Postdoctoral Researcher: Drugs and Cultural Heritage in Latin America
Postdoctoral Researcher: Drugs and Cultural Heritage in Latin America
The Faculty of Arts at Radboud University is looking for a postdoctoral researcher to collaborate on the project 'Poison, Medicine or Magic Potion? Shifting Perceptions of Drugs in and from Latin America (1820-2020)', which was recently awarded a grant by the Dutch Research Council. As a postdoctoral researcher, you will join the VICI research team (including two PhD candidates, two postdoctoral researchers and the PI) and also be a member of the Radboud Institute for Culture and History (RICH) and the department of Modern Languages and Cultures (MTC).
The main aim of this project is to analyse the changing perceptions of drugs in Latin America from the continent's independence to the present day (1820-2020). The project focuses on the representation of ayahuasca, peyote and coca/cocaine over time. It uses a partially unexplored corpus of discourses on these plants, including literature, ethnography and travel writing. The project will nuance the complex yet often reductive link between drugs and violence by studying the multifaceted perceptions of drugs from a cross-cultural, diachronic and interdisciplinary perspective. Two workshops and a symposium with stakeholders will examine how cultural perceptions of drugs influence policy making and vice versa.
As a postdoctoral researcher, you will analyse and compare shifting perceptions of ayahuasca, coca/cocaine and peyote in museums and memorials, and uncover how these intersect with national and legal constitutions of indigenous culture and religion. The comparative dimension will open a fruitful discussion with broader scholarship on the relation between Indigenous knowledge and heritage. You will use the different theoretical frameworks of the project (decolonial theory, posthumanism and affect studies) to study cultural heritage in the Amazonian Basin, the Andes region, the Sierra Madre Occidental, and the Netherlands. You will contribute to the development of the PhD candidates' methodological and theoretical skills and will work closely together with your fellow postdoctoral researcher on Drugs and Tourism in Latin America. In addition, you will work with scientific and societal partners in Latin America and in the Netherlands. You will organise several events for stakeholders in Nijmegen and make a podcast together with the other members of the team.
Your research will be embedded in RICH. Apart from the specific context of the VICI research project, you will participate in one of its research groups and contribute to the institute in general. Together with the present staff of the research institutes, you will set up research collaborations on these topics. You will publish about your research in highly qualified journals, conference proceedings, or edited volumes. Lastly, you will be expected to teach a limited number of Bachelor’s and Master's courses.
- €3974—€5439 per month
- Nijmegen View on Google Maps
- You hold a PhD in a relevant field, such as Anthropology, Cultural Studies, Heritage Studies or a comparable discipline.
- You have excellent oral and writing skills in Spanish (C2 or native) and hold a Cambridge Certificate (CPE2 level) in English or equivalent, or you are committed to obtaining this certificate within six months.
- You are able to work independently and flexibly, taking initiative where needed, but are also able to communicate and collaborate effectively in a team setting.
- You have administrative and organisational skills and you easily manage social media.
- You are willing to live in the Netherlands during the contract period and to do field work in Latin America.
- You have a track record of international high-profile publications.
- Demonstrable experience in collaborating with museums in Latin America and with fieldwork is highly recommended.
- Demonstrable experience in interdisciplinary research, including ethnobotany, environmental humanities, historiography or anthropology, is recommended.
- Passive knowledge of Indigenous languages of Latin America relevant in this field and of Dutch is considered an advantage.
Conditions of employment
Fixed-term contract: It concerns a temporary employment for 3 years.
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €3,974 and a maximum of €5,439 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 11 ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 3 years.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
The Faculty of Arts is committed to knowledge production with a significant scientific and social impact. With over 500 academic and support staff, we teach and conduct research in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, and linguistics and communication, using innovative methodologies and working in close collaboration between the disciplines. Our research is embedded in two research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) and the Radboud Institute for Culture & History (RICH ). We currently have approximatively 2,500 students, enrolled in three departments: the Department of History, Art History and Classics, the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the Department of Language and Communication. We aim to contribute to a more sustainable and inclusive world, which is why we especially seek applications from candidates who bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and skills that will be assets to our study programmes and research profiles.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
For questions about the position, please contact Brigitte Adriaensen, Professor in Hispanic Studies, at email@example.com .
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all.
You have a part to play!
Apply for this job
Apply for this job
This application process is managed by the employer (Radboud University). Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.Apply for this job via the employer's website
Thank you for applying
Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.
Tip: save this job as favorite in your AcademicTransfer account. This gives you an immediate overview and makes it easy to find the job later on. No account yet? Create it now and take advantage of other useful functionalities too!
Back to the vacancy
You can apply until 3 April 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Brigitte Adriaensen. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation, including a description of your research agenda of approximately 500 words.
- Your CV, including the contact details of two references, a list of publications and a description of your teaching experience.
- A writing sample, relevant for this vacancy (preferably in English, but Spanish will be accepted).
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Postdoctoral Researcher: Probabilistic Graphical Models At The Donders Centre For Cognition , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
Employment 0.7 - 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 3,974 - € 5,439 Required background PhD Organizational unit Faculty of Social Sciences Application deadline 04 June 2023 Apply now Are you intereste...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Sensorimotor Neuroscience At The Donders Centre For Cognition , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
Employment 0.8 - 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 3,974 - € 5,439 Required background Research University Degree Organizational unit Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging Application deadline 11...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Modelling Social Dynamics Of Low Carbon Behaviours, Radboud University, Netherlands, 21 days ago
11 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Radboud University Research Field Economics Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 28 May 2023 - 22...
Postdoctoral Researcher: Probabilistic Graphical Models At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, 24 days ago
9 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Radboud University Research Field Cultural studies Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands Application Deadline 4 Jun 2023...
Postdoctoral Researcher: Combined Transcranial Ultrasound And Mri , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
Employment 0.8 - 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 3,974 - € 5,439 Required background PhD Organizational unit Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging Application deadline 30 June 2023 Apply now Ha...
Postdoctoral Researcher Methodology & Behavioral Interventions, Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 29 days ago
3 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc) Research Field Medical sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands App...