17 Nov 2023
University of Amsterdam (UvA)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
17 Dec 2023 - 22:59 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
The group of Lorenz Eberhardt which is part of the Institute for Theoretical Physics (ITFA) at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) invites applications for a postdoctoral fellow with excellent research track in String Theory and Mathematical Physics.
The position is funded by the ERC Starting Grant 'New Handles for String Scattering Amplitudes' whose aim is to develop new tools in the study of string theory. The position carries with it a competitive salary and travel funds.
What are you going to do?
You will work in a team that seeks to push understanding of string theory further by applying a variety of novel technology.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- conducting original research in string theory, resulting in academic publications in peer-reviewed international journals and presentations at international conferences and workshops
- take part in local activities such as the weekly string theory seminar and journal club
- You are encouraged to help organize local seminar and journal clubs
- You will have the opportunity to co-supervise Bachelor and Master theses and tutoring students.
Your experience and profile
- PhD in theoretical physics or a suitable subject area of mathematics
- Track record or research excellence, particularly in the study of string theory, scattering amplitudes, conformal field theory and mathematical physics
- Professional command of English
We offer a temporary employment contract for 38 hours per week for a period of 24 months (two years) with a possible extension of a third year upon successful performance, subject to funding and mutual agreement. The preferred starting date is September or October 2024. The gross monthly salary, based on 38 hours per week and dependent on relevant experience, ranges between € 3,226 to € 5,090 (scale 10). This does not include 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% year-end allowance. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Universities of the Netherlands is applicable.
Besides the salary and a vibrant and challenging environment at Science Park we offer you multiple fringe benefits:
- 232 holiday hours per year (based on fulltime) and extra holidays between Christmas and 1 January;
- multiple courses to follow from our Teaching and Learning Centre;
- multiple courses on topics such as leadership for academic staff;
- multiple courses on topics such as time management, handling stress and an online learning platform with 100+ different courses;
- 7 weeks birth leave (partner leave) with 100% salary;
- partly paid parental leave;
- the possibility to set up a workplace at home;
- a pension at ABP for which UvA pays two third part of the contribution;
- the possibility to follow courses to learn Dutch;
- help with housing for a studio or small apartment when you’re moving from abroad.
Are you curious to read more about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits, take a look here .
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application. You can apply online via the joint postdoc applications related to theories on the unification of fundamental interactions Leuven portal. Follow the instructions for application there and include the University of Amsterdam in your preference list. (Please see application instruction in bold below). We accept applications until and including 17 December 2023.
Applications should include the following information (all files besides your cv should be submitted in one single pdf file):
- a detailed CV including the months (not just years) when referring to your education and work experience;
- a letter of motivation;
- a research plan;
- the names and email addresses of three references who can provide letters of recommendation.
APPLICATIONS ONLY VIA LEUVEN PORTAL USING THIS LINK
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Lorenz Eberhardt, Assistant Professor, [email protected]
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Faculty of Science
- Postal Code
- Science Park 904
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Postdoctoral Positions In Active And Soft Matter And Biophysics , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Are you enthusiastic about exploring the fascinating interplay between physics and mechanics? We are delighted to offer two exciting postdoctoral positions in the Machine Materials Laboratory , a...
Internal Research Assistant 'Vital Elements And Postcolonial Moves' , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 11 days ago
The Department of Anthropology currently has an internal temporary vacancy concerning a part-time research assistant for the project ‘Vital Elements and Postcolonial Moves: Forensics as the Art ...
Postdoctoral Position In Planetary Dynamics And Atmospheres , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 10 days ago
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral position at the Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy (API) at the University of Amsterdam Netherlands (UvA) to work with Assistant Professors Silvi...
Postdoc: Imaging And Metrology Via Ultra Thin Optical Fibers , ARCNL, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
As a postdoc, you will develop new concepts for nanoscale imaging and metrology by integrating computational imaging, multimode fibers, lensless microscopy, and advanced light control in complex m...
Internal Postdoctoral: Effective Ai Based Shared Decision Making In Healthcare , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 12 days ago
- This vacancy is only for internal candidates - We are looking for a postdoc researcher in effective AI-based shared decision-making in healthcare. Are you interested in doing ground-breaking res...
Junior Researcher In The Project 'Reparations In Development' , University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
Are you interested in international development? Are you not afraid of using both qualitative and quantitative research methods? Do you want to push the boundaries of economic thought and practice...