Are you fan of super-resolution microscopy? Are you interested in imaging, (computer-aided) protein engineering, ice crystal growth, and biomineralization? Are you passionate about science and keen to interact with others?
Chemical Engineering and Chemistry
Crystallization of water into ice is lethal to most organisms and detrimental to many soft materials. Freeze-avoidant fish living in polar seas evolved to tackle this problem with an unusual coping strategy. They produce ‘antifreeze’ proteins that block the growth of embryonic ice crystals within a narrow temperature range known as the ‘thermal hysteresis gap’ enabling survival under extreme conditions. In this project you will use super-resolution microscopy tools to reveal ice-binding at the single molecule level and better understand how novel biosynthetic protein-polymers inhibit ice recrystallization and control ice nucleation. You will work in close collaboration with other group members (ERC CoG grant PROTECT, Freezing Hearts), who design and prepare bio-inspired macromolecular antifreezes and use super-resolution imaging to measure their impact on cardiomyocyte preservation. Our aim is to unravel how biosynthetic ice-binders work and to better understand the functionality of these biomimetic antifreezes to customize these for biomedical applications.
- PhD in biophysics. Experience with quantitative microscopy, (computer-aided) protein engineering, and protein biophysics; knowledge of crystallization and microfluidics is preferred.
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, demonstrated by an outstanding PhD thesis and publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong motivation to do excellent, original, fundamental research.
- Excellent mastering of the English language, good communication and leadership skills. Note that there is no Dutch language requirement.
- Independent and goal-oriented scientist. Team player and able to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary, and international context.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for 1+2 years.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for research, valorization and professional development
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
For further information on this vacancy please contact
Prof. Dr. Ir. Ilja Voets, i.voets[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 5303
For information about terms of employment, please click here or contact Leo van Houten, l.v.houten[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 8269
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- A letter of recommendation from one or more of your references.
- List of five self-selected ‘best publications’.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary, please combine files.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
Postdoc In Protein Biochemistry, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 21 hours ago
Department of Food Science, Section of Food Analytics and Biotechnology, invites applicants for a postdoc in protein biochemistry with the aim to purify the rapeseed proteins cruciferin and napin,...
Postdoctoral Researcher ( Ref Postdoc 2021 27 Mgs), Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia ICIQ, Spain, 18 days ago
Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Researcher in Chemical Biology/Organic Chemistry to work in protein bioconjugation under the supervision of Professor Marcos García Suero for a period o...
Postdoctoral Position In Statistical Optimal Transport (F/M/D) (Cluster Of Excellence „Multiscale Bioimaging: From Molecular Machines To Networks Of Excitable Cells) (Id 100930), Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, about 14 hours ago
Einrichtung: Cluster of Excellence „Multiscale Bioimaging: From Molecular Machines to Networks of Excitable Cells (ID 100930) Ansprechpartner: Anna Friedrich / Axel Munk Besetzungsdatum: 01.01.202...
Post Doctoral Researcher In Protein Protein Interactions Studies By Mass Spectrometry, University of Liège, Belgium, 6 days ago
The successful applicant must have a PhD degree with interest and / or experience in analytical chemistry, pharmaceutical analysis and molecular biology. Knowledge in advanced intact protein analy...
Post Doctoral Research Fellowship In Molecular And Structural Virology, Lund University (LU), Sweden, 11 days ago
Overview Applications Deadline: October 17, 2021 Course Level: Postdoctoral fellowship Study Subject: Disentangling and visualising the key epitopes for neutralising antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 ...
University Assistant (Post Doc), Faculty of Chemistry, Austria, 10 days ago
The Institute of Biological Chemistry at the Department of Chemistry, University of Vienna is currently seeking a postdoctoral fellow with excellent expertise in the area of peptide and/or protein...