Irène Curie Fellowship
Institutes and others
EIRES - Eindhoven Institute for Renewable Energy Systems
Research project description
Will you join us in our pursuit towards carbon-free heating and cooling in urban areas? We look for an enthusiastic(postdoc) researcher to advance the use of building performance simulation with enriched and diversified user profiles.
User behaviour can be a barrier to achieving optimal CO2 reduction potential of the energy transition in the built environment. If not used appropriately, advanced energy systems may not achieve their potential, in some cases leading to increased rather than decreased energy demand for heating and cooling. This in turn can lead to decreased levels of acceptance of these solutions, and thus slow down the energy transition. On the other hand, behaviour change can also harbour significant potential for energy savings, for example in the form of changing conventions of comfort, that is not always tapped into in the design of future solutions. System engineers have difficulties integrating the dynamics of social change into their designs because they are not trained to anticipate the complex relations between (building) system design and user behaviour. Design support tools, e.g. based on building performance simulation, tend to assume typical or average users as starting point, thereby overlooking the needs of specific subgroups and well-documented phenomena such as the (p)rebound effect. This project will deploy advanced building performance simulations to explore optimization potential in considering (future) energy practices, based on data of actual residents, as well as out-of-the-box scenarios developed using creative methods.
This postdoc will work between the Building Performance group of the Department of the Built Environment and the Future Everyday group of the Industrial Design Department. The (intermediate) outcomes of the project will provide valuable insights for the modelling of consumer behaviour of heating systems, as well as for determining and optimizing demand side reduction potential, resulting in insights for system design and decision-making for energy-efficient retrofits.
This position and research project are made possible by the BEHeaT program initiated by the Eindhoven Institute for Renewable Energy Systems (EIRES ). EIRES facilitates the collaborative development and swift deployment of new technologies and devices by bringing together TU/e researchers working on materials, systems, and processes for energy storage and conversion.
EIRES consists of collaborating research groups within TUe. These include over 140 researchers and more than 450 PhDs. EIRES brings these researchers together and creates new network connections between researchers and industry.
Within the focus area of energy transition in the built environment, a large-scale research program was recently launched. This program, BEHeaT, stands for Built Environment Heat Transition. The program is funded with TUe's own resources as well as contributions from industry. The research program has a pragmatic approach.
Within the BEHeaT program, research is conducted into the (further) development of various (new) materials, components and/or systems in relation to intelligent buildings, heat storage, heat networks and/or electricity grids. The focus is not only on physical materials, components and systems, but also on dynamic (predictive) models. We believe that in order to have impact, any research must take systems integration as its starting point. In addition, we believe that technology does not stand alone and should always be seen in relation to the (end) user. In this way, the impact of research results is increased.
- Motivated researcherwith a PhD in Architectural Engineering, Building Science, Building, Civil, Mechanical or Environmental Engineering, or a comparable domain.
- The ideal candidate would have Demonstrable experience in computational building performance simulation (e.g. EnergyPlus, Trnsys, IDA ICE), scripting and data analysis (e.g. using Python, Matlab or R).
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, reflected in demonstratable outputs.
- A team player who enjoys coaching PhD and Master's students and working in a dynamic, interdisciplinary team.
- A proven ability to manage complex projects to completion on schedule.
- Excellent (written and verbal) proficiency in English, good communication skills.
- Independent and responsible.
- Can-do mentality
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for 2 years.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 10
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A TU/e Postdoc Association that helps you to build a stronger and broader academic and personal network, and offers tailored support, training and workshops.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and a compensation for moving expenses.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact hiring manager dr.ir. Roel Loonen, Assistant Professor, r.c.g.m.loonen[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 2571.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. You can also contact HR Services at HRServices.BE[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
We invite you to submit a complete application using the apply-button.
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- List of five self-selected ‘best publications’.
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
Postdoc On Electro Osmotic Drying Of Diluted Biomass Streams, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 13 days ago
Postdoc on Electro-osmotic drying of diluted biomass streams Postdoc on Electro-osmotic drying of diluted biomass streams Published Deadline Location today 25 Jun Eindhoven Job description In our ...
Post Doc In Machine Learning For Integrated Circuit Design Flow, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, about 1 month ago
PostDoc in Machine Learning for Integrated Circuit design flow PostDoc in Machine Learning for Integrated Circuit design flow Published Deadline Location yesterday 18 Jun Eindhoven Job description...
Postdoc On Evaluation Of An Alternative Heating Source For Automated Fibre Placement, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
Evaluation of new heating method automated fibre placement. Automated Fibre Placement (AFP) is one of the methods currently used to produce composite structures in an automated fashion. When using...
Postdoctoral Fellow Position For Interactive Polymer Materials, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 6 days ago
26 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) Research Field Technology Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands Application D...
Postdoc On Electro Osmotic Drying Of Diluted Biomass Streams, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), Netherlands, 12 days ago
19 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) Research Field Technology Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Netherlands Application D...
Postdoc Automated Multimodal Pod Based Mobility Systems For Passengers And Freight, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
Come join our team as an enthusiastic postdoctoral fellow to lead multi-disciplinary research on cutting-edge rail-based freight mobility systems. The advent of market-ready digital solutions and ...