Vacancy in the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale .
ESTEC, Noordwijk, Netherlands
Project Systems Engineer in the Projects Office (TEC-SP), Systems Department (TEC-S), Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality (D/TEC).
You will be assigned as Systems Engineer to an ESA space mission project such as the In-Orbit Servicing mission within the Space Safety Programme (S2P).
S2P aims to ensure European autonomy in accessing and using space in a safe and secure environment. Its primary goal is to address threats to humanity, our planet and our assets in space and on Earth from hazards originating in space, in particular asteroids, space debris and space weather events caused by solar activity.
Reporting to the Head of the Projects Office, your primary responsibilities will include:
• contributing to the preparation of spacecraft and mission procurement by participating in relevant ITTs (invitations to tender) and TEBs (Tender Evaluation Boards);
• applying systems engineering processes during the Project’s Phase AB1 and Phase B2CDE1, monitoring spacecraft and subsystem procurement activities conducted by the industrial consortium and collaborating closely with the Project team. You will also be responsible for monitoring the overall spacecraft schedule and risks;
• supporting and evaluating system design trade-off studies to ensure consistency between requirements, design and system-level needs;
• defining and maintaining the Project system requirements and ensuring their consistent flow-down to system, subsystem and equipment requirements by the industrial consortium. This will involve promoting implementation based on an MBSE (model-based systems engineering) approach;
• monitoring all system and satellite budgets, including performance, throughout the Project life cycle and analysing their compliance with the mission requirements;
• ensuring the adequacy of the systems engineering and verification plans and monitoring the development, verification and qualification activities of the spacecraft system and subsystems by the industrial consortium. This includes analysing the impact of non-conformances and requests for waivers and proposing engineering solutions;
• identifying technological and performance risk areas and proposing appropriate mitigation measures;
• defining, consolidating and verifying the external and internal ground and space interfaces;
• supporting the definition of the spacecraft operations concept and the interface between the spacecraft and the Ground Segment. You will also be involved in the preparation, implementation and validation of mission operations, including E2E validation, LEOP (launch and early orbit phase) and commissioning in coordination with relevant teams;
• defining the Project launcher requirements and supporting the preparation of the launcher Interface Control Document while interfacing with the launch service provider for spacecraft qualification;
• ensuring proper implementation of the life cycle analysis and zero-debris policy as required by the Agency;
• preparing for and participating in Project-related reviews;
• collaborating closely with Project team members, engineers in the various disciplines and other stakeholders to coordinate various Project engineering domains and to support the systems engineering function. Regular reporting to the Project line manager is expected;
• ensuring the capture and transfer of knowledge and lessons learned across the matrix organisation.
Knowledge of space systems architectures
Knowledge of close-proximity operations and IOS missions
Experience in satellite verification and validation, as well as associated satellite tests
Experience in commissioning and operational preparation
Experience in managing technical interfaces
Familiarity with ESA procurement processes and contract management
Experience with space engineering standards and their implementation
A master's degree in engineering or physics is required.
• Experience in Phase A or Phase C/D
• Solid knowledge of space systems engineering
• Multidisciplinary knowledge in your area of responsibility, particularly in systems engineering, complemented by a solid understanding of critical disciplines and technologies specific to the Project
• Knowledge of ESA space systems procurement, development and verification processes
• Experience in procurement and monitoring of industrial activities
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework .
For further information please visit: Professionals ,What we offer and FAQ
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
At the Agency we value diversity and we welcome people with disabilities. Whenever possible, we seek to accommodate individuals with disabilities by providing the necessary support at the workplace. The Human Resources Department can also provide assistance during the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss this further please contact us email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention, the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States*. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented Member States *.
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment conducted by an external background screening service.
In principle, recruitment will be within the advertised grade band (A2-A4). However, if the selected candidate has less than four years of relevant professional experience following the completion of the master’s degree, the position may be filled at A1 level.
*Member States, Associate Members or Cooperating States.
Project Manager (M/F/D) For The Interferometric Detection System (Ids) Of Lisa, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Hanover), Hanover, Germany, 19 days ago
Job Offer from November 07, 2023 The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute) is the largest research institute in the world specializing in general relativity a...
Project Manager (M/F/D) | Space Department, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Hanover), Hanover, Germany, 15 days ago
The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute) is the largest research institute in the world specializing in general relativity and beyond. The institute is locate...
Ph D In Spacecraft Security, IMDEA Software Institute, Spain, 1 day ago
28 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company IMDEA Software Institute Research Field Computer science Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Spain Application Deadline 8 Dec 20...
One (1) Position Of Eo Business Market Development Officer, ERATOSTHENES CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE, Cyprus, 1 day ago
28 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company ERATOSTHENES CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE Research Field Geosciences » Other Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Cyprus Application Dead...
Senior Analog Asic Design Engineer, IMEC, Belgium, about 1 month ago
30 Oct 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company IMEC Research Field Engineering » Electronic engineering Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Recognised Researcher (R2) Established Rese...
Scientific Software Engineer For Arrakihs, CEFCA, Spain, 9 days ago
21 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company CEFCA Department Department of Processing and Data Archiving Research Field Computer science » Programming Computer science » Database management A...