Do you want to invent the future solutions for sustainable transportation? Are you fascinated by electrochemistry and materials science? Do you want to work in a multidisciplinary team? Are you interested in fuel cells and electrochemical systems?
Chemical Engineering and Chemistry
Decarbonizing our energy economy is one of the greatest challenges of our generation. To this goal, the transportation sector needs to be fully transformed which is particularly challenging for heavy duty and long-range applications. Low temperature fuel cells are particularly well suited given their efficiency, high power, and ability to drive long distances with a fast tank refill. However, realizing these new applications necessitates radical innovations in the fundamental science of materials and devices to improve the power density and durability of fuel cells.
In this project you will design and synthesize new porous materials for low temperature fuel cells. You will employ electrochemical techniques, coatings methods, and porous material synthesis to fabricate new electrode concepts with improved performance and durability. You will deploy spectroscopic, microscopic, and in-operando electrochemical diagnostics to establish structure/composition – performance relationships. You will collaborate with other group members and several industrial and academic partners to bridge scales between fundamental materials science all the way to stack implementation. The main applications of your research will be: (1) heavy duty fuel cell trucks and (2) reversible fuel cells for space applications.
- PhD in Electrochemistry, Electrochemical Engineering, Materials Science or a related discipline.
- Expertise in polymer electrolyte fuel cells, water electrolyzers or related technologies (e.g. redox flow batteries, CO2 electrolyzers) is desired.
- We are looking for a talented, motivated, and enthusiastic researcher who is driven by fundamental and applied research in electrochemical energy technologies and wants to make a positive impact in our team and society.
- Excellent mastering of the English language.
- Leadership, supervision skills, and strong communication skills.
- We prefer candidates with a good team spirit, who like to work in an internationally oriented, social environment.
An interview, a scientific presentation and a writing assignment are part of the selection procedure.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a highly motivated team at a dynamic and ambitious University. You will be part of a highly profiled multidisciplinary collaboration where expertise of a variety of disciplines comes together and you will have the opportunity to present your work in international conferences. The TU/e is located in one of the smartest regions of the world and part of the European technology hotspot ‘Brainport Eindhoven’; well-known because of many high-tech industries and start-ups. A place to be for talented scientists!
- A full-time employment for two years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact
dr. Antoni Forner-Cuenca, a.forner.cuenca[at]tue.nl, phone: +31 40 247 6258.
Further information about the research lab on electrochemical porous materials and interfaces, see www.fornercuencaresearch.com . More information about the chair on Membrane Materials and Processes can be found at www.tue.nl/mmp and more information about Eindhoven University of Technology and the department of Chemical Engineering & Chemistry is available at www.tue.nl .
For information about terms of employment, click here or contact ms. P.J. van de Weijer (Sandra),
Please visit www.tue.nl/jobs to find out more about working at TU/e!
Candidates possessing both suitable experience and qualifications are invited to apply. Please send your application via the apply-now button and upload the following documents:
- a cover letter briefly describing your qualifications and motivation for this position.
- a curriculum vitae including a publication list and the contact details of three references.
- a list of your self-selected top 3 publications.
- a list of BSc and MSc courses and grades.
Review of applications will start as soon as applications are received and will continue until the position has been filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.
Membrane Materials and Processes at Eindhoven University of Technology
The chair Membrane Materials and Processes (www.tue.nl/mmp ) at the department of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry at Eindhoven University of Technology (www.tue.nl ) focuses on the design and development of polymer membranes and porous electrodes to control mass transport in sustainable processes. The chair combines and integrates materials chemistry, electrochemical engineering, and process technology. Application areas are water and energy, with a strong focus on the recovery and reuse of resources, the valorization of waste streams and energy efficiency. ‘Closing cycles’ and ‘value from waste’ are leading themes in the research program. Next to fundamental academic research, application-oriented research in close collaboration with the industry is stimulated.
Electrochemical porous materials and interfaces
The research on electrochemical porous materials and interfaces is led by dr. Forner-Cuenca. We aspire to facilitate the deployment of transformative energy technologies in the real world. To do so, we employ fundamental principles at the convergence of materials science, electrochemical engineering, and surface science to synthesize, characterize, simulate, and implement novel materials into next-generation electrochemical devices (e.g., redox flow batteries, fuel cells, electrolyzers). We are especially interested in understanding complex transport through porous media, synthesizing functional polymer coatings, and developing advances operando techniques.
The TU/e offers academic education that is driven by fundamental and applied research. We combine scientific curiosity with a hands-on mentality. Our educational philosophy is based on personal attention and room for individual ambitions and talents. Our research meets the highest international standards of quality. We push the limits of science, which puts us at the forefront of rapidly emerging areas of research.
Postdoc In Fuel Cell Systems (2021 224 03780), Aalborg University, Denmark, about 16 hours ago
At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Department of AAU Energy a position as Postdoc in Fuel Cell Systems is open for appointment from 1st December 2021 or soon thereafter. The position is av...
Postdoctoral Fellow (Index No. 5422 02), Paul Scherrer Institut Villigen, Switzerland, 5 days ago
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, e...
Postdoctoral Researcher – Subject Specific Spine Modelling, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 10 days ago
Information about the Biomedical Engineering department can be found at: https://www.tue.nl/en/university/departments/biomedical-engineering/ Information about the Orthopaedic Biomechanics group c...
Postdoc Position Plasma Aided Nitrogen Fixation, DIFFER, Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
Show Details Summary: One year postdoc position (with the perspective to be extended) is available in the group of Catalytic and Electrochemical Processes for Energy Applications in the area of pl...
Https://Jobs.Tue.Nl/En/Vacancy/Postdoctoral Researcher Mammalian Synthetic Biology 889069.Html, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 10 days ago
Biomedical Engineering The Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) offers a research driven BME Bachelor program and Masters in Biomedical Engineering and Medical Engineering in its Graduate Pr...
Postdoctoral Scholars In Chemistry Or Materials Science, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, about 15 hours ago
The Yavuz Lab (http://onelab.kaust.edu.sa ) at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia, is accepting applications for multiple open positions at the ranks of postd...