Irène Curie Fellowship
Are you eager to work on the development of a high-content analysis tool for the investigation of crosstalk between cells and biomaterials? We have a compelling and stimulating project at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) in the cross section between microfabrication and regenerative medicine. The challenge is to develop the initial stage of a very powerful microfluidic array for cell-screening.
In this project, you will develop innovative approaches/tools to facilitate the investigation of cell-material interactions and subsequent cellular responses, while the main focus will be on biosensor integration into a digital microfluidic platform. Crosstalk between cells and (bio)materials plays a key role in the cell differentiation process in regenerative medicine applications. For such applications, an embedded biosensor toolbox in microfluidic platforms can create functional and impactful research tools for the screening of cell behavior.
You will contribute to the high-content cell screening program of the Biosensors and Devices Research Group. The core of the lab-on-a-chip device will be hundreds of independent cell-culturing microunits with fluidic access to culture media with different compositions. In this array, separate units will exploit the multiplexed analysis of biomolecules and chemical agents in real-time. You will design and manufacture the devices with embedded high-content analysis units. Furthermore, you will design and build a measurement setup, where you will perform and interpret the measurements. Cells, cell biomarkers, and polymers are targeted analytes. It will be important to develop a good data analysis insight into the different factors (that alter the cell behavior), which if necessary, can be modeled using an analytical or finite-element-based approach. You are expected to do scientific research in the field described above, publish research results in scientific journals, and write research proposals.
- Motivated researcher, with a PhD in Bioengineering, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Microfabrication research, or a comparable domain.
- Prior experience with microfabrication of different integrated sensors is a plus.
- Prior experience with microscopy techniques is a plus along with competencies in computer-based quantification/analysis tools (Matlab, COMSOL, or similar).
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research, reflected in demonstratable outputs.
- A team player who enjoys coaching PhD and Master's students and working in a dynamic, interdisciplinary team.
- A proven ability to manage complex projects to completion on schedule.
- Excellent (written and verbal) proficiency in English, good communication and leadership skills.
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for 2 years.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 10, step 4 (min. € 3.557,-. Max. € 4.670,-).
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A TU/e Postdoc Association that helps you to build a stronger and broader academic and personal network, and offers tailored support, training and workshops.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and a compensation for moving expenses.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
The research will be performed within the Biosensors and Devices Research Group in the Department of Biomedical Engineering under the supervision of dr. Burcu Gumuscu-Sefunc. Our research is dedicated to understanding and applying basic microfluidics and microfabrication principles at the biointerfaces, especially for regenerative medicine.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?
Please contact dr. Gumuscu-Sefunc, Assistant Professor, b.gumuscu[at]tue.nl or +31 40 247 8373.
Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page .
Additional information on the department you can find on:
We invite you to submit a complete application using the apply-button. The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information of three references.
- List of five self-selected ‘best publications’.
- Brief description (abstract) of your PhD thesis.
We look forward to receiving your application and will screen it as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
Postdoctoral Position In Brain Tumor Biology And Cancer Stem Cells , University of Basel, Switzerland, 9 days ago
We offer you A stimulating research environment in an internationally renewed research team. The lab has extensive experience with conditional genetics, lineage tracing and mouse models of glioma....
Research Fellow, Human Genetics, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, about 14 hours ago
Job Description The successful candidate will work with Dr Liu Boxiang on single-cell sequencing under a project on single-cell sequencing of adipose from type-2 diabetes patients. The main respon...
Research Assistant In Immunology With Advanced Light Microscopy (Temporary Employment), Stockholm University, Sweden, 3 days ago
Ref. No. SU FV-1966-23 at the Department of biochemistry and biophysics . Closing date: 31 May 2023. SciLifeLab (SciLifeLab ) is a national center for molecular biosciences with a focus on health ...
Research Assistant In Immunology With Advanced Light Microscopy (Temporary Employment), SciLifeLab, Sweden, about 19 hours ago
SciLifeLab (SciLifeLab ) is a national center for molecular biosciences with a focus on health and environmental research. The center combines frontline technical expertise with advanced knowledge...
Postdoctoral Position In Brain Tumor Biology And Cancer Stem Cells, ETH, Switzerland, 10 days ago
Postdoctoral Position in Brain Tumor Biology and Cancer Stem Cells (100%) - available as agreed The Department of Biomedicine of the University of Basel is a leading research institute in Switzerl...
Postdoc Position At The Leibniz Institute For Immunotherapy (Lit) (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 8 days ago
Postdoc position (E13) at the Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (LIT) with flexible starting date (m/f/d) The LIT - Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (foundation under civil law) (http://www.r...