- 1.0 FTE
- Gross monthly salary
- € 3,974 - € 5,439
- Required background
- Organizational unit
- Faculty of Arts
- Application deadline
- 19 March 2023
Are you fascinated by computational cognitive models? And do you want to investigate how the mind processes multiple languages? The Centre for Language Studies of Radboud University is looking for a postdoctoral researcher for a project called 'The statistics of language as a novel window into the multilingual mind'.
The Centre for Language Studies (CLS) seeks a postdoctoral researcher for an NWO-funded project called 'The statistics of language as a novel window into the multilingual mind', which investigates how the languages of bilingual speakers affect each other during language comprehension. See here for more information about this project.
You will collaborate in a small project team investigating how the languages of bilingual speakers interact during the comprehension of written sentences. Your main tasks are to develop, implement and evaluate computational models that simulate bilingual sentence processing. You will present your work at international scientific meetings and in papers in journal articles and/or conference proceedings. You will also be expected to help organise group meetings and workshops, and may be asked to supervise undergraduate and graduate student projects.
- You have a PhD degree in a relevant discipline, e.g. Artificial Intelligence, Computational Linguistics, or Cognitive Science.
- You have demonstrable experience with developing computational models of language.
- You have the ability to publish scientific papers.
- You have excellent communication skills in written and spoken English; knowledge of Dutch would be useful but is not required.
- You are able to work independently and flexibly, and to take initiative where needed.
- You are able to communicate and collaborate effectively in a team setting.
- You have good organisational skills.
The Faculty of Arts is committed to knowledge production with a significant scientific and social impact. With over 500 academic and support staff, we teach and conduct research in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, and linguistics and communication, using innovative methodologies and working in close collaboration between the disciplines. Our research is embedded in two research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) and the Radboud Institute for Culture & History (RICH). We currently have approximately 2,500 students, enrolled in three departments: the Department of History, Art History and Classics, the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the Department of Language and Communication. We aim to contribute to a more sustainable and inclusive world, which is why we especially seek applications from candidates who bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds and skills that will be assets to our study programmes and research profiles.
Many CLS researchers closely collaborate with colleagues at related research institutes on the Radboud University campus, in particular the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics and the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour. You can also benefit from the presence of a large and active Artificial Intelligence department at the Faculty of Social Sciences.
You will be integrated into one of three CLS research groups : 'Language and Speech Technology', 'Grammar and Cognition', or 'Cognitive and Developmental Aspects of Multilingualism', but are also encouraged to join the meetings of the other two groups. Your direct supervisor will be Dr Stefan Frank of the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- It concerns an employment for 1.0 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €3,974 and a maximum of €5,439 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 11 ).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 4 years.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services . Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 30 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University's primary and secondary employment conditions . You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Stefan Frank, Associate Professor at +31 24 361 54 91 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 19 March 2023, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Stefan Frank. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents:
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV including the contact details of at least two academic referees.
- An academic writing sample (recent, first-authored paper).
The first round of interviews will take place on Monday 3 April. You would preferably begin employment on 1 September 2023, but earlier is possible.
We can imagine you're curious about our application procedure . It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
Apply now Application deadline 19 March 2023
We would like to recruit our new colleague ourselves. Acquisition in response to this vacancy will not be appreciated.
Dr Frank, S.L. (Stefan)
email@example.com +3124 361 54 91
Job application form
* Mandatory field
Are you an internal candidate at Radboud University?
When are you an internal candidate?
You are an internal candidate if you:
- Work at Radboud University (i.e. have an employment contract with Radboud University).
- Are a former Radboud University employee receiving unemployment (WW/BWNU) benefits paid by Radboud University (which started less than two years ago or resulted from the discontinuation of your job/redundancy).
- Currently work as a student employee at Radboud University through the campus employment office.
- Work as a temporary employee at, or have been seconded to, Radboud University.
One file only.
5 MB limit.
One file only.
6 MB limit.
One file only.
4 MB limit.
One file only.
2 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
One file only.
1 MB limit.
Read our data processing policy .
Last modified: 14 February 2023
Share this page
Postdoctoral Researcher: Drugs And Tourism In Latin America, Radboud University, Netherlands, 22 days ago
Postdoctoral Researcher: Drugs and Tourism in Latin America Postdoctoral Researcher: Drugs and Tourism in Latin America Published Deadline Location yesterday 3 Apr Nijmegen Job description The Fac...
Postdoctoral Researcher: Drugs And Cultural Heritage In Latin America, Radboud University, Netherlands, 22 days ago
Postdoctoral Researcher: Drugs and Cultural Heritage in Latin America Postdoctoral Researcher: Drugs and Cultural Heritage in Latin America Published Deadline Location yesterday 3 Apr Nijmegen Job...
Msca Doctoral Candidate/Ph D Researcher, Radboud University, Netherlands, 27 days ago
MSCA Doctoral candidate/PhD researcher MSCA Doctoral candidate/PhD researcher Published Deadline Location yesterday 26 Apr Nijmegen Job description Applications are invited for a three-year, full-...
Research Assistant Position At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
The Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour is a world-class interfaculty research centre that houses more than 700 researchers devoted to understanding the mechanistic underpinnings...
Academic Relationship Builder / Postdoctoral Researcher: Responsible Innovation, Radboud University, Netherlands, 8 days ago
Academic Relationship Builder / Postdoctoral Researcher: Responsible Innovation Academic Relationship Builder / Postdoctoral Researcher: Responsible Innovation Published Deadline Location today 9 ...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Naturalistic Neuroscience At The Donders Centre For Cognition, Radboud University, Netherlands, 12 days ago
Postdoctoral Researcher in Naturalistic Neuroscience at the Donders Centre for Cognition Postdoctoral Researcher in Naturalistic Neuroscience at the Donders Centre for Cognition Published Deadline...