Vacancy in the Directorate of Earth Observation Programmes.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale .
ESTEC, Noordwijk, Netherlands
SAR Instrument Development Coordinator for the Copernicus L-band Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) "ROSE-L" mission.
You will report to the ROSE-L Payload Manager for all technical and programmatic matters and will work within the ROSE-L Project Team. You will interface with and receive support from other engineers working on the project, as well as from specialised technical support from the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality (D/TEC).
Under the supervision of the ROSE-L Payload Manager, you will be technically responsible for the definition, development, implementation, verification, calibration and validation of the ROSE-L SAR instrument in accordance with the associated requirements and interfaces, ensuring its timely availability to the spacecraft.
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- monitoring industrial activities relating to the procurement of the SAR instrument and the associated equipment, ensuring suitable planning and progress of work;
- supervising the overall SAR instrument definition process, ensuring that a robust architecture, design and interfaces are established in a consistent and cost-effective manner;
- consolidating and maintaining SAR instrument requirements, ensuring their consistent definition and flow-down to system, subsystem and equipment levels, with support from the engineers in the relevant disciplines and the industrial consortium;
- monitoring and controlling performance evolution at overall SAR instrument level down to lower levels, ensuring that requirements are met at SAR instrument and system levels during all programme phases up to in-orbit commissioning;
- defining a suitable analysis and test programme fulfilling verification requirements and reflecting project needs and constraints;
- monitoring and controlling the correct implementation of the SAR instrument development and AIV process up from equipment and subsystem level, consistent with spacecraft-level verification, and coordinating the Instrument Verification Control Boards;
- supporting Non-Conformance Review Boards for the resolution of problems relating to SAR instrument development, both at instrument and lower unit level, as relevant.
- ensuring the timely development and maintenance of models, Ground Support Equipment (GSE) , simulators, tools and documentation, including the required characterisation databases and key data, necessary for the definition of technical SAR instrument budgets and the evaluation of SAR instrument performance;
- defining the SAR instrument characterisation, calibration and validation approach and supervising the execution of related activities on the ground and in orbit;
- supporting the preparation and execution of the launch campaign, LEOP and in-orbit operations until the end of commissioning;
- working with other Project members and coordinating the technical specialists to ensure timely and consistent support throughout the SAR instrument definition, procurement and verification phases;
- providing regular reporting and support to the ROSE-L Payload Manager on all aspects of SAR instrument design, development, AIV, procurement and scheduling, identifying risks and potential problem areas and proposing mitigation actions where appropriate;
- supporting the Payload Manager regarding general project reporting tasks and other Department-level support activities as required.
Multidisciplinary technical knowledge and experience of area of responsibility, in particular regarding RF technology
Knowledge and experience in the design, development, integration, verification, characterization and testing of space-borne active microwave instruments
Knowledge of industrial costs and schedule aspects
Knowledge and experience of project risk management processes
Knowledge and experience of space system development and PA standards
Experience in managing technical interfaces between subsystems both within ESA project team environment and for the industrial Consortium
A master’s degree in a scientific or engineering discipline is required for this post.
You should also demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and teamworking ability.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework .
For further information please visit: Professionals , What we offer and FAQ
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
Applicants must be eligible to access technology and hardware which is subject to European and US export control regulations.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
At the Agency we value diversity and we welcome people with disabilities. Whenever possible, we seek to accommodate individuals with disabilities by providing the necessary support at the workplace. The Human Resources Department can also provide assistance during the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss this further please contact us email email@example.com .
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention, the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States*. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented Member States *.
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment conducted by an external background screening service.
In principle, recruitment will be within the advertised grade band (A2-A4). However, if the selected candidate has less than four years of relevant professional experience following the completion of the master’s degree, the position may be filled at A1 level.
*Member States, Associate Members or Cooperating States.
Project Manager (M/F/D) For The Interferometric Detection System (Ids) Of Lisa, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Hanover), Hanover, Germany, 26 days ago
Job Offer from November 07, 2023 The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute) is the largest research institute in the world specializing in general relativity a...
Project Manager (M/F/D) | Space Department, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Hanover), Hanover, Germany, 23 days ago
The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute) is the largest research institute in the world specializing in general relativity and beyond. The institute is locate...
Senior Bio Em Instrument Specialist (Tenure Track, 100%) , University of Basel, Switzerland, about 10 hours ago
Senior BioEM-Instrument Specialist (tenure-track, 100%) Start date flexible after March 1st 2024 or as per agreement. How does life emerge from molecules and cells? This is the central question th...
Sterilization/Dispensary Clerk, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 4 hours ago
Sterilization/Dispensary Clerk Dent Med-Dental Instruments - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23008930) Job Summary Operates and maintains sterilization equipment and processes instruments through washe...
Research Engineer (Ionosphere, Sar Imaging), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, Singapore, 9 days ago
29 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE Research Field Engineering Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Singa...
Assistant / Associate / Full Professor, Department Of Control And Instrumentation Engineering, KING FAHD UNIVERSITY OF PETROLEUM & MINERALS, Saudi Arabia, 1 day ago
7 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KING FAHD UNIVERSITY OF PETROLEUM & MINERALS Research Field Computer science Engineering Engineering Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) F...