Are you a highly motivated physicist interested in a postdoctoral research position at the intersection between nanophotonics and 2D material science? The 2D Nanophotonics group within the Institute of Physics has an open position for the project “Excitonic 2D metasurfaces for active multifunctional flat optics”. The aim is to employ exciton resonances in monolayer 2D semiconductors to actively tune the optical response of metasurfaces.
Optical metasurfaces offer ultra-flat and compact alternatives to conventional bulky optical elements like mirrors, lenses, and prisms. By accurate engineering of the resonant light-matter interaction of arrays of nanostructures, light can be scattered in a controlled fashion to perform an optical function. While such optical metasurfaces are nowadays highly efficient and well established, their optical function is typically static.
In this (3 year-) project you will study the strong light-matter interactions of stable excitons in monolayer 2D semiconductor material and couple these materials to resonant metasurfaces. Using their combination, you will investigate the unique properties of these 2D quantum materials and use them to develop multifunctional and atomically thin optical elements with an electrically tunable optical function.
You will be joining an exciting team of researchers with a strong emphasis on collaboration. We expect you to be an active member of the research group, and a driving force in this project.
What are you going to do?
You will perform fundamental research on the understanding and use of monolayer 2D van der Waals materials in atomically thin optical metasurfaces.
- fabricate optical metasurfaces and nanoscale devices in the cleanroom of the AMOLF NanoLab Amsterdam (https://amolf.nl/nanolab );
- design and perform high-sensitivity optical and electronic experiments at cryogenic temperatures;
- develop theory and computer simulations to support the experiments;
- present your results in international workshops and conferences;
- collaborate with other members of the research group, other groups within the Quantum Materials cluster, and (international) collaborators;
- take part in the teaching efforts of the group, including supervision of bachelor and master students.
What do we require?
- a PhD degree in physics;
- a strong background in experimental nanophotonics and/or 2D material (device) physics;
- excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
able to work both independently and collaboratively.
A temporary contract for 2 years (with a possible extension of 1 year based on performance). The gross monthly salary, based on 38 hours per week and dependent on relevant experience, ranges between € 2,960 to € 4,670 (scale 10). This does not include 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% year-end allowance. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Universities of the Netherlands is applicable.
Besides the salary and a vibrant and challenging environment at Science Park we offer you multiple fringe benefits:
- 232 holiday hours per year (based on fulltime) and extra holidays between Christmas and 1 January;
- multiple courses to follow from our Teaching and Learning Centre;
- a complete educational program for PhD students;
- multiple courses on topics such as leadership for academic staff;
- multiple courses on topics such as time management, handling stress and an online learning platform with 100+ different courses;
- 7 weeks birth leave (partner leave) with 100% salary;
- partly paid parental leave;
- the possibility to set up a workplace at home;
- a pension at ABP for which UvA pays two third part of the contribution;
- the possibility to follow courses to learn Dutch;
- help with housing for a studio or small apartment when you’re moving from abroad.
Are you curious to read more about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits, take a look here .
This postdoc project will be carried out in the 2D Nanophotonics lab headed by Dr. Jorik van de Groep within theVan der Waals-Zeeman Institute (WZI) , the experimental division of the Institute of Physics of the University of Amsterdam. Our laboratory focusses on photonic metasurfaces with 2D materials and benefits from an exceptional scientific environment in hard condensed matter, nanophotonics, and materials science. The Institute of Physics is part of the Faculty of Science.
The Faculty of Science has a student body of around 7,000, as well as 1,600 members of staff working in education, research or support services. Researchers and students at the Faculty of Science are fascinated by every aspect of how the world works, be it elementary particles, the birth of the universe or the functioning of the brain.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our organisation? Please contact: Jorik van de Groep, Assistant Professor , tel. + 31 (0)20 525 5643 and email email@example.com
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application. You can apply online via the button below. We accept applications until and including 07 November 2023. The starting date is open for discussion, but is expected to be at the latest June 2024 (earlier dates are preferred). You can apply online by using the link below.
Applications should include the following information (all files besides your cv should be submitted in one single pdf file ):
- a detailed curriculum vitae;
- a motivation letter (max 1 page) that explains why you choose to apply for this position, including a statement of your research experience and interests;
- list of scientific publications;
- the name and email address of at least two references, who will be asked for their recommendation letters when you are shortlisted.
Applications without the motivation letter will not be taken into consideration. However, with this motivation letter your application will receive our full attention.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
No agencies please
Postdoc Position In Optical Metasurfaces: Science And Applications, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, 1 day ago
State-of-the-art flat optics components based on multifunctional metasurfaces are looking to replace traditional optical components in many applications. Join a team with decades of experience in ...
Post Doctoral Associate In The Division Of Engineering Electrical Engineering, Dr. Qurrat Ul Ain, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
Description The Division of Engineering at New York University Abu Dhabi seeks to recruit two motivated Post-Doctoral Associates to work under the supervision of Prof. Qurrat-Ul-Ain Nadeem on the ...
Post Doc Position Available At The Integrated Optical Systems Group, University of Twente, Netherlands, about 7 hours ago
Vacancies post-doc position available at the Integrated Optical Systems group Key takeaways Several post-doc positions are available at the Integrated Optical Systems group of the University of Tw...
Post Doctoral Position In Quantum Electrodynamics And Strong Light Matter Interactions With Two Dimensional Materials, Institute of Photonic Sciences, Luxembourg, 1 day ago
ICFO is offering a postdoctoral position to a well-qualified, highly motivated and dynamic young scientist who wishes to enhance his/her scientific career in a friendly and stimulating environment...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Nanophotonics, Instituto de ciencia de materiales de barcelona, Spain, 3 days ago
4 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Instituto de ciencia de materiales de barcelona Department Nanostructured optoelectronic materials Research Field Physics » Optics Researcher Profil...
Post Doctoral Position In Quantum Electrodynamics And Strong Light Matter Interactions With Two Dimensional Materials, ICFO - The Institute of Photonic Sciences, Spain, 2 days ago
5 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company ICFO - The Institute of Photonic Sciences Research Field Physics Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Established Researcher (R3) Country S...