16 May 2023
University of Amsterdam (UvA)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
23 Jun 2023 - 21:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Climate change brings with it urgent challenges, especially for the carbon cycle. The CO2 problem can be addressed through Carbon Capture & Storage (CCS) and/or Carbon Capture & Utilisation (CCU). Chemistry and physics can provide us with technological solutions (e.g., storing CO2 in aquifers or its electrochemical conversion into value-added products), but technology alone is not enough. History, social sciences and political science are needed to understand the societal impacts of the various solutions. This understanding is essential for a successful implementation and acceptance of the new technologies.
We will explore and evaluate CCS, CCU and CCUS technologies and develop them into conceivable socio-technical scenarios, with special emphasis on electrochemistry as an enabler of CCUS. Starting with a historical analysis of the innovation context, we will analyse the scope and impact of the technologies based on regional and national resources in the Netherlands, Greece and Norway. The European data will be compared with data from Zhejiang province in China and from Brazil. Our overall goal is designing an integrated CCUS process with a high degree of social, political, and technological acceptance.
The social sciences aspects of the project will be aligned with the experimental part.
We are looking for a result-oriented social scientist who can work independently and drive their research project forward.
The Heterogeneous Catalysis and Sustainable Chemistry Group (HCSC) has an opening for postdoctoral researcher within the van 't Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences (HIMS) at the University of Amsterdam .
Do you want to make a difference in the fight against Global Climate Change?
To evaluate the different scenarios in CCUS, collaborations with experimental and social & behavioral groups within University of Amsterdam are foreseen. The position is for 1.5 years starting on 1st September 2023. Candidates must have a PhD and a strong Social & Behavioral Sciences background.
This position will be based at the Van 't Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences, and will be jointly supervised by dr Amanda Garcia from the Faculty of Sciences and prof. dr John Grin from the Faculty of Social Behavioral and Sciences.
What are you going to do?
The current, social-science vacancy is for a post-doc position to assess, ex ante, for the abovementioned applications the societal and technological impacts of CCS and CCU technologies and scenarios, with special emphasis on the impacts of electrochemical conversion options for CO2 in the Netherlands and Western Europe. To obtain a balanced view and examine the transferability of the conclusions across countries and societies, you will compare the European data with data for Zhejiang province in China, obtained via our connection to the Shanghai Institute for Cleantech Innovation and Brazil. Findings are to be translated into design criteria for the further technical development of innovations, so as to promote their successful introduction.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Write articles for publication and present papers/ posters at national and international conferences as directed by the head of laboratory.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills in English.
- Collaborate with the postdoc at the experimental group.
- Contribute a dynamic group of students and researchers.
- Provide general assistance as needed with other research related activities.
- Write progress reports and prepare results for publication and dissemination via journals, presentations and the web.
- Oversee, supervise and train, in association with the supervisor, undergraduate and postgraduate students
Your experience and profile:
- A PhD degree in Social and Behavioral Sciences, or related field
- Experience in Science and Technology Studies (STS)
- Experience with Lifecycle, PEST and Impact analyses are required.
- Experience with Interactive Technology Assessment (ITA).
- Experience in supervising PhD research;
- Experience in supporting tasks and the willingness to take the responsibility for administrative tasks, such as organisation meetings/workshops;
- Flexible, readiness to participate in interdisciplinary cooperation and multidisciplinary development (verifiably focused on collaboration with other disciplines);
A temporary contract for 38 hours per week, preferably starting on 1-9-2022, for the duration of 18 months.
Based on a full-time contract (38 hours per week) the gross monthly salary will range from €2,960 to €4,670 (scale 10). This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. A favourable tax agreement, the '30% ruling', may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
The UvA offers excellent possibilities for further professional development and education.
Besides the salary and a vibrant and challenging environment at Science Park we offer you multiple fringe benefits:
- 232 holiday hours per year (based on fulltime) and extra holidays between Christmas and 1 January;
- multiple courses to follow from our Teaching and Learning Centre;
- a complete educational program for PhD students;
- multiple courses on topics such as leadership for academic staff;
- multiple courses on topics such as time management, handling stress and an online learning platform with 100+ different courses;
- 7 weeks birth leave (partner leave) with 100% salary;
- partly paid parental leave;
- the possibility to set up a workplace at home;
- a pension at ABP for which UvA pays two third part of the contribution;
- the possibility to follow courses to learn Dutch;
- help with housing for a studio or small apartment when you're moving from abroad.
Are you curious to read more about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits, take a look here .
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 20-6-2023. You may apply online by using the link below.
Applications in 2 PDFs should include:
- a letter of motivation
- a curriculum vitae (including complete list of publications) and names and contact details (email and telephone numbers) of three references
Note that this position requires a PhD and proven knowledge/experience in social and behavioral sciences. Candidates who do not fulfil these two requirements will not be considered.
We will recruit until the position is filled and close the position when a suitable candidate is found.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Dr. Amanda Garcia, assistant professor, email@example.com
T: +31 20 525 2351
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Faculty of Science
- Postal Code
- Science Park 904
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Post Doctoral Fellow Hajime Hirao Project, Warshel Institute For Computational Biology, THE CHINESE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG - SHENZHEN, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
Post Specification The ideal candidate for this postdoctoral fellow position should possess the following qualifications and attributes: a track record of excellence and substantial experience in ...
Postdoc: Resolving Surface Reactions In Plasma Catalysis (Surplas) , ARCNL, Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
Surface reactions live in plasma environment This postdoc position connects the two active research fields of surface science and plasma chemistry. The project aims to understand the active state ...
Postdoc Clinical Psychology , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 3 days ago
We are seeking a highly qualified and motivated postdoc to join the UvA Clinical Psychology Department, and work closely with (a) staff member(-s) on setting up research, writing papers and/or app...
Postdoctoral Researcher Gendered Mobilities , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 15 days ago
Are you exceptionally interested in the subject of urban planning, mobility and gender? Would you like to conduct theoretically ambitious and socially relevant research on gendered mobilities in c...
Postdoc On: Deep Removal Of Co2 And Inno Vative Electrification Concepts (Drive), Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 2 days ago
In our research group Membrane Materials and Processes we have the following position available: 1 postdoc (2 years) on: Deep Removal of CO2 and InnoVative Electrification concepts (DRIVE) Positio...
Postdoc Road User Motion Prediction For Self Driving Vehicles, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 2 days ago
The Intelligent Vehicles (IV) group at TU Delft aims to increase the safety, comfort and sustainability of transportation by means of automated driving. The group conducts problem-driven research...