- Employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE
- Maximum gross monthly salary: € 4,402
- Faculty of Science
- Required background: PhD
- Duration of the contract: 3 years
- Application deadline: 15 March 2021
We are looking for
A postdoctoral researcher to work on a sustainable food system project. You will focus on the impact of food production systems on biodiversity and investigate to what extent food production systems profit from the services provided by natural ecosystems. You will gather information on these relationships from the literature, as well as from actual experiments and measurements in ongoing initiatives such as the Deltaplan Living Labs. You will work closely together with another postdoctoral researcher (based at Leiden University) focussing on the effects of different production systems on carbon and nutrient balances and soil and water quality. You will summarise your results in the context of food systems at large, together with the broader group of researchers and postdocs that interact across work packages. Questions to be addressed include: What are the net effects on biodiversity of land-sparing versus land-sharing scenarios? What measurable services can biodiversity provide in nature-inclusive agriculture? What effects does a more circular production system have on biodiversity? The knowledge and insights you acquire will contribute to a critical analysis of current food systems, ways of transformation, and the scenarios of future food systems that are truly sustainable.
Based at Radboud University, you will frequently interact with researchers from Utrecht University and Wageningen University and Research, who will act as co-supervisors of your project. You will deliver your results in several interdisciplinary work packages, requiring frequent interaction in workshops, writing sessions and other meetings.
- PhD in ecology, on a relevant topic in the field of biodiversity and ecosystem services.
- Proven interest in biodiversity in rural areas and the driving forces responsible for decline and recovery.
- Experience with empirical research methods by which the vitality of ecosystems can be assessed.
- Knowledge of different species groups.
- Proven affinity with inter- and transdisciplinary research.
- Team player with strong social skills and the ability to communicate effectively with different types of research partners.
- Ability to work in groups as well as independently.
- You are driven by societal impact.
- Experience with publishing in academic peer-reviewed journals as well communication in popular media.
- You are fluent in Written and spoken English and have at least a basic knowledge of the Dutch language.
- Willingness to improve your Dutch language skills if necessary.
Current production and consumption of food have come at alarming environmental and health costs (e.g. due to nitrogen crisis, unhealthy diets). An increasingly accepted notion is that adjustments of the current food system will be inadequate to change this situation. The three-year NWO-NWA project entitled 'Transition towards a Sustainable Food System' investigates the possibilities of a more radical change. A coalition of 30 scientists will explore the characteristics of sustainable food systems and pathways to accelerate the transition to a healthy and sustainable food system in the Netherlands. Together with other researchers and stakeholders, eight postdoctoral researchers will, in a highly interdisciplinary setting, carry out the research organised in six work packages.
The Faculty of Science at Radboud University is a student-oriented faculty with a strong research base. The Faculty aims to be an academic community with international prominence and engages students actively in that community. Through high-quality teaching, the Faculty of Science lecturers are dedicated to challenging students to become critical academics and responsible decision-makers, willing and able to take up influential positions in our increasingly international society.
The Plant Ecology group of the Institute for Water and Wetland Research increasingly focuses on the mechanisms by which biodiversity is maintained, the existing threats to biodiversity and strategies for sustainable restoration. Prof. de Kroon, who heads the group, initiated an interdisciplinary research consortium called Healthy Landscape , in which researchers from five different faculties at Radboud University interact on interdisciplinary questions related to a prosperous and attractive landscape for nature, farmers and the general public. Radboud University also coordinates the recently NWO-NWA funded Living Labs project in which transdisciplinary research towards the preconditions and tools for a sustainable recovery of biodiversity in rural environments is carried out in three different regions in the Netherlands. All of this work is carried out in close collaboration with research partners (such as Natuurplaza on campus) and a great variety of stakeholders.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 22,000 students and 5,000 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.
- A maximum gross monthly salary of € 4,402 based on a 38-hour working week (salary scale 10 ).
- The exact salary depends on the candidate's qualifications and amount of relevant professional experience.
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: 3 years.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Have a look at our excellent employment conditions . They include a good work-life balance (among other things because of the excellent leave arrangements), opportunities for development and a great pension scheme.
Would you like more information?
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Hans de Kroon, Professor
Please address your application to Hans de Kroon and submit it, using the application button, no later than 15 March 2021, 23:59 Amsterdam Time Zone.
Your application should include the following attachments:
- A Letter of motivation.
- Your CV.
- The postal or email addresses of two or three referees.
We drafted this vacancy to find and hire our new colleague ourselves. Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from responding.
Postdoc In Economic Valuation Of Biodiversity Non Use Values , University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 2 days ago
The Department of Food and Resource Economics at University of Copenhagen is looking for a highly motivated researcher to work on an interdisciplinary research project at the intersection between ...
Postdoc 'Postgraduate Education On Antimicrobial Stewardship In Low And Middle Income Countries (Lmic)', Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
Radboudumc Radboud Centre for Infectious Diseases has a great interest in the development of sustainable postgraduate education in Antimicrobial stewardship. As an example the Radboud Internationa...
Postdoc Position 'Heritages Of Hunger: Famine Legacies In Ukraine And Russia', Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands, 3 days ago
A postdoctoral researcher in the field of history or memory studies to investigate the politicisation of famine legacies in Ukraine and Russia. You will work as part of a team on the NWO-funded NW...
Postdoctoral Fellow With A Specialization In Rural Transformations, Food Production And Pandemics (..., University of Oslo, Norway, 6 days ago
The “Rural Transformations” research group focuses on land and land resources that are at the heart of contemporary conflicts over livelihoods and environments, particularly as related to food pro...
Research Team Leaders, Vtt Food Research (# Of Pos: 2), VTT, Finland, 21 days ago
Do you want to join us in creating scientific and technological excellence for the benefit and competitiveness of companies and the society? VTT is one of the leading research organizations in Eur...
Research Assistant Or Research Fellow In Soil Ecology, Cranfield University, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
School of Water, Energy and Environment Environment and Agrifood Research Assistant or Research Fellow in Soil Ecology Fixed Term Contract for 36 months Flexible working will be actively considere...