Tenure Track Assistant/Associate/Full Prof. Innovative Computer Architectures
Tenure Track Assistant/Associate/Full Prof. Innovative Computer Architectures
The University of G
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded within the Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence and play a crucial role within the Centre “CogniGron - Groningen Cognitive Systems and Materials”. We anticipate that the position will fit best in the existing research unit Computer Architecture of the Computer Science department, and that it will be instrumental in bridging the computer science expertise with the material science, artificial intelligence and mathematics, already existing in the Faculty of Sciences and Engineering (FSE). Notably, while collaboration is encouraged, too much overlap with existing research activities at the Bernoulli Institute is considered undesirable.
Groningen Cognitive Systems and Materials Center (CogniGron) is a unique multidisciplinary research center, based at the University of Groningen. CogniGron does fundamental research into self-learning materials and systems for cognitive computing – computing that has the ability to learn and to handle complex challenges in a highly efficient way, inspired by how the brain works. This means rethinking the computer as we know it. CogniGron is on a mission: to find a new blueprint for future-proof computing. CogniGron is multidisciplinary by choice and by conviction. The team, of leading experts and next generation talent, unites expertise from physics, materials science, mathematics, computer science and artificial intelligence. In this uncharted territory, they need to work closely together. CogniGron is determined to bridge the gap between materials and theoretical foundations. In doing so, it is not just shaping the future of computing, they are also shaping the future of computer science – integrating our different perspectives into a whole new discipline.
The Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence is one of the leading institutes in the field of Mathematics, Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence. It is a vibrant community with an international outlook, that fosters talent in all its research areas and disciplines, and is active in pure and applied science and (multi) disciplinary research and teaching.
We are looking for a Tenure Track Assistant, Associate or Full Professor, depending on your profile (see The University of Groningen Career Paths in Science), who can strengthen our position in the field of Innovative Computer Architectures. The general profile of the position which aims to develop novel computing architectures; new computer architectures and corresponding compilers, tools and methods, software platforms, etc., so that improvements in performance and energy efficiency by several orders of magnitude become possible. New developments in this field may include brain-inspired computing, hardware-software co-design, large-scale accelerator based computing as well as embedded systems architectures that are unconventional for the computer industry.
As Assistant/Associate/Full Professor you will:
● set up and develop your own research line and research group
● supervise PhD students
● acquire external funding
● promote the societal relevance of your research
● teach in and contribute to the development of the degree programs of the School of Science and Engineering, especially courses with computing science content
● contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research and management
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for research, 30% for teaching activities and 10% for organizational tasks. At the stage of Associate or full Professor 40% of your time is for research, 40% for teaching activities and 20% for organizational tasks.
- max. 38 hours per week
- max. €6181 per month
- Groningen View on Google Maps
University of Groningen
We encourage you to apply if you have:
● a PhD degree in computer science or a related field
● at least two years of postdoctoral experience, preferably in a different country than where you received your PhD (can be compensated for after the appointment via extended research visits abroad)
● a relevant international network
● excellent research qualities, as shown by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
● a good track record in teaching, appropriate to your career stage
● demonstrable organizational competences
● cross-cultural sensitivity
● good command of spoken and written English
And you are:
● a team player with good communication skills
● able to acquire substantial research grants from external sources
● willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
● able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years
Conditions of employment
Fixed-term contract: 84 Months.We offer you a full-time position as Assistant Professor in our faculty’s tenure track system Career Paths in Science with:
- a salary, dependent on qualifications and work experience, ranging from € 3,974 up to a maximum of € 6,181 gross per month (scale 11 or 12 CAO Dutch Universities, in case of assistant professor level) for a full-time position
- a salary, dependent on qualifications and work experience, ranging from € 5,506 up to a maximum of € 7,362 gross per month (scale 13 or 14 CAO Dutch Universities in case of associate professor level) for a full-time position
- a salary, dependent on qualifications and work experience, ranging from € 6,099 up to a maximum of € 8,881 gross per month (scale H2 CAO Dutch Universities, in case of full professor level) for a full-time position
- holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
- a pension scheme
- maternity and parental leave
- the possibility to work part-time (0,9 fte or 0,8 fte)
- a mentor program and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
- dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
As Assistant Professor you will enter a tenure track that, if followed successfully, will lead to a Full Professorship in approximately 10 years. In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as an Associate Professor. After another 4 to 7 years you will be assessed for promotion to the position of Full Professor. Please consider Career Paths in Science for a complete description of our tenure track system as well as the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/fse/organization/vacatures/vacatures/career-paths-in-science-edition-4
Prof. Niels Taatgen
31 50 36 36435
Prof. Beatriz Noheda
31 50 36 34565
Profile report in which the position is described in more detail:
Groningen Cognitive Systems and Materials – CogniGron:
Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics, Computer Science and Artificial Intellige
Working at University of Groningen
At the University of Groningen, which ranks among the top 100 universities in the world, your talent is appreciated. We help you to realize your ambitions.
Apply for this job
Apply for this job
This application process is managed by the employer (University of Groningen). Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.Apply for this job via the employer's website
Thank you for applying
Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.
Tip: save this job as favorite in your AcademicTransfer account. This gives you an immediate overview and makes it easy to find the job later on. No account yet? Create it now and take advantage of other useful functionalities too!
Back to the vacancy
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and a list with names of references
● a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’
● a statement of your teaching goals and experience
● a description of your scientific interest and plans
You can submit your application until 24 May 11:59 pm / before 25 May 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place on 12 or 13 June 2023/19 or 20 June 2023.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-strategy/diversity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Research Technician Bics And Cogni Gron (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 2 days ago
Research technician BICS and CogniGron (1.0 FTE) (V23.0560) « Back to the overview Job description The technician is expected to provide assistance to the research unit (100% of the time), such as...
Research Technician Bics And Cogni Gron (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Organisation Job description The technician is expected to provide assistance to the research unit (100% of the time), such as: organising general aspects within the laboratories of the research g...
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Lab On A Chip For Advanced (Bio)Analytical Chemistry (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
We are looking for an Assistant Professor who can strengthen our position in the field of Lab-on-a-chip (LoC) for advanced (bio)analytical chemistry. The exploitation of micro-nanotechnologies suc...
Tenure Track Assistant Or Associate Professor Energy Systems (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 5 days ago
16 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Physics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applicati...
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Wadden Sea Ecology 0.8 1.0 Fte, University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
We are searching for an Assistant Professor, who can strengthen our position in the field of Ecology, with an emphasis on the Wadden Sea. The new staff member is expected to set up a research prog...
Tenure Track Assistant Professor Lab On A Chip For Advanced (Bio)Analytical Chem, University of Groningen, Netherlands, 26 days ago
26 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Groningen Research Field Physics Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Netherlands Applicati...