16 Sep 2023
University of Groningen
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Leading Researcher (R4)
Established Researcher (R3)
- Application Deadline
5 Nov 2023 - 23:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
The Integrated Research on Energy, Environment and Society group (IREES, more information: https://www.rug.nl/research/irees/?lang=en ), within Energy and Sustainability Research Institute Groningen (ESRIG) is looking for a tenure track assistant or associate professor who will strengthen our research and teaching related to energy systems and scenario evaluation in the Energy Transition.
Keyword for the area of research is "Energy Transition": the road that inevitably must be taken in the coming decades from the present era of fossil fuels into a future of (decentralized) systems based on renewables. Major subjects along this road are: which sources of energy will be chosen and for what reason(s), who will be the future actors and stakeholders, and what will be the economic, social and environmental impacts. Researchers with a view on the dynamics of the energy system are urgently needed to produce balanced and scientifically sound results on present and future production and consumption systems all over the world. The outcome of such studies will help shape the energy future. The research of the Energy, Environment & Society group (IREES) focuses on how these changes in energy systems will affect sustainability and whether we can identify options to improve the sustainability of these systems. The research varies from local energy supply systems in the Netherlands to global supply systems. The successful candidate also focuses on energy strategies for specific end-use sectors, such as households, services, transport, and industry. Identification of promising local and sector specific solutions are key in this research considering life cycle impacts. This focus will complement and strengthen present research at IREES the best.
Contact us, if you are excited about investigating the opportunities and potential pitfalls of the energy transition and working in a multi-disciplinary environment.
In this position you will:
- as an Assistant Professor, set up and develop your own research line and research group in the field described above
- as an Associate Professor, develop a strong research group that contributes to the profile of your research institute, incorporating the research themes described above
- set up and develop your own research line and contribute to the research lines in the research group IREES (Integrated Research on Energy, Environment & Society)
- supervise PhD students
- acquire external funding
- promote the societal relevance of your research
- teach in and contribute to the development of our Energy and Environmental Sciences Master program
- contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research and management.
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for research, 30% for teaching activities and 10% for organizational tasks.
At the stage of Associate Professor 40% of your time is for research, 40% for teaching activities and 20% for organizational tasks.
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, energy & environment and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Energy and Sustainability Research Institute Groningen. This institute does research on two of the focal points of the university of Groningen: Sustainability and Energy. The institute consists of 6 base units that cover a wide range of subjects within these topics, ranging from energy conversion processes to atmospheric sciences, societal studies to wind energy, and nuclear energy to global carbon cycles, which make the institute both nationally and internationally stand out. All these base units contribute to the MSc programme Energy & Environmental Sciences making this one of the broadest-oriented MSc programmes of its kind. The IREES group in particular supports also Science & Society related BSc-education, aiming to make students reflect on the ethics and professional aspects of their current study and future working environment as an academic.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
- a PhD degree in the field of Energy & Sustainability or a related field
- at least two years of postdoctoral experience outside of the Netherlands, preferably in a different country than where you received your PhD (can be compensated for after the appointment via extended research visits abroad)
- a relevant international network
- excellent research qualities, as shown by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals
- a good track record in teaching, appropriate to your career stage
- demonstrable organizational competences
- cross-cultural sensitivity
- good command of spoken and written English.
At Associate Professor level, you should also demonstrate you have:
- independently supervised PhD students
- received substantial research grants from external sources.
And you are:
- a team player with good communication skills
- able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
- able to acquire substantial research grants from external sources
- in possession of or willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
- able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years
- particularly at the Associate Professor level, you have shown to be an inspiring supervisor who stimulates their group members to get the best out of themselves.
We offer you a full-time tenure-track position as Assistant or Associate Professor and:
- a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,974 up to a maximum of € 5,439 gross per month (scale 11 CAO Dutch Universities, depending on your career stage) for a full-time position
- a starting package of € 40k to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
- holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
- a pension scheme
- maternity and parental leave
- the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
- a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
- dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Alternatively, if you would be appointed at Associate Professor level, we will offer you a full-time tenured position as Associate Professor in our faculty’s tenure track system Career Paths in Science and Engineering, under the same conditions as stated above, but with:
- a salary, dependent on qualifications and work experience, from € 5,506 up to a maximum of € 7,362 gross per month (scale 13 or 14 CAO Dutch Universities) for a full-time position
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/
As Assistant Professor you will enter a tenure track that, if followed successfully, will lead to a Full Professorship in approximately 10 years. Note that our career system has recently been updated and one of the most important changes is that Assistant Professors are appointed for six years and apply for tenure between one to three years after the start of their appointment. Assistant Professors and Associate Professors can apply for promotion to respectively Associate Professor and Full Professor at a time of their choosing, by default after having been appointed for at least five years. Please consider Career Paths in Science and Engineering for a complete description of our tenure track system, as well as the criteria for promotion:
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
- a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
- a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications and a list with names of references
- a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes
- a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You may apply for this position until 5 November 11:59pm 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
A first-round of online selection interviews will take place 8th December and an in person interviews 18th December.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/(...)rsity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Prof. dr. K. Hubacek, Chair IREES
Profile report in which the position is described in more detail
More information about the research institute
More information about the employment conditions of the University
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- University of Groningen
- Postal Code
- 9712 CP
- Broerstraat 5
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Assistant Professor Of Archaeobotany (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has established an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative university offering high quality teaching and research. Its 34,000...
Assistant Professor Of Archaeobotany (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
Assistant Professor of Archaeobotany (1.0 FTE) (V23.0733) « Back to the overview Job description Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has established an international reputati...
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Engineering Autonomous Systems (0.8 1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
We have an opening for an Assistant Professor who is interested to start a career that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of Autonomous Systems. The...
Career Track Assistant Professorship In Econometrics (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Career Track Assistant Professorship in Econometrics (1.0 FTE) (V23.0736) « Back to the overview Job description The Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance of the University of Groninge...
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Engineering Autonomous Systems (0.8 1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Engineering Autonomous Systems (0.8-1.0 FTE) (V23.0731) « Back to the overview Job description We have an opening for an Assistant Professor who is interested to s...
Career Track Assistant Professorship In Econometrics (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 7 days ago
The Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance of the University of Groningen is looking for a Career Track Assistant Professor in Econometrics. You conduct independent research and aim to ...