30 Nov 2023
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
5 Jan 2024 - 22:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Pollution is all around us and may affect the health of humans and the environment. Our research group Environmental Health and Toxicology of the A-LIFE department within the VU investigates these potential harmful effects by using in vitro cell models, and more complex systems such as zebrafish and C. elegans. We are looking for a skilled research technician to support our research within international, multidisciplinary research projects. Your job will be to (further) develop (eco-)toxicological test approaches with zebrafish and C. elegans and to apply biochemical assays, molecular techniques and histopathology work.
- Assist in the design and execution of studies with zebrafish and C. elegans models
- Evaluate new methods and implement assay improvements for (eco-)toxicological research
- Contribute to writing protocols and reports
- Help to run a smooth and well-organized lab
- Support in teaching during practical courses
- Assist in the supervision and guidance of students in the lab
- You have a bachelor degree (HBO in Dutch) or equivalent in laboratory science, specialized in life sciences, (eco-)toxicology or similar
- You have proven experience with handling C. elegans and/or zebrafish, or willing to learn
- You have experience in using a range of microscope techniques and image analysis software
- You have experience with molecular biology techniques, including qPCR, immunohistochemistry, histopathology techniques, and high-content imaging
- You are able to perform toxicity experiments from chemical exposure to data analysis
- You are a high-energy multi-tasker with exquisite attention to detail and good organization skills
- You can manage your experimental time effectively
- You can work independently and in collaboration with others
- You have excellent skills in spoken and written English
- You are enthusiastic to work in a multi-disciplinary team
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel with a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,072 (scale 8) and a maximum of €4,103 (scale 8) dependent on your experience, based on a full-time employment. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system (Education/Research Officer 3) and is vacant for 0.8-1.0 FTE.
The initial employment contract will have a duration of one year. After a successful evaluation permanent employment will be granted.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- possibility to save holiday hours, for sabbatical leave
- child daycare facilities available on campus
Are you interested in this position? Applicants are requested to respond ultimately by January 5th, 2024 via the application button. Please do not forget to upload your curriculum vitae and motivation letter.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Dr. Timo Hamers
Position: Universitair hoofddocent
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: +31 20 598 9529
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Postal Code
- De Boelelaan 1105
Where to apply
De Boelelaan 1105
- Postal Code
Student Assistent Video Production, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam About VU Centre for Teaching & Learning 'Connecting through Education' is the driving force behind the VU-CTL, the centre of expertise for sharing knowledge, ideas and...
Communications Coordinator At The Amsterdam Sustainability Institute, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 18 days ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam About the Amsterdam Sustainability Institute The Amsterdam Sustainability Institute is VU Amsterdam's interdisciplinary research institute that focuses on sustainabili...
Research Data Officer, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 8 hours ago
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam Research Office The Research Office of the Faculty of Social Sciences is the first point of contact for researchers and management for research-related issues such as ...
Educational Executive Tinbergen Institute 0,8 Fte Opens External, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands, about 23 hours ago
Educational Executive Tinbergen Institute 0,8 fte Educational Executive Tinbergen Institute 0,8 fte Published Deadline Location yesterday 17 Mar Rotterdam Are you someone who likes to work in smal...
Zebrafish Project Manager , EPFL, Switzerland, about 9 hours ago
EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than ...
Laboratory Technician / Scientific Collaborator In Protein Biochemistry, VIB, Belgium, about 8 hours ago
The Structural and Molecular Microbiology research group, affiliated with the Vrije Universiteit Brussel and the Flemish Institute for Biotechnology (VIB), is seeking a motivated and detail-orient...