Systems EngD programme is a strategic programme of the university as part of education innovation and a bridge between fundamental research activities at the University of Groningen and industrial R&D programs at high-tech companies in The Netherlands.
We offer you a full-time position and excellent career opportunities in our faculty’s career system Career Paths in Science and Engineering, including the perspective to get a permanent appointment (tenure) in 1-3 years and become Full Professor in approximately 10 years.
As Assistant Professor, you will:
● teach in the Engineering doctorate programme in Autonomous Systems and possibly in relevant BSc and MSc programmes
● play a significant role in curriculum development and teaching innovation the development of education at the Faculty of Science and Engineering, both at the course and the programme level
● contribute to research lines in the Software Engineering research group and/or possibly develop your own research line
● contribute to the supervision of PhD students in the research group
● contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education.
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks.
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Groningen is the lively capital of the Northern Netherlands with a high quality of life and affordable living conditions. The University has 34000 students in BSc and MSc programmes, 4400 PhD students, and 4600 staff members. Our students and staff come from all around the world.
Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists. The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. At FSE, education and research are strongly intertwined, and we value a strong disciplinary basis for our students. Our programmes in science and engineering, while diverse, share a common view on best practices for research-driven, international education. We are proud of the open, inclusive, and informal character of our community.
The position we offer will be embedded within the Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence, in the Software Engineering group of the Computer Science Department. The Bernoulli Institute is one of the leading institutes in Mathematics, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence. It is a vibrant community with an international outlook, that fosters talent in all its research areas and disciplines, and is active in pure and applied science and (multi-) disciplinary research and teaching.
We seek candidates with the following characteristics:
● a PhD degree in computer science, software engineering or a related field
● a passion for education and excellent teaching qualities, based on a clear vision on education
● the ability to inspire students and colleagues
● a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences and a research statement
● preferably at least two years of relevant work experience after your PhD
● demonstrable communicative and organizational competences
● the ambition and the potential to develop academically
● the ability to work well with others in international and diverse teams
● good command of spoken and written English.
Furthermore, we expect all new staff members to either have a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs) or obtain it within 3 years and, if they do not already speak it, to learn the Dutch language within at most five years.
Conditions of employment
The Faculty of Science and Engineering of the University of Groningen was the first on the European mainland to introduce a tenure track career policy, 20 years ago, and with significant success. We have attracted great talents that have contributed strongly to the worldwide leading position of our faculty’s ten research institutes. Our career system has helped our staff members to develop highly successful and rewarding academic careers. The latest version of this system, ‘Career Paths in Science and Engineering’, offers:
● diverse career paths with a focus on research, education or impact
● dynamic career paths, in which staff members can switch focus in the course of their career
● promotion to Assistant Professor level 1, in combination with a permanent contract, already after 1 - 3 years, provided the relevant criteria are met
● promotion to Associate Professor after 5 years, and promotion to Full Professor after another 5 years, if the corresponding criteria are met
● significant freedom for staff members whether and when to apply for promotion.
For more information about Career Paths in Science and Engineering, see: http://rug.nl/fse/cpse Please consider the career path with a focus on education for the criteria for tenure and for promotion to more senior positions.
As starting conditions, we offer a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 4,332 (salary scale 11) up to a maximum of € 6,737 gross per month (salary scale 12 Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, depending on your career stage) for a full-time position as Assistant Professor. Additionally, we offer:
● a holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
● a pension scheme
● maternity and parental leave
● the possibility of working part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
● a mentor programme and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
● dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications, and a list with names and contact details of references
● a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes
● a research statement, including a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You may apply for this position until 30 November 11:59pm / before 1 December 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place in the weeks of 15-26 January 2024.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/(...)rsity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Paris Avgeriou (for information about the position), [email protected]
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.
Assistant Or Associate Professor On Astronomical Data Science (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 20 days ago
13 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Physics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applicati...
Assistant Or Associate Professor On Astronomical Data Science , ; University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
Job description The Kapteyn Astronomical Institute invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor, with a focus on enhancing our capabilities in the developmen...
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Stem Education (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 18 days ago
15 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Physics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applicati...
Ph D Security And Privacy Of/With Neuromorphic Computing Devices (1,0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 23 days ago
10 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Physics Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 28 Feb 2024 ...
Tenure Track Assistant Or Associate Professor On Astronomical Data Science, University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
The Kapteyn Astronomical Institute of the University of Groningen (RUG) invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor position in Astronomical/Astrophysical Data Science...
Assistant Professor International Business (Career Track: Education Profile), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 3 days ago
1 Mar 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Economics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applicat...