Would you like to accelerate materials development? Are you interested in large-scale energy storage technologies? Would you like to connect energy technologies, multiscale modeling and machine learning? Do you want to work in a multidisciplinary team?
Chemical Engineering and Chemistry
Decarbonization of our energy economy is paramount to combat climate change. Large scale energy storage must be deployed at a global scale to enable widespread integration of renewable energy technologies (e.g., solar and wind power) and secure grid stability. Redox flow batteries are a class of rechargeable electrochemical devices that are suited for storing megawatt-hours of electrical energy for multiple hours. However, current flow batteries are hampered by technical and economic challenges which motivates the exploration of new chemistries and reactor formats to enable transformative improvements. Specifically, engineering the electrode microstructure and surface properties is a powerful approach to enhance the performance, cost, and durability of the system. However, to date there is limited knowledge on how to deterministically design porous electrodes which results in a reduced choice of electrode materials, mostly limited to fibrous based substrates which fundamentally limit the performance of redox flow batteries. Thus, there is an urgent need to develop precisely engineered electrode materials using versatile and scalable manufacturing techniques to unlock new electrochemical systems.
FAIR-RFB (Engineered Porous Electrodes to Unlock Ultra-low Cost Fe-air Redox Flow Batteries) is an ambitious research project funded by the European Research Council (ERC Starting Grant). The main aim is to develop a low cost and long-duration energy storage system and we will focus on the fundamental science of porous electrodes to realize this goal. The postdoctoral researcher will develop new computational frameworks to accelerate porous electrode design by bridging concepts from machine learning, topology optimization, electrochemical multiscale modeling, and polymer physics. Our ultimate objective is to answer the following question: How does an “optimal” electrode microstructure look like and what is the recipe to make it?
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Computational Science, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or a related discipline.
- Expertise in modeling electrochemical systems, machine learning, topology optimization, and porous materials is highly desired.
- We are looking for a talented, motivated, and enthusiastic researcher who is driven by fundamental and applied research in electrochemical energy technologies and wants to make a positive impact in our team and society.
- Excellent mastering of the English language.
- Leadership, supervision skills, and strong communication skills.
- We prefer candidates with a good team spirit, who like to work in an internationally oriented, social environment.
An interview and a scientific presentation are part of the selection procedure.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a highly motivated team at a dynamic and ambitious University. You will be part of a highly profiled multidisciplinary collaboration where expertise of a variety of disciplines comes together and a strong international network of collaborators in academia and industry. Eindhoven University of Technology is located in one of the smartest regions of the world and is part of the European technology hotspot ‘Brainport Eindhoven’, well-known because of many high-tech industries and start-ups. A place to be for talented scientists!
- A full-time employment for two years, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, excellent on-campus children day care, and sports facilities.
Information and application
The postdoctoral research will work in the Electrochemical Materials and Systems Laboratory, which is part of the Membrane Materials and Processes chair.
Electrochemical Materials and Systems Laboratory
The Electrochemical Materials and Systems (EMS) Laboratory is led by dr. Forner-Cuenca (www.fornercuencaresearch.com ). We aim to accelerate the deployment of transformative energy technologies in the real world. To do so, we employ fundamental principles at the convergence of materials science, electrochemical engineering, and surface science to synthesize, characterize, simulate, and implement novel materials into next-generation electrochemical devices. Areas of application include large-scale energy storage with flow batteries, energy conversion through hydrogen fuel cells and electrolyzers, and decarbonization of the chemical industry through efficient separations.
Membrane Materials and Processes at Eindhoven University of Technology
The chair Membrane Materials and Processes (www.tue.nl/mmp ) at the department of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry at Eindhoven University of Technology (www.tue.nl ) focuses on the design and development of polymer membranes and porous electrodes to control mass transport in sustainable processes. The chair combines and integrates materials chemistry, electrochemical engineering, and process technology. Application areas are water and energy, with a strong focus on the recovery and reuse of resources, the valorization of waste streams and energy efficiency. ‘Closing cycles’ and ‘value from waste’ are leading themes in the research program. Next to fundamental academic research, application-oriented research in close collaboration with the industry is stimulated.
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
The TU/e offers academic education that is driven by fundamental and applied research. We combine scientific curiosity with a hands-on mentality. Our educational philosophy is based on personal attention and room for individual ambitions and talents. Our research meets the highest international standards of quality. We push the limits of science, which puts us at the forefront of rapidly emerging areas of research.
Candidates possessing both suitable experience and qualifications are invited to apply. For information about this position, please contact dr. Antoni Forner-Cuenca (e-mail: a.forner.cuenca[at]tue.nl).
For information concerning employment conditions, click here or contact ms. P.J. van de Weijer (Sandra), HR-advisor, p.j.v.d.weijer[at]tue.nl.
Please send your application via the apply-now button and upload the following documents:
- A cover letter briefly describing your qualifications and motivation for this position.
- A curriculum vitae including a publication list and the contact details of three references.
- A list of your self-selected top 3 publications.
- A list of BSc and MSc courses and grades.
Review of applications will start as soon as applications are received and will continue until the position has been filled. You can upload a maximum of 5 documents of up to 2MB each.
Research Fellow, Membranes, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, about 7 hours ago
Job Description Assistant Prof Zhang Sui is leading a membrane research group in NUS that engineers membrane transport for water, environment, energy and sustainability ( https://blog.nus.edu.sg/s...
Postdoctoral Researcher Power To Molecules, IMEC, Belgium, 9 days ago
Global warming, caused in large part by CO2 emissions, has become a prime societal concern and growing popular awareness has resulted in calls for policy measures. While behavioral change is impor...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Mathematical Modeling Of Electrochemical System, NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU, United Kingdom, 19 days ago
About the position We have a vacancy for a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering. The postdoctoral fellowship position is a temporary position where the main g...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Mathematical Modeling Of Electrochemical Systems, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 18 days ago
This is NTNU NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim. A...
Post Doctoral Fellow, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Arab Emirates, 6 days ago
About Khalifa University Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to...
Two Postdoctoral Positions: Protein Based Biodegradable Plastics..., ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 8 days ago
Two postdoctoral positions: Protein-based biodegradable plastics & CO2 Capture from porous protein materials Two postdoc positions of three years each in the field of biopolymer processing and CO2...