- 0.8 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 2,471 - € 3,336
- Required background
- Research University Degree
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Application deadline
- 09 April 2023
How does a waiter at a restaurant know what we mean when we point to an empty glass, and how did we learn to select that particular gesture? As a research assistant, you will help organise a longitudinal study in pre-school children to help understand human communication and how it develops.
This project builds on the notion that social experiences early in life are crucial for the development of human communication skills. The project uses natural variability in early life social experiences as a tool to understand how different sociocultural environments guide the development of human communicative capacities. We plan to test long-lasting effects of those experiences on the human ability to communicate. The specific goal of the project is to identify which features of children's sociocultural environment influence their ability to coordinate with other people later in development. We are looking for a MSc interested in organising an ambitious real-life longitudinal study involving pre-school children. The study will use wearable audio-recording devices to measure the interactions of 3- to 4-year-old children during their time in day care (e.g. over the course of a week). The project is embedded in the research groups of Prof. Ivan Toni, Prof. Sabine Hunnius, and Dr Marlene Meyer at the Donders Institute, combining expertise in social neurocognition, experimental semiotics, and developmental neurocognition.
- You have an MSc degree in psychology, educational sciences, or (cognitive) neuroscience, with hands-on experience in experimental testing of young children.
- Fluency in written/spoken Dutch is required.
- Given the interdisciplinary of the research setting, you should have a strong collaborative attitude and a proven ability to work in a team.
- You will be responsible for planning and implementing a project quantifying children's interactions in a naturalistic setting. The position also involves supervision of a dedicated student assistant.
- You will take the lead in coordinating the implementation of the research project in collaboration with the PIs.
The Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour is a world-class interfaculty research centre that houses more than 700 researchers devoted to understanding the mechanistic underpinnings of the human mind. Research at the Donders Institute is focused around four themes: 1. Language and communication , 2. Perception, action and control , 3. Plasticity and memory , 4. Neural computation and neurotechnology . Excellent, state-of-the-art research facilities are available for the broad range of neuroscience research that is being conducted at the Donders Institute. The Donders Institute has been assessed by an international evaluation committee as 'excellent' and recognised as a 'very stimulating environment for top researchers, as well as for young talent'. The Donders Institute fosters a collaborative, multidisciplinary, supportive research environment with a diverse international staff. English is the lingua franca at the Institute.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €2,471 and a maximum of €3,336 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 7 ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 18 months.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Prof. Ivan Toni, at firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively, you can contact Prof. Sabine Hunnius, at email@example.com .
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 9 April 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Prof. Ivan Toni. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A Letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline 09 April 2023
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.
Prof. Toni, I. (Ivan)
Job application form
* Mandatory field
Are you an internal candidate at Radboud University?
When are you an internal candidate?
You are an internal candidate if you:
- Work at Radboud University (i.e. have an employment contract with Radboud University).
- Are a former Radboud University employee receiving unemployment (WW/BWNU) benefits paid by Radboud University (which started less than two years ago or resulted from the discontinuation of your job/redundancy).
- Currently work as a student employee at Radboud University through the campus employment office.
- Work as a temporary employee at, or have been seconded to, Radboud University.
One file only.
5 MB limit.
One file only.
6 MB limit.
One file only.
4 MB limit.
One file only.
2 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
Read our data processing policy .
Last modified: 20 March 2023
Share this page
Postdoctoral Researcher: Probabilistic Graphical Models At The Donders Centre For Cognition, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 27 days ago
Postdoctoral Researcher: Probabilistic Graphical Models at the Donders Centre for Cognition Postdoctoral Researcher: Probabilistic Graphical Models at the Donders Centre for Cognition Published De...
Postdoctoral Researcher: Probabilistic Graphical Models At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, 26 days ago
9 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Radboud University Research Field Cultural studies Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 4 Jun 2023...
Postdoc Position In The Abc Transporter Area , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 2 days ago
The Department of Physics, Chemistry and Pharmacy at the University of Southern Denmark invites applications for a position as postdoc in the ABC transporter area. The Department of Physics, Chem...
Ph D Researcher Dc14 Msca Dn Id Isop, Instituto Superior Técnico, Portugal, 27 days ago
5 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Instituto Superior Técnico Department Direção de Recursos Humanos Research Field Engineering » Materials engineering Researcher Profile First Stage ...
Postdoc In Improving Soil Phosphorus Bioavailability , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 11 days ago
A three-year postdoc position within: “Improving phosphorus bioavailability to agricultural crops by recycling phosphorus containing products in combination with microbial rhizosphere P solubiliza...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Modelling Social Dynamics Of Low Carbon Behaviours, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 24 days ago
Postdoctoral researcher in modelling social dynamics of low-carbon behaviours Postdoctoral researcher in modelling social dynamics of low-carbon behaviours Published Deadline Location yesterday 28...