Irène Curie Fellowship
Chemical Engineering and Chemistry
Ice-binding proteins (IBPs) offer protection against freezing to sustain life at subzero temperatures in ice-laden environments. How IBPs work exactly is not yet known, but it is clear that their activity is closely related to the way in which IBPs interact with ice. Recently, we adopted sub-zero nanoscopy to study for the first time the interfacial dynamics of ice-bound IBPs at the single molecule level (see preprint for more information). These pioneering experiments offer unprecedented insight in the structure-activity relations of IBPs. In this project you will use subzero nanoscopy to study the interaction with ice of biological IBPs and (de novo) designed ice-binders at the single molecule level aiming to better understand how biological and (bio)synthetic antifreezes block ice growth, shape ice crystals, inhibit ice recrystallization and control ice nucleation. You will work in close collaboration with other group members, who design and prepare biological and (bio)synthetic IBPs and explore their application potential in cardiomyocyte preservation. Our aim is to unravel how biological and engineered ice-binders function and to customize these cryoprotectants for biomedical and other applications.
- PhD in biophysics, Molecular (Life) Sciences, Biophysical Chemistry, Bionanoscience or related area.
- Strong qualifications or experience with quantitative nanoscopy, single molecule tracking, quantitative data analysis.
- Passionate about protein biophysics and/or soft matter science, microscopy.
- Experience with single protein biophysics; knowledge of crystallization and microfluidics, (computer-aided) protein engineering, and/or cryobiology is preferred.
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, demonstrated by an outstanding PhD thesis and publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong motivation to do excellent, original, fundamental research.
- Excellent mastering of the English language, good communication and leadership skills. Note that there is no Dutch language requirement.
- Independent and goal-oriented scientist. Team player and able to work in a dynamic, interdisciplinary, and international context.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for 1, with the possibility to extend the contract with 2 additional years.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes).
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for research, valorization and professional development.
- A TU/e Postdoc Association that helps you to build a stronger and broader academic and personal network, and offers tailored support, training and workshops.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and a compensation for moving expenses.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Information and application
For further information on this vacancy please contact Prof. Dr. Ir. Ilja Voets, i.voets[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 5303.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment.
You can also contact Leo van Houten, l.v.houten[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 8269.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the 'apply now'-button on this page.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- A letter of recommendation from one or more of your references.
- List of five self-selected ‘best publications’ with motivation for their selection.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
Postdoctoral Fellow In Numerical Ice Sheet Modelling, Stockholm University, Sweden, 1 day ago
Ref. No. SU FV-0394-23 at the Department of Geological Sciences . Closing date: 26 February 2023. Stockholm University is a leading European university in one of the world’s most dynamic capitals....
Postdoc Position In New Single Molecule Proteomics Methods , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 2 days ago
Department of Chemistry Postdoc Position in New Single-Molecule Proteomics Methods 90 % The Laboratory of Chemical and Biological Probes (Prof. Rivera-Fuentes) is looking for a postdoctoral researc...
Postdoc In Super Resolution Imaging Of Membrane Receptors Biomarkers, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 1 day ago
Postdoc In super-resolution imaging of membrane receptors biomarkers Postdoc In super-resolution imaging of membrane receptors biomarkers Published Deadline Location yesterday 5 Mar Eindhoven Ar...
Postdoc In Ai For Protein Structure Based Drug Discovery, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 24 days ago
Postdoc In AI for protein structure-based drug discovery Postdoc In AI for protein structure-based drug discovery Published Deadline Location yesterday 28 Feb Eindhoven Job description Proteins pl...
Postdoc Position In Computational Astrochemistry And Machine Learning, Aarhus University (AU), Denmark, 10 days ago
Are you interested in astrochemistry, computational methods and machine learning? In the respective groups of Assoc. Prof. Mie Andersen and Prof. Bjørk Hammer at Department of Physics and Astronom...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Arctic Ocean Dynamics, Stockholm University, Sweden, 1 day ago
Ref. No. SU FV-0122-23 at the Department of Meteorology . Closing date: 14 February 2023. At the Department of Meteorology (MISU) at Stockholm University we conduct research and education in an in...