- 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 3,226 - € 5,090
- Required background
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Science
- Application deadline
- 01 October 2023
Are you interested in discrete mathematics with connections to theoretical computer science? Do you enjoy proving rigorous mathematical results and do you also like programming? This postdoctoral research position offers both!
The project aims to advance fundamental knowledge of finite automata. Your research will focus on two themes. The first theme is synchronisation, related to Cerny's conjecture. Which word length is needed to synchronise an automaton when the input has (random) errors? The second theme is complexity of finite-state transducers. The goal here is to efficiently generate a given infinite morphic sequence. The project has applications to number theory and aperiodic tiling.
You will contribute to the research of the department in collaboration with your colleagues. There is no teaching duties associated with this position. However, if you want to gain teaching experience, you can take on a small teaching task or even obtain a teaching qualification.
- You hold PhD degree in Mathematics (or in Theoretical Computer Science).
- You have a good track record of scientific publications commensurate with your career stage.
- You have experience in fundamental mathematical research.
- You have or want to gain experience conducting computational experiments (e.g. searching for counterexamples).
- You are a good team player but also able to work independently.
- You are motivated, enthusiastic, proactive and willing to learn.
- You have good oral communication and scientific writing skills.
The project will be supervised by Henk Don and Wieb Bosma, both working in the Department of Mathematics at Radboud University. Henk Don is assistant professor of Applied Stochastics, and is working on synchronising automata and probability theory. Wieb Bosma is associate professor of Computer Algebra, and is working on applications in number theory and discrete mathematics. The Department of Mathematics is part of the Institute for Mathematics, Astrophysics and Particle Physics in the Faculty of Science .
The Department of Mathematics represents a broad range of areas, including pure and applied analysis, numerical analysis, applied stochastics, mathematical physics, algebraic geometry, algebraic topology, non-commutative geometry, and number theory. Take a look here for more information about the research conducted at the Department. The Department of Mathematics has a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, with a good balance of senior and young staff, as well as of Dutch and international researchers. Nijmegen is the oldest city in the Netherlands and has a vibrant student life.
We are keen to meet critical thinkers who want to look closer at what really matters. People who, from their expertise, wish to contribute to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This ambition unites more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University and requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- It concerns an employment for 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €3,226 and a maximum of €5,090 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 10 ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 2 years.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
You have not yet given permission to place the required cookies. Accept the required cookies to view this content.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Henk Don, Assistant Professor at +31 6 31 13 23 54 or firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively, you can contact Wieb Bosma, Associate Professor at +31 24 36 52 311 or email@example.com .
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 1 October 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Henk Don. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A motivation letter.
- Your CV including a list of publications and preprints and the contact details of two academic references.
- A list of undergraduate and graduate courses taken, including a transcript of grades.
- A copy of your PhD thesis (if available).
You would preferably begin employment on 1 January 2024.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline 01 October 2023
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.
Dr Don, H. (Henk)
firstname.lastname@example.org +31 6 31 13 23 54
Job application form
* Mandatory field
Are you an internal candidate at Radboud University?
When are you an internal candidate?
You are an internal candidate if you:
- Work at Radboud University (i.e. have an employment contract with Radboud University).
- Are a former Radboud University employee receiving unemployment (WW/BWNU) benefits paid by Radboud University (which started less than two years ago or resulted from the discontinuation of your job/redundancy).
- Currently work as a student employee at Radboud University through the campus employment office.
- Work as a temporary employee at, or have been seconded to, Radboud University.
One file only.
5 MB limit.
One file only.
6 MB limit.
One file only.
4 MB limit.
One file only.
2 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
Read our data processing policy .
Last modified: 21 September 2023
Share this page
Researcher (Junior) And Project Manager On The Horizon Eu Gs4 S Project, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 1 day ago
The Horizon EU project GS4S (Global Strategy for Skills, Migration, and Development) is a collaborative initiative of the Radboud University Network on Migrant Inclusion (RUNOMI) which is coordin...
Postdoc In Two Dimensional (2 D) Materials Heterostructure Devices, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 20 hours ago
Engineeer novel hybrid heterostructures of graphene and metal-organic frameworks to tailor materials properties. Project description We are seeking to fill a experimental post-doctoral position wi...
Postdoctoral Researcher Position On Interstellar Medium Science For Cmb Foreground Modelling, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 20 hours ago
We seek a postdoctoral researcher to work on Polarized Galactic Emission Modelling at Small Scales (P-GEMSS), a program funded by the Swedish Research Council. The aim of the program is to improve...
Research Associate/Doctoral Researcher (M/F/D) In Computational Structural Design And Additive Manufacturing , Technical University of Munich, Germany, 1 day ago
03.11.2023, Wissenschaftliches Personal The Professorship of Structural Design at the TUM School of Engineering and Design is looking for a full-time Research Associate/Doctoral Researcher in Comp...
Postdoctoral Position: Graphene Based Biosensors, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, 7 days ago
23 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Chalmers University of Technology Research Field Biological sciences » Biology Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Sweden Applic...
Postdoctoral Position: Graphene Based Biosensors, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 20 hours ago
The Mijakovic laboratory at Chalmers SysBio is recruiting a postdoctoral fellow to work on engineering of graphene-based sensors for applications in molecular diagnostics. The candidate will be w...