Postdoctoral Researcher Computational Argumentation and Information Quality
Postdoctoral Researcher Computational Argumentation and Information Quality
Are you interested in computational argumentation and reasoning? Do you have experience with working with formal approaches to the study of argumentation and information quality?
The Institute for Logic, Language, and Computation (ILLC ) currently has a vacancy for a postdoctoral research position as part of the broader field Human(e) AI. Within this field the focus is on data and platforms for social, cultural and economic innovation. ILLC is one of the five Research Schools within the Amsterdam Institute for Humanities Research .
What are you going to do?
With current developments in AI, the field of Computational Argumentation is rapidly growing. Recently, researchers have developed procedural methods for identifying the types of arguments, e.g., 'argument from cause', 'pragmatic argument', or 'argument from expert opinion', which can be used to annotate natural argumentative discourse and provide a basis for fine-grained argument reasoning. The appointed postdoc will contribute to this line of research on argument-checking and information quality by developing (computational) linguistic models of argument type identifcation and evaluation.
Tasks of the appointed postdoc will include:
- Modeling linguistic features of various argument types relevant for determining the validity and strength of the underlying reasoning;
- Combining existing work on the identification and evaluation of arguments by project research group members of the ILLC (EPS unit), ACLC (LANCAR group) and CWI (Human-Centered Data Analytics group);
- Supporting the development of an ontology for argument modeling and designing crowdsourcing tasks for argument type identification and evaluation.
- conducting research, presenting intermediate research results at workshops and conferences and publishing single- and /or co-authored peer reviewed articles;
- participating in meetings of the project research group and developing a shared dataset, ontology, and prototype crowdsourcing task;
- co-organising knowledge dissemination activities.
- max. 38 hours per week
- max. €3974 per month
- Amsterdam View on Google Maps
University of Amsterdam (UvA)
- a PhD in Computational Argumentation, Computational Linguistics, Computer Science or Data science (for the latter, acquired expertise in Argumentation Theory is an asset);
- excellent research skills demonstrated by a track record of publishing in high-ranking journals and/or with leading presses or a demonstrable capacity to develop such a record;
- a strong cooperative attitude and willingness to engage in collaborative research;
- enthusiasm for communicating academic research to non-academic audience;
- excellent command of English.
Conditions of employment
The Postdoc researcher will be appointed at the Philosophy Department of the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Amsterdam and will conduct the research in Institute for Logic, Language, and Computation. The employment contract will be for one year. Contingent on a positive performance evaluation the contract will be extended with one year. The employment contract is for 30,4-38 hours a week. Preferred starting date is as soon as possible after the closing of the procedure.
The gross monthly salary, based on 38 hours per week and relevant experience, ranges between €3,974 to € 5,439 (scale 11). This sum does not include the 8% holiday allowance and the 8,3% year-end allowance. A favourable tax agreement, the '30% ruling', may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
What else do we offer
- excellent possibilities for further professional development and education, including participation in a dedicated Research Training group;
- an enthusiastic, inspiring and professional academic team;
- the opportunity to collaborate with leading researchers at research institutes that - partly as a result of their interdisciplinary approach - are world renowned.
Faculty of Humanities
The University of Amsterdam is the Netherlands' largest university, offering the widest range of academic programmes. At the UvA, 42,000 students, 6,000 staff members and 3,000 PhD candidates study and work in a diverse range of fields, connected by a culture of curiosity.
The Faculty of Humanities provides education and conducts research with a strong international profile in a large number of disciplines in de field of language and culture. Located in the heart of Amsterdam, the faculty maintains close ties with many cultural institutes in the capital city. Research and teaching staff focus on interdisciplinary collaboration and are active in several teaching programmes.
The Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC) is an interdisciplinary research institute at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) in which researchers from the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Humanities collaborate. Its central research area is the study of fundamental principles of encoding, transmission and comprehension of information. Research at ILLC is interdisciplinary, and aims at bringing together insights from various disciplines concerned with information and information processing, including computational linguistics, cognitive science, philosophy, computer science and artificial intelligence. ILLC offers an international research environment with world-class faculty in all of its areas of specialization. We are based in the beautiful city of Amsterdam, renowned for its historic system of canals, its laid-back cosmopolitan atmosphere, and its excellent connections to the rest of Europe and the world.
Want to know more about our organisation? Read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Dr Federica Russo
Working at UvA
The University of Amsterdam is ambitious, creative and committed: a leader in international science and a partner in innovation, the UvA has been inspiring generations since 1632.
Apply for this job
Apply for this job
This application process is managed by the employer (University of Amsterdam (UvA)). Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.Apply for this job via the employer's website
Thank you for applying
Please contact the employer for questions regarding your application.
Tip: save this job as favorite in your AcademicTransfer account. This gives you an immediate overview and makes it easy to find the job later on. No account yet? Create it now and take advantage of other useful functionalities too!
Back to the vacancy
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application. You can apply online via the link below. The deadline for applying for this vacancy is 7 April 2023.
Applications should include the following information (submitted in one .pdf):
- A letter of motivation;
- A research proposal of 800-1000 words, explaining how your expertise and background will help you approach the project thematically, conceptually, and methodologically, within the timeline of the 2 years appointment;
- A full academic CV, including a list of publications;
- The names and contact details of two references who may be approached by the selection committee.
Postdoctoral Researcher Computational Argumentation And Information Quality , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
Are you interested in computational argumentation and reasoning? Do you have experience with working with formal approaches to the study of argumentation and information quality? The Institute for...
Postdoctoral Position In Comparative Studies Of Digital Media And Political Contention, With A Background In Computational Methods, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 10 days ago
The Department of Communication, Faculty of Humanities, University of Copenhagen (UCPH), Denmark, invites applications for a two-year postdoctoral position in the fields of comparative analysis of...
Zentralinstitut John F. Kennedy Institut Exzellenzcluster „Contestations Of The Liberal Script (Scripts)“Research Assistant (Postdoc) (M/F/D) Full Time Job Limited To 31.12.2025 Entgeltgruppe 13 Tv L Fu Reference Code: Scripts Postdoc Ru Orders Bewerbungsende: 29.03.2023, Free University of Berlin, Germany, 3 days ago
The Cluster of Excellence “Contestations of the Liberal Script (SCRIPTS)” is a research consortium that analyses the contemporary controversies about liberal democracy and the market economy. The ...
Postdoc, Biodiverse Buffers, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 4 hours ago
The department includes about 100 people of which 11 are professors. Our mission is to advance the understanding of forest ecosystem processes and to progress the principles of forest ecosystem ma...
Msca Doctoral Candidate/Ph D Researcher , Radboud University, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
Employment 1.0 FTE Gross monthly salary € 2,541 - € 3,247 Required background Research University Degree Organizational unit Faculty of Arts Application deadline 26 April 2023 Apply on external we...
Junior Researcher In Private International Law , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 25 days ago
The Asser Institute, based in The Hague, and affiliated with the University of Amsterdam is seeking an enthusiastic JUNIOR RESEARCHER IN PRIVATE INTERNATIONAL LAW on a part-time basis (22,8 hours ...